Author Topic: Was Shelby-American considered a manufacturer ?  (Read 6883 times)

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Was Shelby-American considered a manufacturer ?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »
I got lucky in Texas. The abbreviation on my title is "SHELBY AME". But then my car was originally shipped to Houston and has never left this area. If a car was bought from out of state there's no telling what they'd put on the title.

Steve

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
Though it should be noted that some DMVs list Ford on titles..Even while they use the SA vin...go figure...
Although the MFG of record, Shelby was a obscure MFG relatively speaking and because of that rather then check some DMV's simply used "Ford" . When presented with reasonable proof they will cave to the reality. Food for thought however ,a Shelby is a Shelby regardless of it says Ford or SA on the title ,registration etc. the Shelby name may smooth our pride and egos BUT it is a tool for local governments that charge sales tax or annual personal property tax to get more money from you in tax's. If you are lucky enough to have your car assessed at a lower value like a regular Mustang that can always change in the future when city and state governments looking for extra income use a algorithm to sort out all of the Shelby's and Cobras for re assessment of value for the purpose of taxation of the added value. The point is you might think twice about changing a titled to Shelby for that taxation reason. I know of Cobra owners with Ford on their title that if the sometimes 7 figure value was known by the tax man would cost them quite a bit more every year. Just sayin   ;)     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »
Though it should be noted that some DMVs list Ford on titles..Even while they use the SA vin...go figure...
Although the MFG of record, Shelby was a obscure MFG relatively speaking and because of that rather then check some DMV's simply used "Ford" . When presented with reasonable proof they will cave to the reality. Food for thought however ,a Shelby is a Shelby regardless of it says Ford or SA on the title ,registration etc. the Shelby name may smooth our pride and egos BUT it is a tool for local governments that charge sales tax or annual personal property tax to get more money from you in tax's. If you are lucky enough to have your car assessed at a lower value like a regular Mustang that can always change in the future when city and state governments looking for extra income use a algorithm to sort out all of the Shelby's and Cobras for re assessment of value for the purpose of taxation of the added value. The point is you might think twice about changing a titled to Shelby for that taxation reason. I know of Cobra owners with Ford on their title that if the sometimes 7 figure value was known by the tax man would cost them quite a bit more every year. Just sayin   ;)     

^^^This     :-\

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 06:10:23 PM »
  Here's a curve  that we have spoken of in the past . My original California title lists the make as GT350 and model cpe for coupe. MANY here were done like that
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »
  Here's a curve  that we have spoken of in the past . My original California title lists the make as GT350 and model cpe for coupe. MANY here were done like that

Yes, same situation for #1183.  Make=GT500, Body Type Model=CPEBACK.  No mention of Ford or Shelby.

Edit: typed Mode, meant Model.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:23:24 PM by 67_1183 »
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 01:25:59 AM »
In Ca. You are supposed to be charged fees based on the purchase price of the vehicle ,not fair market value,so if you got yours when they were cheap....My reg. fees are higher for my 2008 Toyota than for my 67 Shelby...go figure.....

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 03:14:04 AM »
Shelby reactivated his mfg license in the 80s whe he teamed up with Beverly Hills Mustang to build 12 more 66 GT350 cinvertibles. 4 for CS, 4 for BHM and 4 to sell to pay for the whole run. CA required that 95% of the car be new for DMV to recognize them as newly manufactured cars.
6S843 was registered in CA as a GT350 CPE. I got a no smog pump ticket and took the owners manual (with the CA smog exemption letter in it) to the judge that along with the fact that the cop wrote Ford as make on the ticket got it dismissed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:03:13 AM by 89SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »
And again for the Series 1 manufacturing in the 1999.  I believe he used it earlier for limited run of continuation 427 Cobras on the left over chassis.  I am sure we have others that have more detail on this.  It does get confusing when Shelby American was temporarily changed to Shelby Automobiles for the Ventures group involvement.   

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 04:18:46 AM »
CS held that mfg license up until 1998 when he moved SAI to NV / he kept the license all those decades  8)
NO - CS had let the license lapse - probably at the end of the 67 production. When he teamed up with J Brunk of Beverly Hills Mustang he reactivated the license to manufacture 12 1966 GT 350 convertibles. Those cars had to be at least 80% new parts to be called new manufacture.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 01:48:14 PM »
    No not really.  While they started out as R codes, Ford ( at the KK facility) modified them to Boss 429 configuration "before" sale to the public. They were sold with the Z engine code not R. The end customer didn't "buy a CJ" and take it to KK for mods.

Since you brought it up........Didn't some 1969 Boss 429 Cars have an "S" Code?

ChicagoChris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »
I thought he changed to Shelby Automobiles when Shelby American/Series 1 situation went south?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »
Since you brought  it up........Didn't some 1969 Boss 429 Cars have an "S" Code?

All the Boss 429s were VIN coded with a “Z” for the engine.

The “S” and “T“ designations are simply a way to differentiate changes made to the Boss 429 during the production run.

I think those are listed on the engine tag only?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:08:07 PM by Coralsnake »

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
I thought he changed to Shelby Automobiles when Shelby American/Series 1 situation went south?
It was changed during the lawsuit, but CS the case against the Ventures investors and reclaimed the Shelby American name as Shelby American, Inc.  but no longer has a MSO manufacturers status.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »
It was changed during the lawsuit, but CS the case against the Ventures investors and reclaimed the Shelby American name as Shelby American, Inc.  but no longer has a MSO manufacturers status.
They probably issue MSOs. That is just the paperwork for manufacturing the chassis/body of a car - continuation Cobras etc. All kit car manufacturers and complete car manufacturers issue these. It is what you take to DMV to register. It is different and a far cry to being able to put labels (and notation on MSO) that vehicle conforms to NTSB/EPA specs.
Current regs and required testing adding up to 100s of thousands is the reason that CS only does post title mods to street legal cars. You own the car and decide to modify. The messing with emissions/crash regs is on you not them.