News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Koni rebuild

Started by kram350, September 18, 2019, 10:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kram350

Thought some may be interested in what's inside a Koni. Shown is a 4-65 dated SP-1 82-1326 front shock, a different shock than the later SP-3 82-1388 unit. The valving in both are basically the same, but the threaded gland nut top is a totally different setup making the internal seals and piston rod/cylinder sightly longer in the 1388.  Shocks dated 11-64 SP-1's have an even different internal configuration and valving from those dated 3-65.  Many production changes over months which seem to minimize machining requirements, number of needed parts and simplified assembly. This unit was toast with a rusted/seized rod, totally clogged valve orifices, drain-back channels and locked up in the firm position. Parts in these shocks are quality and robust.  With clean-up, new seals and rod this should be really to go.     

CharlesTurner

Thanks for posting.

Do you know anyone that can re-bush the top mount part of an original shock to look correct?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

6s1640

Hi Kram350,

Very nice.  Thank you for sharing.  There are sure a lot of pieces.  Can you ID in the image what parts need replacing with a rebuild and do you have a source for those parts?

Thank you

Cory

chris NOS

yes , i would be interested too for upper bushing . :)

kram350

I had the seals/gaskets custom made. Second row left to right piece # 2,5,6,7,10. The upper bushings are of urethane which I machine. The shafts are alloy case hardened steel,  center drilled, threaded, have four .030" and two 1/8" drillings all of which are extremely difficult to drill, especially thru the case hardening.  The real headache is disassembly and cleaning the small orifices. You will need some robust tooling to get them apart.