Author Topic: Recommendations on Street/Track Tires  (Read 25162 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations on Street/Track Tires
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
Sounds like Avons are the way to go. If they'll pick up loose change as well as they do on Z's car I'll have them paid for in no time!  ;D

I don't take long trips in the car because @ 11.5:1 it likes Sunoco purple race fuel and at $8.37 a gallon it's not what you'd call economical. So for the short trips I take I don't mind cleaning the road debris off the quarters. It is a driver after all.

All that's left is to decide on rims. If I stick with 15's I'm limiting tire selection. If I go to 17's there are tons of selections but not for the Avon CR6ZZ. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, on long trips I must pull over every so often and pull $15-$20 from each tire. And then due to the 4 IDA 48 Weber's,  I give the coin to the gas station attendants.

;)

Well, here's my issue with the Avon's. They are not cheap, they wear fast, they may be dried out in three years and unsafe. Other then that, I love 'em...especially if they can look like the large letter Goodyears!

There are a bunch of people who use them. Many here on this forum.

Rather then argue over these details, I'd rather see a poll of Avon user's on those details that I mention.

I have long ago realized that advocates of certain items often (but not always) have vested interests in recommending certain products. My opinion is, that has not changed.

I'd rather hear from several dozen folks who use them rather then one person who disagrees, and tells me that I am misinformed and I am misinformed because I am stupid. ;)

My only vested interest in the Avon CR6ZZ tires is wanting others to have the same positive experiences that I have enjoyed.

I installed the Avon's on a  GT350 and on a K code. On both cars the Avons were on track to last well over 20,000 miles of VERY spirited driving. The K code fastback had well over 15,000 miles on the tires with over 50% of usable tread left. With the Avons installed, cornering became very predictable and rock solid.  Excellent traction, wet or dry.

On the GT350 the Avon's were on the car for about 4 1/2 years in the central Texas heat with no signs of drying out or otherwise losing traction as they wore.  I drive that car daily, in temperatures ranging from 30 F to 110 F.  The tires on that car  lasted 23,000 miles before replacement.

I measure the cost of the tires against the money spent on other suspension upgrades which are rointinely made on cars to make them suitable for high speed touring  or part time track use.   People that think nothing about dropping $2,000 to $5,000 on suspension upgrades, inexplicably balk at $1,400 for a set Avons. I don't understand that type of economy. Quality tires are, in my view, the most important part of the suspension system, and not the place to skimp.

If one drives under 5,000 miles a year, I see no reason that a set of Avons can't easily last 5 years. Long enough to be a very attractive upgrade that will measurably improve the cars drivability.

Z

That's the kind of review I like to hear. It can't get much better then that? I would like to hear from others as well though. I had one person say they got only 3,500 miles out of a set.

Then again the best ice/snow tire review I ever read was from a guy in Miami, Fl, in August, with 100 miles on the tires.

Said they were the best snow tires he ever had and wore great.

I'm still looking for the size application chart on the Avons though. I need 235-60-15 and 295-50-15. I'll investigate more. Thanks for your input Z.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »
There is a size chart on the link I posted.

Looks like they shoot for consistently having a 26.5" height. You'll have to decide between a 225 and a 245. They have 295.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
There is a size chart on the link I posted.

Looks like they shoot for consistently having a 26.5" height. You'll have to decide between a 225 and a 245. They have 295.

Yes. I have a wheel width problem with them though.

I need an explanation of the compound characteristics with temperature. For instance, on high speed rated tires such as W and Z, I've had to basically park the car with air temps below about 35 F.

The tires become slick and the treads tend to split also.

What happens to the characteristic of the compounds if the suddenly cool off like if you are caught in rain unexpectedly? Does the chase truck pull alongside and signal a tire change to "rains"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »
 :o

If you look at every tire on a modern GT500, ZL-1 Camaro, Corvette, FGT Ferrari etc. They will have a disclaimer that the tires are not to be considered safe under 45 degrees.

It's the price of having the high performance adhesion.

You need an all-season radial to do what you ask. BFG might be the best, or only choice.

But those aren't track tires.

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »
If your polling I have Avons on CSX2122. They ride great and look period correct. Johns version looks really cool. I'd like to hear more about those as well.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
:o

If you look at every tire on a modern GT500, ZL-1 Camaro, Corvette, FGT Ferrari etc. They will have a disclaimer that the tires are not to be considered safe under 45 degrees.

It's the price of having the high performance adhesion.

You need an all-season radial to do what you ask. BFG might be the best, or only choice.

But those aren't track tires.

