News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 GT500 428 PI Identifiers

Started by 8T03S1425, September 15, 2019, 04:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8T03S1425

This posting is part a request for information and part a request for help in sourcing date code correct parts.

My car was completed on 02/14/1968, so it is that date that'll be used for the context of information and parts.

I removed and disassembled the engine back in the mid to late '70s with the hopes of rebuilding it because it lacked power and smoked horribly. Beyond that, I did not document anything about the engine identifiers. I stored the useable components and bought a 428CJ.

The PI block was cracked in several places, in the lifter galley, and subsequently scrapped. There is no hope or possibility of getting it back. I'm primarily looking for a suitable block and maybe a connecting rod and maybe an exhaust manifold.

Block
What engineering code should I look for; C6ME, C7ME, or C8ME?
What scratch should I look for; A or C?
What date code ranges should I consider? I was thinking that 7L(late), 7M, or 8A(early) might be considered okay? I think an early 7L and a late 8A wouldn't work.
Did the PI block have 2 or 3 web mains and are 3 web mains found only on the C scratch block?
Will "428" be found cast into a water passage covered by one of the core plugs?
Based on the heads (see below), I figure I could use either 7M or 8A(early). Would a 7L be too early for my car?

Crank Shaft
Was the 1U crank the only crank used in a '68 GT500?

Heads
The heads that came off my car's engine are:
     C8AE-H 8A22
     C8AE-H 7M26
The 7M26 head has a stamping that I believe may be related to my car's VIN. The car's VIN is 8T03S169334-01425. Here is the stamping.

Unfortunately, the stamping is less than ideal, but I read it as 8T1(?)9334.

Connecting Rods
The rods that were in the engine were:
     (1) C6AE-C
     (7) C7AE-B
Were both the C6AE-C and C7AE-B rods used in the 428 PI in 1968? Do I need to find another C7AE-B, or can I reuse the C6AE-C? Are they interchangeable?

Exhaust Manifolds
The exhaust manifolds that were on my car were:
     C7OE-A 7M29
     C8OE-A 7M16 + a spacer
The C8OE-A is cracked, so it'll need to be repaired or replaced.

Crank Shaft Windage Tray
Did the 428 PI come with a crank shaft windage tray?
What benefit does it provide?

Lifter Galley Windage Tray
Did the 428 PI come with a lifter galley windage tray?
What benefit does it provide? I presume it minimized oil splash on to the aluminum intake manifold.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

TLea

C7ME
C scratch
8A block I'd be ok till about 26th
C7 rods but with large rod bolts
No windage tray yes valley panel
I believe those are your original heads of

8T03S1425

Thank you Tim.
The search begins.
Steve

68blk500c

If you have that cracked block, there are all of your answers.

69mach351w

Quote from: 68blk500c on September 16, 2019, 10:52:45 AM
If you have that cracked block, there are all of your answers.
In his 4th paragragh, He mentioned that the block had been scrapped and no hope or possibility of getting it back ???  ::)

8T03S1425

Yes, at the time, welding cast iron was not as successful as it may be today.
I gave it to a buddy who was making a junk run. He took it to a scrap metal place.
If I knew then, what I know today, I'd have held on to the block and had it re-evaluated for welded repairs.

Steve

8T03S1425

I'm still looking for a date appropriate 428 PI block. In the mean while, I'm rebuilding and resourcing related components.

I recently bought a 1U crank that my engine builder said can be polished, rather than ground.

He also rebuilt the heads (pictured a few replies above) to 428 PI specs. Before I put the crank and heads in plastic bags and on the shelf, I want to coat them for what may be a lengthy storage. I'll paint the exterior surfaces of the heads. Once the exterior surfaces are painted, I'd like to coat the machined and bare cast and machined surfaces of the crank and heads with something that will prevent rust and minor oxidation.

I thought of using a spray oil or lubricant, WD-40, or Boshield. Is there a flaw in what I want to do or the fluids I'm thinking about using to prevent rust?

Steve

pbf777

Quote from: 8T03S1425 on December 09, 2019, 01:35:25 PM
......................................... the fluids I'm thinking about using to prevent rust?
Steve

Try LPS 2, or if for many years LPS 3, but requires more effort in application (both are aerosols), and bag.      :)

Scott.

8T03S1425

Thank you Scott.
I'll look into the LPS products.
I presume you've used both LPS 2 & LPS 3. What is it about LPS 3 that makes it require more effort to apply?
Are they easily removed?
Are there reasons to remove either product when the engine is assembled? I'll be spraying it on the valve springs and hope if it needs to be removed, it can be washed off without having to disassemble the heads.

Steve

pbf777

The LPS 3 product is heavier/thicker containing more of a waxing agent, therefore better shields the metal surfaces from exposure and oxidation, but because of this it doesn't "wick" as efficiently before thickening so one must be more deliberate in it application.

