Author Topic: Recommendations on Street/Track Tires  (Read 25159 times)

CSX2259

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations on Street/Track Tires
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 12:52:18 AM »
Sorry guys, I went back to my old handle "CSX2259"

Yes, we do / did the tires in the photos, they are AVON CR6ZZs, we can also do most any tire and have done BF Goodrich. The AVON tires are pricey but you can not beat the performance and visual appearance, I believe they offer the best 1960s appearance out of most of the tires available today. If you are interested in having the tires transformed into what is in the photos please give Bella a call 1-760-428-2177 she will be glad to help you. The attached photo is a recent set that were completed for a CSX6000 Series Continuation Cobra owner. Thanks to those that gave us kudos, it is always appreciated. John

P.S. The AVON CR6ZZs were developed for rally racing. They are also a radial DOT approved tire.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:16:49 AM by CSX2259 »

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »
Here are some pics of the wheels in question. Click to expand full size.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:04:18 AM by kjspeed »
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 12:54:21 PM »
Another good track tire would be the Hoosier Street TDs, we used those on a 1966 GT350 that we vintage raced. Try talking to Roger Krause he is one of two (one distributor east coast, one distributor west coast) AVON CR6ZZ distributors in North America. Roger also is a distributor for other tires and would be able to give you manufacturer recommendations and sizing for your application.

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »
Another good track tire would be the Hoosier Street TDs, we used those on a 1966 GT350 that we vintage raced. Try talking to Roger Krause he is one of two (one distributor east coast, one distributor west coast) AVON CR6ZZ distributors in North America. Roger also is a distributor for other tires and would be able to give you manufacturer recommendations and sizing for your application.

How about some close ups of the details of the GOODYEAR applique? Is it paint? Is it stick on letters? Does it need to be done after the tire is mounted to the wheel?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »

I want to see where everyone is located with these things too. The Avons sound like a perfect LA tire to me? I wonder if they love 'em in Green Bay? Hey Jim?

I'm in Wisconsin-

Do you drive the car in cold weather?

Yes I do. I was at SAAC-39 with 2122 and froze my a$$ off....remember the snow flurries the first day?
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »

I want to see where everyone is located with these things too. The Avons sound like a perfect LA tire to me? I wonder if they love 'em in Green Bay? Hey Jim?

I'm in Wisconsin-

Yes I do. I was at SAAC-39 with 2122 and froze my a$$ off....remember the snow flurries the first day?

Well, are you FROM Wisconsin? It's usually the bugs you need to worry about. They clog the radiators and you can't leave small animals or new born babies unattended. The mosquitoes have been known to try to carry them away for food.  ;)

Here's a question. I had a thought. I know. A thought of mine could die of loneliness. I get that, sure BUT for tire manufacturers, do they mix the formulas for the tire compounds themselves or say just purchase it from bulk producers and just pour it in the mold of the tires they are making?

Avon can't be anything near what we might call a large manufacturer?

I know that Pirelli actually schedules certain tire sizes to be made at certain times of the year. Those 50 series p7's that they first introduced for the Lamborghini Countaches are really hard to get because they only make a few a year.

The same for companies like Hoosier. Do they make their own rubber compounds or just maybe buy it from someone like Goodyear?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:06:17 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 03:07:26 PM »
Yes, Born and raised here. Very familiar with the environmental challenges we have here-  8)
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »

How about some close ups of the details of the GOODYEAR applique? Is it paint? Is it stick on letters? Does it need to be done after the tire is mounted to the wheel?

The sidewall of the tires gets shaved removing any unwanted, designs, lettering etc. Then the sidewall is striped with paint as per the original Goodyear Bluestreaks and finally the raised white lettering is applied. We have done this procedure to tires that were on the rims and tires that were off of the rims, it does not matter. Usually the tires are bought new and drop shipped to us we then modify them and ship them out. The tires in the this photo have probably 2000 plus miles on them. They have not been cleaned.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:29:58 PM by CSX2259 »

Cobra Pack

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »
I have had Avons on my Kirkham 289 for 6 years.  I drive about 1200-1500 miles a year and they still look relatively new (no cracks or visible aging).  I am ready to replace them this year just because they are a bit harder than new.  I plan on having John and Bella do the lettering on my new set of Avons.  I do take my car to Road America a couple of times a year so they see track use, and I do drive them in cold WI temps.  I just drove the car last weekend when it was 25 degrees after reinstalling my differential.

Dkutz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 05:56:34 PM »
Anyone put these on a 289 street car??  Or would they not be appropriate..

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 06:05:55 PM »
Depending on if the Cobra was a early "worm and sector" or "rack and pinion" you would want either the 205s (5.5" wheel) or the 215s (6.0" wheel)

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »
John,

Those look super cool! Get job-  They look even better not cleaned.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 08:20:25 PM »

I'm in Wisconsin-

I’ll never forget that chill
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »
Here are some pics of the wheels in question. Click to expand full size.

They look aluminum to me. Not dark enough to be magnesium.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
I'm in the market for a new set of street/track shoes for my 68 GT350 w/Boss 351. I plan on mounting them to my American Racing 200s 15" vintage magnesium 7" rims and I'm looking for recommendations on which tire to use. I have a set of Goodyear bias ply for show, so these are more for go. I am replacing BF Goodrich Comp T/A 235/60ZR15. It appears they no longer make that tire in 15".

I'm seeing Cooper Cobra white letter tires with T (118MPH) rating for $109 or less each which is either a good deal or cheap tires. I don't know which.

These will be mostly used on the street, but hopefully turn a few laps at future SAAC events. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Kevin

If this was the car John Barnes owned, if you are unsure, why don't you ask him if the 200s wheels are magnesium or not. He'd know for sure.

I like the GOODYEAR applique to the tires. Problem is I'm in New York. Not to cut into anyone's action on this but I need to consider finding someone locally rather then ship three sets of tires from corner to corner.

Is there anyone closer to me that can do this that maybe I can drive to?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:37:26 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!