Author Topic: Arbitrator  (Read 7866 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Arbitrator
« on: September 16, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »
Sitting today as a Cook County arbitrator. I get to hear auto accident cases, contract cases and so on. I do this about five times a year as do many attorneys in Chicagoland. We sit in panels of three attorneys. I never know who I will be sitting with. Well today I am sitting next to a guy who appears in his 70s. I naturally broached the subject of the new Ford versus Ferrari movie and mentioned the name Carroll Shelby. He had no idea who Shelby was or the Cobra. Whaaaaaa? I sort of took offense to that. It disturbed me and still is as I wait for my 10:30 case to be called. The greatest automotive legend of our time not known by this attorney? What, yah live under a rock? That told me just now how unique and special we are as automotive enthusiasts, gearheads and the like. Maybe it's always been that way. We are an elite in a very manly area of interest.

Best,

Richard E.
I'll keep y'all posted if he says anything stranger than that last bit. Doesn't know Shelby. Huh.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arbitrator
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
I talk to people all the time in my line of work that are around my age, 50+, that haven't a clue who CS was.  They know the name Shelby as they only see Shelby cars of today.
But when you ask them who Shelby is/was, what his first name is, they're clueless. 

I think it takes people that come from a Family of mechanical background (as my Dad was a self employed Mechanic back in early 70's- early 21 century) or a racing background (as my Dad was also a local racer as I was a racer in the Winston Racing Series in my youth-30's). Or just a car guy with friends in HS that shared the same passion. JMO  8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
probably a lawrence welk or liberace type of guy...
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
Well that was my impression. He knows the law but doesn't know cars. Better to be more than a one trick pony in this life.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 01:25:29 PM »
probably also a taliban infidel...

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »
Sitting today as a Cook County arbitrator. I get to hear auto accident cases, contract cases and so on. I do this about five times a year as do many attorneys in Chicagoland. We sit in panels of three attorneys. I never know who I will be sitting with. Well today I am sitting next to a guy who appears in his 70s. I naturally broached the subject of the new Ford versus Ferrari movie and mentioned the name Carroll Shelby. He had no idea who Shelby was or the Cobra. Whaaaaaa? I sort of took offense to that. It disturbed me and still is as I wait for my 10:30 case to be called. The greatest automotive legend of our time not known by this attorney? What, yah live under a rock? That told me just now how unique and special we are as automotive enthusiasts, gearheads and the like. Maybe it's always been that way. We are an elite in a very manly area of interest.

Best,

Richard E.
I'll keep y'all posted if he says anything stranger than that last bit. Doesn't know Shelby. Huh.

There ARE people who never heard of Mickey Mantle, Roy Rogers. Winston Churchill, lazonia, etc. You guys are Attorneys and I'm sure that you could start naming Supreme Court justices that I've never heard of that were instrumental in changing our society?

There was a guy that came up to me at a car show where I had my 68 GT350. He wanted to show his GF the car in detail and wanted to know if it was ok. I said sure.

In listening to the conversation, she said "so, it's a Camaro?" He came back later and appologized without her. I said. "it's ok. I'm not insulted. Just don't marry her."

Then there was this older Jewish guy that I knew that worked in the furniture upholstery business all his life in NYC. He was going to write a book and blow up all of the secrets in the industry? A block buster for sure.

I think that this new film will bring some light to the situation? Gone in 60 seconds sure did. A lot of people still think of a car as just an appliance like a washing machine. Many have never heard of Henry Ford. Shocking, I know. Who teaches the kids? ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 02:38:20 PM »
lazonia? Never heard of him. Or it. Or them. Wasn't that the recommended oil for Model T's? Damn it Doug how do you know so much? NYC public schools?

Best,

Richard E.

There ARE people who never heard of Mickey Mantle, Roy Rogers. Winston Churchill, lazonia, etc. You guys are Attorneys and I'm sure that you could start naming Supreme Court justices that I've never heard of that were instrumental in changing our society?

There was a guy that came up to me at a car show where I had my 68 GT350. He wanted to show his GF the car in detail and wanted to know if it was ok. I said sure.

