Author Topic: 66 GT 350 Air Cleaner Hold Down Wing Nut  (Read 4733 times)

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
66 GT 350 Air Cleaner Hold Down Wing Nut
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:41:44 PM »
Would someone please tell me if the air cleaner wing nut has one or two dimples on the bottom.
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Re: 66 GT 350 Air Cleaner Hold Down Wing Nut
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
I believe it’s 2. We had some good pics on this topic in the old site I think. Not sure who posted them but if none posted by this arvo I’ll take mine off and post some.

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »
I believe it’s 2. We had some good pics on this topic in the old site I think. Not sure who posted them but if none posted by this arvo I’ll take mine off and post some.

Cheers
+1. Also I have seen two different design indentation on the top side .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:27:41 PM »
Do we believe that the hipo air cleaner used a different wing nut than other Mustang air cleaners?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:48:12 PM »
Do we believe that the hipo air cleaner used a different wing nut than other Mustang air cleaners?
It depends on what the other Mustangs used I guess. I sure wish we still had the popcorn emoji . ;D 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:54:02 PM »
It depends on what the other Mustangs used I guess. I sure wish we still had the popcorn emoji . ;D

Guess I could ask it this way.

Is it the common belief that San Jose (an likely other plants) had two different containers for the workers to grab the wing nuts out of when they were installing air cleaners on the assembly line. One for Hipo's and one for the other Mustang V8 air cleaners
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »

Guess I could ask it this way.

Is it the common belief that San Jose (an likely other plants) had two different containers for the workers to grab the wing nuts out of when they were installing air cleaners on the assembly line. One for Hipo's and one for the other Mustang V8 air cleaners
The different style would more be likely a different plant scenario then one from the same plant IMO.

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:29 AM »

Cheers
That would be great and thanks. Pictures are always nice...

Les 1348
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
  Jeff ,
     I take it you are suggesting a single depression?
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:17:53 PM »
  Jeff ,
     I take it you are suggesting a single depression?

Yes. Tried to find the pictures that were posted for the discussion (pre-crash) of the shape of the depression but can't locate them at the moment. But looking at allot of what appear to be unrestored Mustangs built at the same plant and time I'm seeing allot of single depression examples which is making them hard to ignore. Of course allot of the period pictures don't show the surface very clearly but many appear to lack a second on also but due to condition of the pictures they can't be used by themselves to any certainty IMHO

So since they were all installed (both Hipo and standard V8 air cleaners) at the same station at San Jose  it doesn't make sense that the worker had two separate bins for each. More likely one for V8's and one for 6 cylinders

Just bringing it back up for discussion :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:21:39 PM by J_Speegle »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
   The majority of originals I have are single. I have both the rounded and square style depressions. I have a couple of two depression style. I'm covered regadless of what is decided. LOL
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »
Hi all, I looked at mine last night and it’s a single! and looks original (original carb also) Ill post detailed pics tonight

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 03:29:34 AM »
Here are some pics guys, but hard to make out but single dimple rounded edges

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »
A zoomed in picture of 67 0050 magazine out take shows a single dimple with a squared edge impression on the top side. At the very least that could be considered typical in Sept /Oct of 67 at SJ plant given the example.   

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 09:15:22 PM »
1965-67 NOS Mustang & Shelby GT350 289 HIPO Air Cleaner Wing Nut https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332566511853

No affiliation