Author Topic: Need help with rear end gasket  (Read 1892 times)

newshelby

• View Profile
Need help with rear end gasket
« on: September 17, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »
Hi - I am the new owner of 1968 Shelby GT500 (Shelby #1684) and need help identifying the correct gasket for the rear end... Having some repair work done to it and it's leaking slightly. Thanks! The car is 4-sp with AC 428 PI.

TLea

• View Profile
Re: Need help with rear end gasket
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 04:24:28 PM »
Ford 9", only one size. Make sure carrier bolts are sealed. In addition to copper washers put a little silicone around splines

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
Isn't the original Ford gasket smaller in outside diameter than the one we get at, say, NAPA?
And the NAPA gasket is gray and rather thin, whereas the one I took off my diff last week appears original and is thicker and black in color.

I just happened to have a NAPA gasket laying around and don't want to suggest it's correct or the best option.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

newshelby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone! Very helpful. Also, the original (4-leaf) leaf springs are sagging. Nearly straight. Should I take them in to be Re-Arc'd or just buy new ones from Eaton or similar. Anyone know the correct part to buy from CJ or similar? Same with front springs. Much help appreciated!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 09:19:39 PM »
Thanks to everyone! Very helpful. Also, the original (4-leaf) leaf springs are sagging. Nearly straight. Should I take them in to be Re-Arc'd or just buy new ones from Eaton or similar. Anyone know the correct part to buy from CJ or similar? Same with front springs. Much help appreciated!
First take CJ out of your parts buying contacts would be my suggestion. Get one of the rear leaf sets that Virginia Mustang sells .They are modestly priced and look right. Of course keep your bottom plate and transfer it over. The front coils are special in your Shelby (wire size) and only replace them as a last resort.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:06:15 AM »
The factory stance on cars with Competition suspension typically looked low in the rear.  Personally, would investigate further before swapping the rears to be sure they are indeed sagging.  The new leafs will probably raise the rear higher than was stock.
At any rate if you decide to swap out the rears be sure to retain the lower leaf with part numbers to reassemble into the leaf pack.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 12:09:59 PM »
The factory stance on cars with Competition suspension typically looked low in the rear.  Personally, would investigate further before swapping the rears to be sure they are indeed sagging.  The new leafs will probably raise the rear higher than was stock.
At any rate if you decide to swap out the rears be sure to retain the lower leaf with part numbers to reassemble into the leaf pack.
Always good to verify before changing out original parts. FYI the factory stance on a typical 67 Mustang is lower in the rear then the front regardless of if competition suspension or not. A Shelby is no different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby