Author Topic: drum brake paint  (Read 6337 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
drum brake paint
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »
does anyone know if they put a hand painted ring on the exterior of the drums when cars got options mag wheels  like they did in 65
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: drum brake paint
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
does anyone know if they put a hand painted ring on the exterior of the drums when cars got options mag wheels  like they did in 65
Yes they did. 65-70 Shelby
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
Does anyone have a picture???

Cheers,

Steve

Also, what is the black paint [gloss, semi-gloss or flat] for the drum and the backing plate?
SFM 6S406

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »

Cheers,

Steve

Also, what is the black paint [gloss, semi-gloss or flat] for the drum and the backing plate?
Yes, semi-gloss black on both, regardless of the final wheel all the backing plates were painted both sides. 

The "face" of the drum was painted black so that as the drum rusted it would not show through the open areas of the wheel.  This was done (to my understanding) with a large brush of semi-gloss and not very neatly, runs onto the sides was not unusual.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »

Semi- gloss black for the backing plate  and the same for the drum face though the applications were very different producing different looking results

Here is a picture of an original take off. The orange is rust - digital cameras change the look at times. Area and amount would have varied depending on worker applying

And a reproduction of the look on another year

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »
Love these old original pictures, you can really see they were built as a production car and not perfect
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »

Semi- gloss black for the backing plate  and the same for the drum face though the applications were very different producing different looking results

Here is a picture of an original take off. The orange is rust - digital cameras change the look at times. Area and amount would have varied depending on worker applying

And a reproduction of the look on another year

OUCH! Is it really worthwhile to be THAT accurate? This is PAINFUL!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »

You must be one of those owners that has problems with applying the firewall sealant around the contract and pass through spots :)

Now you don't have to reproduce the surface rust ....if that is what your thinking  ::)     lol
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 07:28:31 PM »

You must be one of those owners that has problems with applying the firewall sealant around the contract and pass through spots :)

Now you don't have to reproduce the surface rust ....if that is what your thinking  ::)     lol

OOOOOH! The pain, the pain!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »
I can have my two year old grandson paint mine

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »

Then just remember have him wear old clothes and make sure the nozzle points away from him ;)  Might let my 6 year old do it but not the two year old

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 08:23:28 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
While the drum faces were brushed, am I correct that the backing plates were dipped rather than sprayed?
5S071, 6S1467

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »

Then just remember have him wear old clothes and make sure the nozzle points away from him ;)  Might let my 6 year old do it but not the two year old

Ah common. That's child's play. Try deciding on what kind of handgun a 5 year old can handle so he can be safe in school?

I'm leaning towards a James Bond type Barretta. The hard part is deciding on a holster. I like a shoulder holster.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
While the drum faces were brushed, am I correct that the backing plates were dipped rather than sprayed?

that was my understanding too
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0