In listening to the conversation, she said "so, it's a Camaro?" He came back later and appologized without her. I said. "it's ok. I'm not insulted. Just don't marry her."

Then there was this older Jewish guy that I knew that worked in the furniture upholstery business all his life in NYC. He was going to write a book and blow up all of the secrets in the industry? A block buster for sure.

I think that this new film will bring some light to the situation? Gone in 60 seconds sure did. A lot of people still think of a car as just an appliance like a washing machine. Many have never heard of Henry Ford. Shocking, I know. Who teaches the kids? ;D
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »
I think I overreacted. But still. Not everybody shares the same interests. And no, I'd be hard pressed to name all the Supremes. Not so interesting for me.
Lol to "don't marry her!"

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »
It always stuns me how few millenials know those bands called the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.  Makes me want to slam my walker against the wall.  Kids!  8)

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
Over the years I have had a few Shelby's in my auto repair shop and a fair amount of My customers don't have a clue what a Shelby is. "What's a Shelby?" I just tell them it's a Mustang and then they understand ( some what) and are happy.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
Dunning Kruger effect. We assume because we have superior knowledge that everyone else does. Conversely those who do not have superior knowledge think in fact they have superior knowledge over everybody else.  I always assume somebody knows something that I do not. I listen and evaluate. If I have doubts I research several sources to confirm before I act. It kills spontaneity but gives certainty as the trade-off.

Stillakid54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 05:35:48 PM »
My other major focus is restored vintage ambulances. Just as with SAAC the Professional Car Society is the reference group for these vehicles. I have six, all totally stock and period correct in their contents. When on display the number of individuals who comment "hey, ghostbusters " is limitless. This really pushes some pcs members button, but we need to be reminded, we all have different interests, and use that encounter to educate them. The majority are very interested.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
easy peasy,  diana ross, florence ballard and mary wilson

the supremes

I think I overreacted. But still. Not everybody shares the same interests. And no, I'd be hard pressed to name all the Supremes. Not so interesting for me.
Lol to "don't marry her!"

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 05:46:46 PM »
Dunning Kruger effect. We assume because we have superior knowledge that everyone else does. Conversely those who do not have superior knowledge think in fact they have superior knowledge over everybody else.  I always assume somebody knows something that I do not. I listen and evaluate. If I have doubts I research several sources to confirm before I act. It kills spontaneity but gives certainty as the trade-off.

+1

You hit the nail on the head Richard.

Dunning Kruger get my vote.
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 06:14:11 PM »
As additional commentary to this lawyer, I contend that he was in his heyday during the 1960s.  The 1960s was a period of time when auto racing, street racing and muscle cars/ sports cars of all kinds patrolled the streets.  You weren't anyone as a guy unless you had some modicum of interest in said subject matter (or at least was aware of it).  I further add that the number one hit, Hey Little Cobra was number one for a week, so unless this guy was exclusively into Baroque music, how could he not know about that song.  I play classical and romantic era music on the piano but you can be damned sure I know who Led Zeppelin is, Pantera, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Soundgarden, Audioslave and so on.  Was there not a minimal amount of inquiry merited to ask, "Hey, what's this hey little Cobra song all about?"  Apparently not.  I'm just a dumb Canadian having grown up in Canada, somewhat insular from U.S. culture and even I knew what a Cobra was when I started high school in 1977!  And one more thing, anyone that ever tells me "Oh that was way before my time." My response is "So were dinosaurs.  Are you going to tell me you don't know what a dinosaur is?"  That is usually met with silence.  Whatever the Supreme Court did and who they are and were is not part of the national conscious.  Shelby brought a hell of a lot more joy to people's lives (Enzo Ferrari excepted of course) than the members of the Supreme Court.  All they bring is pain and more restrictions and curtailments on what we can and cannot do.  Lawyers and judges kinda suck in a way.  Carroll Shelby should be better known in my opinion.  Living back in  the 60s in your heyday as a youth and not knowing such things is like swimming in the ocean and being totally unaware of sharks.  That's my two cents for what it's worth which, in this case, is apparently two cents.

Richard E.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:17:55 PM by deathsled »