My reality is that it's very unlikely I would be interested in driving the car in the cold anyway. I'm just looking to get as much feedback as I can.

I already know about the adhesion issue with low temps from my Pirelli P7's. They turn into the proverbial "banana skins", interestingly enough right in that 35-45 degree area. The tire rides very hard at those temps too. Like it is concrete. A lot like the old Polyglass tires did?

BFG's are what is on the car now and they are a compromise tire BUT very predictable.  Incidentally, they don't like any kind of water either.

The question here, now, is where I want to compromise? I have to go back and read my own criticisms.

I was looking for the Avons at the last SAAC convention and didn't have much chance to investigate them in person.

I want to see where everyone is located with these things too. The Avons sound like a perfect LA tire to me? I wonder if they love 'em in Green Bay? Hey Jim?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:48:39 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 12:06:29 PM »
Sounds like Avons are the way to go. If they'll pick up loose change as well as they do on Z's car I'll have them paid for in no time!  ;D

I don't take long trips in the car because @ 11.5:1 it likes Sunoco purple race fuel and at $8.37 a gallon it's not what you'd call economical. So for the short trips I take I don't mind cleaning the road debris off the quarters. It is a driver after all.

All that's left is to decide on rims. If I stick with 15's I'm limiting tire selection. If I go to 17's there are tons of selections but not for the Avon CR6ZZ. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, on long trips I must pull over every so often and pull $15-$20 from each tire. And then due to the 4 IDA 48 Weber's,  I give the coin to the gas station attendants.

;)

I have 4 48IDA's too so the extra gas money would be great!
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
I had one person say they got only 3,500 miles out of a set...."

must have been a 1/4 mile at a time

I need an explanation of the compound characteristics with temperature. For instance, on high speed rated tires such as W and Z, I've had to basically park the car with air temps below about 35 F.

What happens to the characteristic of the compounds if the suddenly cool off like if you are caught in rain unexpectedly? Does the chase truck pull alongside and signal a tire change to "rains"?

I can't speak to the results with other W and Z compound tires, but the Avon CR6ZZ's show no issues when driving in 25 F weather in an Oklahoma winter. Nor any issues with wet traction. In fact, they are very confidence inspiring on wet roads. Cornering was practically the same as on dry roads, limited more by my driving abilities than the tire adhesion.

Z

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »
I had one person say they got only 3,500 miles out of a set...."

must have been a 1/4 mile at a time

I can't speak to the results with other W and Z compound tires, but the Avon CR6ZZ's show no issues when driving in 25 F weather in an Oklahoma winter. Nor any issues with wet traction. In fact, they are very confidence inspiring on wet roads. Cornering was practically the same as on dry roads, limited more by my driving abilities than the tire adhesion.

Z

All good things to hear from the horse's mouth.

My Pirelli p7's which are V's are terrible when cold. Not enough experience with them in the wet since that would be an unplanned happening.

Even the CN36 is a lousy all weather tire. Simply put, it isn't all weather. Really almost a dry only.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 01:54:57 PM »

I want to see where everyone is located with these things too. The Avons sound like a perfect LA tire to me? I wonder if they love 'em in Green Bay? Hey Jim?

I'm in Wisconsin-

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:59:23 PM by terlingua11 »
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »

I'm in Wisconsin-

Do you drive the car in cold weather?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
You can run Hoosier Slicks on the street.
Maybe not legally but never seen anyone pulled over for them.
Plenty of cars drive on them as long as it’s not daily.
Expensive ,....but sticky.
At the end of a few track events we just throw them in the dumpster.
Would still be “mint” for street.

Disclaimer: can’t be driven in the wet or damp.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
What I would do is have a few sets of wheels.
One set with street tires and one with slicks
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:23 PM »
I've got a set of Goodyear bias ply tires for show and street cruising but it doesn't take much to get them to break traction. I was hoping to get a second set that would be a good compromise for performance street driving and occasional track use. Although the Avons are pricey, it sounds like they will do the trick and if I get caught in a Florida rainstorm I won't be skating off the road like I might with slicks.
My next issue is now identifying the rims. A friend of mine thinks they may be aluminum rather than magnesium. I understand you can put a few drops of vinegar on them to tell - magnesium will react and aluminum won't. Does anyone have experience with this?
If they are aluminum and not magnesium, would they potentially pass tech inspection and be allowed on track at an SAAC event?
I have pics of the rims if someone can identify by sight but I'll have to resize or send separately as the files are too big.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 10:48:28 PM »
The magnesium wheels will turn black if you do not polish them regularly. The aluminum ones will just get dull. Post the pictures if you can.