News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Recommendations on Street/Track Tires

Started by kjspeed, February 19, 2018, 05:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1109RWHP

shelbydoug

I thought it was pretty much done and will die if you let it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

Quote from: zray on February 24, 2018, 11:54:55 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 24, 2018, 10:14:16 AM

"........Also, regardless of what the factory did with the Boss 302's, a rear anti-sway bars on these cars is a no-no. ......."

^^^^^^^^

I have yet to see a rear sway bar (on a 65/66) that actually helped anything.

Z

I don't know you guys (Z & shelbydoug). I must be living on the edge when I drive my car. (see pic)
I also stuck a yellow post-it with today's date.

Cheers,
~Earl J

427heaven

That's the one! If some are tired of their cars feeling like they are going to roll over in the turns as opposed to spinning out, give this a look see. :)

SFM5S000

This is what motivates the car. I just refreshed it last summer. It's my new Boss block 326 stroker...

(Still looking for the 40mm's)

~Earl J

SFM5S000

Re-directing this back to the OP request on tires. I seriously considered the Avons CR6ZZ's but went with the Goodyear VR Eagle (gatorbacks) in 225/60-VR15's (from Kelsey mounted on 15x8 Phil Schmit's 1 piece TA wheels with a 4 3/8" back spacing. Just as pricy as the Avon's though. They read Goodyear and wear like iron for running around on the streets and back roads. I have another set of wheels for the track.

Cheers,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

Quote from: SFM5S000 on February 25, 2018, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: zray on February 24, 2018, 11:54:55 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 24, 2018, 10:14:16 AM

"........Also, regardless of what the factory did with the Boss 302's, a rear anti-sway bars on these cars is a no-no. ......."

^^^^^^^^

I have yet to see a rear sway bar (on a 65/66) that actually helped anything.

Z

I don't know you guys (Z & shelbydoug). I must be living on the edge when I drive my car. (see pic)
I also stuck a yellow post-it with today's date.

Cheers,
~Earl J

I don't know? I sometimes wonder what planet I am from? Not from here obviously?

I have two rear bars hanging from the joists in the shop. 3/4 and 11/16". Poly bushings and all.

They definitely do not work on my car. It must be from Hertz, Mars? Go figure?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Quote from: SFM5S000 on February 25, 2018, 06:52:38 PM
This is what motivates the car. I just refreshed it last summer. It's my new Boss block 326 stroker...

(Still looking for the 40mm's)

~Earl J

Wow!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

zray

Quote from: SFM5S000 on February 25, 2018, 05:42:55 PM

I don't know you guys (Z & shelbydoug)......"

I know you    (we must have spent 3 hours talking on the phone re Weber carbs).

Z

CSX2259

Here we'll get the thread back on track...........this one has Webers too!

shelbydoug

Does it have a Panard bar?  ::)

Did the Blue Streaks come originally with painted on Goodyear or raised white letters? Is there one size, i.e., 1" high or 3/4"?

The blue line was always painted on?

I'm concerned though that here because the car needs an annual inspection, because the tire wall is shaved, the inspector is going to "break 'em" on me and say they are not legal on the street and are race tires?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

He said earlier that you can do most any font/script you want.

You think an inspector is going to recognize it isn't factory? I bet they are only required to check tread depth, if that.   ::)

It still sounds like factory BFG's fit your needs best.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on February 26, 2018, 10:40:46 AM
He said earlier that you can do most any font/script you want.

You think an inspector is going to recognize it isn't factory? I bet they are only required to check tread depth, if that.   ::)

It still sounds like factory BFG's fit your needs best.

Yes I have had them say "that's an illegal street tire" before. Then look and begrudgingly say ok.

If I have the face of the tire shaved, and all manufacturers required data is missing, for sure they aren't going to pull the wheel to look at the other side.

These guys are ALWAYS looking for work. Why make only $37.50 for the inspection when they can sell you a new set of tires also?

The latest thing is that the tire rating IS REQUIRED to be at the performance level of the vehicle. So even an "S" rating is 'technically' a reason to fail you.

There's all sorts of things that they can pull on you. They can measure the depth of the treads and if it is less then 50% fail them. Same with brake pads.

I don't go to the zoo and poke the lion with the stick. Some might enjoy the challenge. I don't.

I actually had a local cop, after seeing my oxygen sensor on a 90 degree adapter on one of the header collectors in my Pantera tell me in no uncertain terms, "THAT'S ILLEGAL!".

I told him "how can it be illegal if the car never came with exhaust emissions equipment AND it's there for me to monitor my A/F ratio?"

I said in addition, "this is a '73 model and those didn't even exist then yet."  He just shut up after that. He'll be back I'm sure.

I took the oxygen sensor off the car.

Incidentally, "they" do "roadside" noise tests occassionally also. There are so many motorcycles running around with no mufflers at all, most of that effort is limited to them but, "you never know" when the steel hand of the law is going to grab you by the throat?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX2259

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2018, 07:43:02 AM

Did the Blue Streaks come originally with painted on Goodyear or raised white letters? Is there one size, i.e., 1" high or 3/4"?

I'm concerned though that here because the car needs an annual inspection, because the tire wall is shaved, the inspector is going to "break 'em" on me and say they are not legal on the street and are race tires?

The lettering was a raised white letter, the letters in the photo are 3/4" tall. The blue stripe on the original tires was painted on, these are too. We can always leave the DOT information on the tire sidewall, depending on the tire manufacturer we can remove or leave whatever information you like.

No, the Cobra in the photo does not have a "panard" bar. The Cobra in the photo is a recently completed 6000 Series Continuation Cobra.

Back in the 1980s I had a 1970 Plymouth GTX with a factory installed 440+6 (3, 2 barrel carbs). I was pulled over by an officer who proceeded to try and write me a ticket for having a modified engine. I finally won my argument with the officer when I pointed out that the car was all stock and had the engine designation of "V" in the VIN tag on the vehicle. If it happens it happens, there's nothing you can do about it but ride it out.

shelbydoug

Quote from: CSX2259 on February 26, 2018, 12:58:26 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2018, 07:43:02 AM

The lettering was a raised white letter, the letters in the photo are 3/4" tall. The blue stripe on the original tires was painted on, these are too. We can always leave the DOT information on the tire sidewall, depending on the tire manufacturer we can remove or leave whatever information you like.

No, the Cobra in the photo does not have a "panard" bar. The Cobra in the photo is a recently completed 6000 Series Continuation Cobra.

Back in the 1980s I had a 1970 Plymouth GTX with a factory installed 440+6 (3, 2 barrel carbs). I was pulled over by an officer who proceeded to try and write me a ticket for having a modified engine. I finally won my argument with the officer when I pointed out that the car was all stock and had the engine designation of "V" in the VIN tag on the vehicle. If it happens it happens, there's nothing you can do about it but ride it out.

I'm not unique. It's happened to others also. No one knows for sure what will set them off? It's just best to "position" yourself as best that you can.

The Avon's are probably the direction I am going to go with?

The issue is I have three cars with slightly different requirements. I need to consider the tire sizes for each.  It would make sense to try one set first. This path has a lot of positive options. Then it is a set of priorities. Which one first.

Thanks to all who have posted.

I was kidding about the Panard bar on the Cobra. Panard bars are for live axle cars. Oh and the cop took exception to the Webers on the Pantera also.

Being the person of trying to see both sides, I invited him to stop by anytime he was in the neighborhood. I try not to lecture people. I try to show them my perspective.

Hopefully that will at least gather respect but they have the badges, not me.

IF I can get my sizes, tricked Avon's seem to be the way to go. I have little doubt of that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!