News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

392 Challenger outruns cops

Started by deathsled, September 21, 2019, 10:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Yeah yeah I know. This is a Shelby site but we're all gearheads here. Appreciate the video for what it is.
https://youtu.be/D1ODExfQQ0c
This is not to condone speeding even 1 mph over the limit. I report. You decide.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

What do think the odds are that they got him later?

In a lot of circumstances, the law enforcement won't give up, and when they eventually catch you, you will be receiving one hell of a beating by 2 or 3 LEO's.

Then you will probably lose your car.

deathsled

If they got a plate he's done. Maybe. There is much chicanery that goes on in court once lawyers are involved. But that doesn't stop the pre-court beating...
As an addendum how will the State prove who drove the car? Just because you own a car does not create a rebuttable presumption you drove it on that occasion. Or does it? The State always carries the burden of proof going forward with the evidence. Despite the more recent advent of the court of public opinion, we still have a presumption of innocence.

roddster

I heard this long ago: "You can't outrun Motorola."

Side-Oilers

That's what happens when the Department decides to save on gas money and buys the cop package with the smallest engine. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Some of the states have edicts that they shall not pursue over 85mph due to public safety concerns. Certainly at some speed it's wise to radio ahead for a road block.

Recently some have used electronic engine disablers. I don't know how successfully but the equipment was there at one time.

I'm familiar with those kinds of country roads and I personally would want to know the road well before attempting something like that. Many if not most will not permit that kind of high speed due to pavement conditions.

I do remember breaking rather severely on one back in New Jersey when a herd of dairy cows was crossing from one meadow to another. That was the first time I wondered about the wisdom of brake scoops on the car. All that manure took some doing to clean out of them.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

ah yes !  the modern duke boys riding the new general lee or as we affectionately call them FUDGIEs ( please google carvel cakes )
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Jim Herrud

It wasn't the General Lee, but I had a '69 Charger. One day back in the summer of 1977, I was racing a buddy on the Interstate between two close, small towns in Wyoming when I spotted a Highway Patrolman pop the rise in the oncoming lane. His cruiser nose-dived when he nailed his brakes. He was heading downhill toward a ravine and apparently realized he wouldn't get stopped in time to turn around, so he gunned it to get across the bridge before coming after us.

My buddy backed out, but for some stupid reason, I just kept my foot in it. My friend said the Patrolman came after us and passed my friend at what he said was probably 90 MPH (in 1977, the 55 MPH limit was everywhere). I was well in excess of 100 and never saw the guy behind me.

In a few minutes, I was home and safe for the time being, but these Wyoming towns are small and we all know each other. I was kicking myself for being so stupid, and figured it was only a matter of time before I got a knock on door. I worried for weeks that they would figure out who I was, especially since I was driving the Charger with boy-racer stripes - not too many of those around.

The anxiety that month was far worse than any fine or jail time I might have faced. Never again.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

deathsled

That was a great story! Thank you for sharing!

Scott Fuller

I have two 392 Challengers and they really aren't all that fast, especially compared to the Hellcat and the Demon.  But I guess it was fast enough that day.

Scott

deathsled

Ground pounders. I really like the 392, Hellcat and Demon  Challengers.

papa scoops

I know for a fact that you can outrun Motorola. been there, done that! (yes in a Shelby, 69 500 convert) phred

Rocket

I remember probably going faster than that on dirt roads around home, when I was way younger than I am now. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Hard to outrun a Motorola AND a helicopter......Unless you go subterranean of course

deathsled

Rural.  Understaffed police departments. Smaller engines.  And no budget for a helicopter.  I can see how this one slipped through the net.  However, I have considered the possibility that the 392 Hemi guy and the cop were good friends growing up together in the area and decided to stage the whole thing for views on youtube and then divide the money garnered from all the hits.  That idea is a stretch as I doubt that any officer would conspire to concoct such a risky venture with the chance that a non participating civilian could die during the event.  The Challenger driver was hauling ass.  And he's a pretty damned good driver to boot!  But you never know.  People from every walk of life do crazy things like conspire to do a stunt with the risk it could go horribly wrong.  I am still leaning toward it's real and unstaged.