Author Topic: 289 HP motor "have you seen this?"  (Read 2137 times)

BajaBroncos

• View Profile
289 HP motor "have you seen this?"
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »
I have a '66 Hipo block, harmonic balancer, and intake that seem to be parts born together.   It does have a San Jose Mustang VIN, but before we get excited, it's a coupe.   (cant remember if I looked into trans am coupe date codes, but I believe i did....hmm.)  Anyway, I'll post some pics.   Take a look at the "K" in the VIN stamped.   A friend said it looks like they made the K with a Zand and 1 maybe.   Just curious if anyone has a similar K stamp on a Shelby or seen one like it anywhere. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 289 HP motor "have you seen this?"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
Anomalies happen. With that said I haven't seen one like that but of course I haven't seen all that are possible. That "K" is not typical from what I have seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 09:41:37 PM »
VIN details and anomalies are not something I feel real comfortable discussion in a public setting like some of the other details.

Just a choice I make for myself
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

BajaBroncos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 09:56:36 PM »
Yeah, agreed Jeff...I’m the same way with the baja broncos.  Thanks for your replies.  It sure is weird.  I think.  I know where it’s been since 86 too.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »
I have a '66 Hipo block, harmonic balancer, and intake that seem to be parts born together.   It does have a San Jose Mustang VIN, but before we get excited, it's a coupe.   (cant remember if I looked into trans am coupe date codes, but I believe i did....hmm.)  Anyway, I'll post some pics.   Take a look at the "K" in the VIN stamped.   A friend said it looks like they made the K with a Zand and 1 maybe.   Just curious if anyone has a similar K stamp on a Shelby or seen one like it anywhere.

Yes. You will find a lot of them stamped with a "K" like that during a certain period of production.

I've documented quite a few examples including the original engine in a car of my own.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »
  +1 San Jose did many with an l stamp , hit three times. The trick as is to know "when" as some were clearly done with a conventional K stamp. Like Jeff said some details shouldn't be "public" but it is also important to know that anomalies in this case did happen.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »
Think we're doing well side stepping the details while confirming the possibility. Hopefully we don't get a couple of dozen new VIN stampings done based on the "possibility" and the picture ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge