News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

WTB - 428 PI Block for 1968 Shelby

Started by 8T03S1425, September 17, 2019, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8T03S1425

C7ME
C scratch
Reinforced block
Date codes from 7M15 to 8A26

I may also be interested in slightly earlier date codes.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

brandosaac

I have a Std bore C7ME-A ,  C scratch with  Jan 3rd 1968 date, 8A3
will need at least a few sleeves.
If youre interested in pics and price PM me with your email

QuickSilverShelby

Since your looking for a PI block wouldn't you want an A scratch?  Wasn't the C scratch for a Cobra Jet motor?

Or am I getting that wrong?

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

68blk500c

The PI engine is the predecessor to the CJ (read came before) meaning the C scratch is not unique to CJ, nor is the reinforced main webbing.  Those "too early to be a CJ date" blocks are PI blocks.

shelbydoug

A C scratch is only a CJ block if it was built in a CJ engine. There is no way to know that since the block itself has no identification besides the casting date and the scratch. Sometimes the assembly date stamped into it will help narrow it down even more.

A PI built with a C scratch is still a PI.

Search by what is most appropriate for your application. The casting date is your closest identifier plus whatever the scratch is.

You need to think of the variations in an FE block as just an evolution in the block design itself.

427 blocks are not heavy duty blocks at all. They are just as thin in critical areas as 428 blocks are. The best of them are the striped service blocks since the cast sleeves for the bores are square with the corners rounded off giving more strength to the thrust areas.

If you want to go racing, don't waste time and money trying to find an original 427 block. Go aftermarket. You tend to get what you paid for there.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Agreed, c scratch is not exclusive a Cobra Jet.

pbf777

Quote from: 68blk500c on September 19, 2019, 10:27:33 AM
The PI engine is the predecessor to the CJ (read came before) meaning the C scratch is not unique to CJ, nor is the reinforced main webbing.  Those "too early to be a CJ date" blocks are PI blocks.

To the best of my memory, "A' scratch blocks would generally have been 428 cubic inch intended application blocks whether a "standard" option (7-Litre) engine or a P.I. engine; during the period of 1966 to say mid-year 1967 production, and apparently ceasing with the introduction of the "C" scratch blocks appearing in the mid '67 production thru the end of 428 production, with perhaps some overlap.  Seemingly most "A" blocks will only exhibit the standard "two-rib" main bulkheads, vs. the "C" blocks which seem to display the "3-rib" bulkheads; and obviously there will be exceptions, somewhere, including units of each productions with no scratch. 

So I believe as stated previously, to be correct, try to establish that a particular block is truly a 428 and has casting date codes that would be appropriate, vs. "A"s or "C"s, or?       :)

Scott.

TLea

Quote from: pbf777 on September 19, 2019, 03:44:55 PM

To the best of my memory, "A' scratch blocks would generally have been 428 cubic inch intended application blocks whether a "standard" option (7-Litre) engine or a P.I. engine; during the period of 1966 to say mid-year 1967 production, and apparently ceasing with the introduction of the "C" scratch blocks appearing in the mid '67 production thru the end of 428 production, with perhaps some overlap. 

Scott.
Don't think so. Seen A scratch blocks with 68 dates (Tbird) Earliest C scratch I've seen is 7/67

pbf777

Quote from: TLea on September 19, 2019, 07:40:52 PM
Quote from: pbf777 on September 19, 2019, 03:44:55 PM

, with perhaps some overlap. 

Scott.
Don't think so. Seen A scratch blocks with 68 dates (Tbird) Earliest C scratch I've seen is 7/67

No arguments from me!      :)

Scott.

QuickSilverShelby

Good discussion.  I'm learning allot.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

shelbydoug

I've been told that some current owners of '67 GT500's have reported that they think they have the original blocks and that they are C scratches with the correct casting dates. I can't verify that but that was the discussion.

I should point out that there is also an X scratch but I think those are of the early '70s vintage and didn't wind up in Shelbys?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Quote from: TLea on September 19, 2019, 07:40:52 PM

Don't think so. Seen A scratch blocks with 68 dates (Tbird)

I believe the FE engine was discontinued in the Thunderbird being replaced by the 385 series engine as the 429 Thunder-Jet version, engine code "N", very early in '68; perhaps early January?      ???   

Scott.