Author Topic: KR steering column rebuild  (Read 2252 times)

waltweems

• View Profile
KR steering column rebuild
« on: September 22, 2019, 05:47:52 AM »
Anyone know of a source for rebuilding the steering column?  Can I remove it without removing the engine?

Thanks.

Walt Weems

67350#1242

• View Profile
Re: KR steering column rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 07:55:30 AM »
Try West Coast Classic Cougar for rebuild.   Removal shouldn't be too difficult, especially with the short shaft box and rag joint.  It will come out from inside the cabin.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:42:50 AM »
What exactly are you hoping to accomplish?

waltweems

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:51:42 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I have owned the KR for 25 yrs and the steering wheel has vibrated for years.  I thought it was wheel balance but new tires and balancing along with drive shaft balancing and steering box rebuild has not helped so I thought it may be in the steering column.

Walt Weems

Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:08:40 PM »
Your problem is not within the steering column. What you feel is the RESULT of some other issue. Find a good tire shop that really wants to help. Most just want to do a fast balance and not spend the time to get to root cause. Balance is not the only cause of vibration. Wheel and/or tire runout need to be considered. Some bigger shops can check “road force” balance and are most likely to have the people and equipment.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »
The column is really just a steel rod from the gear box to the steering wheel. Taking apart a tilt column is like trying to do a rubric's cube in the dark. There are people that can do it, but as mentioned above, I am not sure that it is going to help.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »
Your problem is not within the steering column. What you feel is the RESULT of some other issue. Find a good tire shop that really wants to help. Most just want to do a fast balance and not spend the time to get to root cause. Balance is not the only cause of vibration. Wheel and/or tire runout need to be considered. Some bigger shops can check “road force” balance and are most likely to have the people and equipment.
+1 . If you swapped out the set of tires and wheels temporarily you could rule out the tires and wheels. Maybe from another 15 inch Ford car as some of us have more then one or borrow a set from a friend etc. This may not be possible for some but if it is then it could help eliminate or confirm a problem area. Just a suggestion. I hope it helps.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

waltweems

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »
I have swapped tires and wheels from a 67 GT500 that had no vibration.  I notice the vibration mostly when the road is bumpy or uneven.  I do not feel vibration on the interstate unless there is a bump or pothole.

Walt Weems

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »
I have swapped tires and wheels from a 67 GT500 that had no vibration.  I notice the vibration mostly when the road is bumpy or uneven.  I do not feel vibration on the interstate unless there is a bump or pothole.

Walt Weems
If you still have have vibration after swapping wheels and tires I would be checking idler arm ,ball joints,tie rod ends before  considering the steering column . FYI the idler arm is the weakest link in the steering setup. The steering box could be the culprit and if you have never had your steering box rebuilt it definitely needs it regardless of if it is the culprit or not. At the very least the grease after 50+ years is the consistency of cold play doh and typically will need bearings replaced at this point in its life. Jim C does steering box rebuilds.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby