News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tilt-away steering for 68 Shelby-may need to bypass - how?

Started by newshelby, September 18, 2019, 11:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newshelby

Hi all, I've asked an expert on this (waiting to hear back) but I would love to get input from the forum too! My 1968 Gt500 has a difficult time starting because the tilt-away steering works only about half the time. When it doesn't work, pulling the plunger where the cable is connected on the steering column seems to do the trick. Two questions: 1-What are the most typical solutions to this problem (so I don't have to pay to have the whole system torn apart)? Second, because it's going into the repair shop shortly and they will need to be able to start/stop the car regularly without fussing with it, how can it be bypassed most easily? A jumper cable somewhere?

Your guide here has been most helpful! http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Tilt

Thanks in advance!

Chris Thauberger

The switch located in the vacuum diaphragm is open when the steering wheel is in the tilt position. This disables the starting of the car.

Unplug the connector in the picture below and connect the two terminals on the harness side (arrow) and this should allow you to bypass the switch in the vacuum diaphragm and start the car.

Chris

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Coralsnake

If you connect the two red wires with blue tracers that go to the black vacuum can under the dash, it will bypass the tilt.

I suggest doing it on the other side of the two way connector, then you dont have to cut anything.

There are no replacements for the solenoid or relay.

TLea

before you go bypassing anything did you adjust the cable? Where you are pulling the cable is a bracket that has a slotted hole. Loosen the hex screw and pull bracket towards column then tighten. If cable is stretched you may have to file slot a little longer if not enough adjustment.
That should help from the forum till your expert gets back to you  ;)

newshelby

Thanks! You guys are SO incredibly helpful! I will be taking these steps soon! Thanks again.

Corey Bowcutt

If you do as Chris suggests does the tilt-a-way still work it just disables the ignition cut-off or does it disable everything?

Corey

Chris Thauberger

Tilt away still works.

Use caution as the car will start with the steering wheel tilted up and to the right (tilt away)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold