News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

SPINDLES

Started by johnzajc@gmail.com, September 04, 2019, 12:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnzajc@gmail.com

hi--I have DOAZ 3108 Spindles on 69 HD suspension June production Shelby gt 500---are this correct or do I need C9AZ Casting number--thank you for clarification

TOBKOB

I believe that is the correct spindles that followed the KXX spindles. The KXX spindles were used for a short time until they started production on the new spindles.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TOBKOB on September 04, 2019, 09:07:41 AM
I believe that is the correct spindles that followed the KXX spindles. The KXX spindles were used for a short time until they started production on the new spindles.

TOB
The KKX marked spindle machined for the Boss 302/Shelby and not the Boss 429 was used first for a very short time as has been mentioned (3/69 4/69 ?) . The OP listed D0AZ 3108  spindle would only be correct on a 6/69 Shelby if it had the all important "B" suffix. That D0AZ 3108- B spindle is the same as Boss 302 . It also takes a special Boss/Shelby Rotor. A common 70 regular Mustang rotor will not work on a Shelby/Boss spindle.That is the reason why many were changed out. The big suspension big bearing spindles were commonly changed out with the regular 70 Mustang/Torino D0AZ 3108 C spindles because the 70 Mustang rotors were common and the tie rod ends were the same larger diameter so the 70 regular Mustang/Torino D0AZ 3108 C spindle easily could be substituted. This typically happened the first time a Big suspension Shelby needed a rotor. The C9 spindle would only work if you changed from the larger tie rod ends to the smaller tie rod ends.You would also use the smaller bearing 68/69 rotor with the C9 spindle.  The Boss spindles are very hard to find. This is all from my time at the Ed Meyer school of "Big Suspension"  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TOBKOB

QuoteThe KKK marked spindle machined for the Boss 302/Shelby and not the Boss 429 was used first for a very short time as has been mentioned (3/69 4/69 ?)

LOL Bob, I don't know what is going on this AM but both of us are having trouble spelling KKX...LOL... ;D

TOB

johnzajc@gmail.com

Thank you so much, all that information is beyond being helpful, it is beyond the words to express how valuable it is---THANKS AGAIN

johnzajc@gmail.com

Hi ---on other car early June production I have both DOZA 3108    ----B--- AND KKX on passenger side, to be correct I assume we need to change later to 3107 or would it be wise th change them both to  C suffix if I can find them---thanks

TOBKOB

Don't get in too big of a hurry to change them as I have read of some cars having one of each. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

TOB

Special Ed

No doaz spindle on mustangs doza mustang and yes have seen some cars with  B9  kkx (with the wire wrap)shortened on 1 side and doza -b on other side.

johnzajc@gmail.com

thank you---essentially , if it is not broken do not fix it