Author Topic: Was Shelby-American considered a manufacturer ?  (Read 6882 times)

Wedgeman

• View Profile
Was Shelby-American considered a manufacturer ?
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
Saw a discussion on another forum that stated that there were never any 427 engines installed from the factory in any Mustang or Shelby.When I stated that there were 3 427 Shelbys built in 1967 and documented. I was told that didn't count because they had all left the  FACTORY  with 428 engines, and the 427 was installed by SA. I have always thought that SA was a manufacturer...would like some input  on this subject.

zray

• View Profile
Re: Was Shelby-American considered a manufacturer ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:53:51 PM »
"........... I have always thought that SA was a manufacturer...would like some input  on this subject.

Yes they were.  Otherwise they would never have been allowed to put their own serial numbers over the Ford VIN's, and have the Shelby VIN on the title.

Z

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
"........... I have always thought that SA was a manufacturer...would like some input  on this subject.

Yes they were.  Otherwise they would never have been allowed to put their own serial numbers over the Ford VIN's, and have the Shelby VIN on the title.

Z
+1 Shelby American was a MFG of record that is recognized by DMV's because of that fact.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
Though it should be noted that some DMVs list Ford on titles..Even while they use the SA vin...go figure...

In The Doghouse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »
Had their own MFG plates...

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »
Yes
Yes
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 05:50:02 PM »
   Wedgeman
      I saw the same text you did and was going to reply but didn't. The accepted rule is that the original SAI sales invoice is key In the case of the Super Snake and the two documented drag units , their respective invoices indicate 427 power "as it left' SAI to the initial buyer.  Many cars were modified after taking ownership by the new owner or in some cases either by SAI or one of it's "associates" to exact SAI specs ( in a few cases) but  the "after" keeps it from being 'factory equipped". SAI charged for everything they could. Same case for the supercharged  cars.  There was no free lunch.

My 2 cents worth on the subject.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »
sa manufactured them except for 1 67 nightmist 500. it was made by Renault and came with a 6 cylinder. it still around in Tacoma.phred

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 02:11:28 AM »
Randy, if that guy wants to use the assembly line as an argument, then I guess there were never any Boss 429 Mustangs. They came to Kar Kraft with 428CJ engines, driven into the facility...and the engines switched..... ::)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 11:27:41 AM »
    No not really.  While they started out as R codes, Ford ( at the KK facility) modified them to Boss 429 configuration "before" sale to the public. They were sold with the Z engine code not R. The end customer didn't "buy a CJ" and take it to KK for mods.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:35 PM »
Though it should be noted that some DMVs list Ford on titles..Even while they use the SA vin...go figure...

In my hometown the tag agent who had the Shelby MSO in her hand, still said, "....well, you bought it from the Ford dealer, so I'm calling it a Ford...."

They, the tag agents had no choice but to use the Shelby VIN numbers since all the Shelby MSO's (rightly) had only the Shelby American VIN numbers on them. 

The state DMV's were, from that point forward, just going by the documents turned in by the various local tag agents.  As long the Shelby VIN is on a title, it never bothered me whether the car was called a Ford or a Shelby, and the value was the same in either case. 

It does rub some people the wrong way to have their title say "Ford" and a few have done battle with their states DMV and won. My hat's off to them that have gone the extra mile to right a wrong.  Even so, I'm of the opinion to let sleeping dogs lay.

Z
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:56:02 PM by zray »

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 12:30:44 AM »
I know a guy in a state with annual personal proper tax who prefers to have Ford on the title. Seems the taxes are lower on an old Ford than on a Shelby.

Steve

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 05:30:20 AM »
Exactly- Ford’s are cheaper (Tax wise)

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »
CS held that mfg license up until 1998 when he moved SAI to NV / he kept the license all those decades  8)

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
In October of 2017 I purchased a GT350 from NY where it was registered for 40 years (no title) as a Ford. I submitted the VIN to the Florida DMV and requested that it be titled as a Shelby. The clerk tapped for a while on her keyboard and apparently did a search on the Ford portion of the VIN and told me that I could title it as a Shelby, which I did.  :)
Unfortunately, Florida abbreviates the manufacturer's name and officially it is now a "Shely"  :(
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt