Author Topic: Recommendations on Street/Track Tires  (Read 25164 times)

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
Hi all—

I have been following this thread closely because I’m in the same position: looking for non bias tires.

I mentioned I was looking for sticky tires for my gt350. He said—“I went through that with my Viper. The problem was that they were so sticky they picked up and threw little pebbles and road debris on the underside of the car and on the back of the fenders. He ran the Hoozer (if spelling wrong sorry) tires.

Has anyone had a problem with that with ( especially) the Avons but with the  tires too?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations on Street/Track Tires
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
I'd expect the Hoosiers to have a very similar tread compound as the Avons.

Even the original Goodyear Polyglass tires were sandblasting the bottoms of the fenders and those things were as hard as concrete.

The 427 Cobra guys always and still do have a problem with the front of the rear fender. I think it is more the tread size and contact patch then it is the compound of the tread itself?

I wouldn't select a tire based upon that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
As ShelbyDoug notes, there might be other rfactors at play besides the tires compound.  That said, I never had any issues with the rear quarters getting sandblasted with the Avon's or the Pirelli P-4's they replaced.

But if you start getting wider than 215's or 225's then the results may differ.

Z

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2018, 12:48:43 AM »
Thank you very much for your replies about whether or not the super stickie compounds would or wouldn’t throw too much road foter up under the fender wells of my gt350.

M

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2018, 08:49:01 AM »

I don't know you guys (Z & shelbydoug)......"

I know you    (we must have spent 3 hours talking on the phone re Weber carbs).

Z

Hello Z, yes we did talk Webers. I'm still running them obviously. I did the initial breaking on this new short block using a Holley 4v. Anyway, I think it was shortly after you sold your red 66 GT350 several years ago. We also spoke again when you were getting your lower crossmember with the jack pad project off the ground.

Cheers,
~Earl J

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2018, 09:08:40 AM »
"........Hello Z, yes we did talk Webers. I'm still running them obviously. I did the initial breaking on this new short block using a Holley 4v. Anyway, I think it was shortly after you sold your red 66 GT350 several years ago. We also spoke again when you were getting your lower crossmember with the jack pad project off the ground.

Cheers,
~Earl J

that's right ! that was 3 1/2 years ago. your memory is as good as ever.

....  and BTW, I owe you a special thanks.  I took your sound advice and made the jack pads 1/4" thick right from the beginning.

Z.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »

In regards to the thrown up debris on roads/track use, I've used the XPEL Tracwrap product to protect lower fender areas. The wrap is a temporary product that is easily applied and removed and is invisible once applied. I have the XPEL clear bra product on several cars from the same company, it's a quality product.

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »

In regards to the thrown up debris on roads/track use, I've used the XPEL Tracwrap product to protect lower fender areas. The wrap is a temporary product that is easily applied and removed and is invisible once applied. I have the XPEL clear bra product on several cars from the same company, it's a quality product.

The Cobras are known for stone stars in the tops of the fenders also. In the 70's some were gluing shields inside the fenders.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2018, 07:49:30 PM »

The Cobras are known for stone stars in the tops of the fenders also. In the 70's some were gluing shields inside the fenders.
The people that don't want the paint stars still do ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »

The people that don't want the paint stars still do ;) .

But that's a deduction.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!