Author Topic: Color on backside of nose piece?  (Read 2613 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Color on backside of nose piece?
« on: September 17, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
The nose of my May 67 had a one inch crack near the bumber bracket and I had it repaired. Before I put it back on I figured I'd confirm that the back side isn't painted body color and is black like the underside of the hood and trunk lid?   The black looks like maybe a satin? Thanks in advance for your help.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Color on backside of nose piece?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 09:05:32 AM »
correct the back would only have body color paint that blew-in from the openings and from around the perimeter when it was painted.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 09:29:16 AM »
The nose of my May 67 had a one inch crack near the bumber bracket and I had it repaired. Before I put it back on I figured I'd confirm that the back side isn't painted body color and is black like the underside of the hood and trunk lid?   The black looks like maybe a satin? Thanks in advance for your help.

No. The underside of the hood and decklid were never painted on 67s. They should be that strange green color of the resin that was used.

Some find that unattractive and have painted the undersides but that isn't as originally delivered new.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 10:20:37 AM »
The original nose was fully primered when repaired so the original bare green isn't an option anymore so it looks like I'm left with painting or body color or a black and going with preference.  Should have asked the question before the repair  :(

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »
The original nose was fully primered when repaired so the original bare green isn't an option anymore so it looks like I'm left with painting or body color or a black and going with preference.  Should have asked the question before the repair  :(
It isn't always a green bare fiberglass. You may want to strip a section to get down to the base and use that reference as a means to tint some paint to mimic the bare fiberglass look. That would look so much better then primer. After painting the backside with your faux fiberglass finish you would want to add overspray of body color . If using base coat clear you will have to add a lot to get significant overspray coverage like the original single stage paint looked. Getting the correct look overall is the goal . How you get there is up to your ingenuity . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 10:34:07 AM »
  Doug:  need to clarify this statement.  The metal underlined hood and decked car absolutley were painted body color.   You know, those early cars.  Otherwise, what JD said is true.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:40:47 AM by roddster »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
  Doug:  need to clarify this statement.  The metal underlined hood and decked car absolutley were painted body color.   You know, those early cars.  Otherwise, what JD said is true.

Yes, full fiberglass hoods and trunks were never painted inside. Just some overspray from painting the edges. Don't know what they did with the half-breed versions?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 11:02:51 PM »
This is very confusing.

All of the non-restored full fiberglass 67 Shelbys I've seen on Jeff's CM site have a dullish semi-gloss on the underside of the trunk and hood. I've asked this question before and was assured that in the timeline of my car this was always done.

The nose is another matter and it appears to be just bare off-green.

Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 11:20:52 PM »
.................It isn't always a green bare fiberglass. ..........................''

I wouldn't describe it as a green either but often it has a dusting that would alter any base color allot. Of course the finish of the bottom side of fiberglass hood and trunk lids is a completely different discussion. Tons of original/unrestores examples of those finishes and expectations has been pretty consistent for decades.  Now back to the nose :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 06:55:40 AM »
I'd be happy to paint mine black. I don't like the unfinished look. Looks like an unfinished kit car.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 07:18:25 AM »
My car was restored by a Shelby expert.  It may not be correct but it was painted satin black and looks good to me.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »
My car was restored by a Shelby expert.  It may not be correct but it was painted satin black and looks good to me.
Not sure what the statement about the unnamed Shelby expert was supposed to mean but this is not meant to be a shaming exercise . The point of this thread was to give information so that those that want to try and replicate the assemblyline look can do so. It is all about choices we make. Since it is your car I am in agreement that whether it is right or wrong from a originality stand point the satisfaction of the owner is primary IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of what the inside of a fiberglass 67 Shelby hood looked like, pretty much. The trunklid and inside of the nose, pretty much the same.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:25:11 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!