Most any general petroleum solvent will return them to solvency so as to wash way.

As far as concerns for the remaining material left within the engine, if reasonable, I wouldn't be concerned, it will dilute into the far greater sum of engine oil, it being also a classified as a lubricant (versus say WD40 which is truly not good at), although I would deem as a "light" lubricant (wax doesn't count here), and far less detrimental than the fuel pollution entering the crankcase; and if the engine has been allowed to sit for a duration, then I would be changing the first sum of oil after the first "break-in"/"start-up" period anyway.

The true challenge is what does one put on the block cylinder walls for an engine being stored for a long duration?  Unfortunately, these cast iron surfaces seem the most susceptible to oxidation, and here preservative coatings may interfere in the piston-ring-cylinder wall sealing function.  So if one chooses to utilize something other than engine oil here, it may be prudent to remove it, and apply upon the bores an appropriate lubricant prior to running.      :)

Scott.

Royce Peterson

There is no such thing as a PI or a CJ block. The "C" scratch marking on the rear bulkhead replaced the "A" scratch in the fall of 1967, about September. There may be a period of overlap where some 428 engines used either one. The new "C" scratch casting has the reinforced main bearing support webbing. It was used in any / every / all 428 engines from fall of 1967 onwards, including GT500 Shelbys, cop cars, Cobra Jet 428's, and even the 428-4V in granny's station wagon.

For your car I agree the date range out to be 4 - 6 weeks prior to the car being built ideally. The VIN stamp is commonly found on cylinder heads, as you know, so it should be relatively easy to find a correct C scratch block since they were used in so many cars.

Quote from: 8T03S1425 on September 15, 2019, 04:38:44 PM
This posting is part a request for information and part a request for help in sourcing date code correct parts.

My car was completed on 02/14/1968, so it is that date that'll be used for the context of information and parts.

I removed and disassembled the engine back in the mid to late '70s with the hopes of rebuilding it because it lacked power and smoked horribly. Beyond that, I did not document anything about the engine identifiers. I stored the useable components and bought a 428CJ.

The PI block was cracked in several places, in the lifter galley, and subsequently scrapped. There is no hope or possibility of getting it back. I'm primarily looking for a suitable block and maybe a connecting rod and maybe an exhaust manifold.

Block
What engineering code should I look for; C6ME, C7ME, or C8ME?
What scratch should I look for; A or C?
What date code ranges should I consider? I was thinking that 7L(late), 7M, or 8A(early) might be considered okay? I think an early 7L and a late 8A wouldn't work.
Did the PI block have 2 or 3 web mains and are 3 web mains found only on the C scratch block?
Will "428" be found cast into a water passage covered by one of the core plugs?
Based on the heads (see below), I figure I could use either 7M or 8A(early). Would a 7L be too early for my car?

Crank Shaft
Was the 1U crank the only crank used in a '68 GT500?

Heads
The heads that came off my car's engine are:
     C8AE-H 8A22
     C8AE-H 7M26
The 7M26 head has a stamping that I believe may be related to my car's VIN. The car's VIN is 8T03S169334-01425. Here is the stamping.

Unfortunately, the stamping is less than ideal, but I read it as 8T1(?)9334.

Connecting Rods
The rods that were in the engine were:
     (1) C6AE-C
     (7) C7AE-B
Were both the C6AE-C and C7AE-B rods used in the 428 PI in 1968? Do I need to find another C7AE-B, or can I reuse the C6AE-C? Are they interchangeable?

Exhaust Manifolds
The exhaust manifolds that were on my car were:
     C7OE-A 7M29
     C8OE-A 7M16 + a spacer
The C8OE-A is cracked, so it'll need to be repaired or replaced.

Crank Shaft Windage Tray
Did the 428 PI come with a crank shaft windage tray?
What benefit does it provide?

Lifter Galley Windage Tray
Did the 428 PI come with a lifter galley windage tray?
What benefit does it provide? I presume it minimized oil splash on to the aluminum intake manifold.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Steve
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

TXShelbyman

Hey Steve

Do you have the intake manifold? If you do check the back of the manifold and see if you have a partial VIN stamping there.
When things go bad just hit the throttle, may not solve the situation but does end the suspense.

Formally watts428

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: TLea on September 15, 2019, 09:17:18 PM
C7ME
C scratch
8A block I'd be ok till about 26th
C7 rods but with large rod bolts
No windage tray yes valley panel
I believe those are your original heads of
Hey Tim, I thought the A scratch was for a 68 GT500 and the C scratch was was for a KR? 

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

QuickSilverShelby

Hey 8T03S1425,

My car is #1394, born on Feb 21st, 1968. Were almost brothers...... or cousins.......... or something like that ;D.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

427heaven

I might have a lone c7 correct connecting rod for you... ;)