News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Opening lines to The Dragon's Toll

Started by deathsled, September 22, 2019, 01:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

The Dragon's Toll

It is said that legends have a certain nugget of truth buried within them, a truth that becomes obscure through both time and the lens of the story teller.  But the flavor of such truth remains unchanged, always there, always present, a truth wrapped up in the pastry of life that makes such legends so delectable to the human soul.  Sometimes that truth reveals its flavorful center in the most pleasant of ways and at other times strikes the palate with a creamy nougat of poison to remind us that the world is a dangerous place.  This story is about one such legend and the truth behind it, the truth behind the toll collector at mile marker 3.0 on U.S. 129. 

Not a single light was to be seen. Not a one, but rather two.  Two bright and distinct solid beams, stretching outward and beyond, two lonely beacons down the snaky dark road.  They sprayed cool light, but gave warm comfort, illuminating the ever present solid double yellow line that separated this dangerous two lane blacktop.  Driving the mountain by night was mysterious, a magical place.  Colin amused himself with random thoughts while hitting his brake and throttle and brake yet again along the 318 turns of this winding road, a road that expanded for 11 rollercoaster miles.  Locals called it the Tail of the Dragon, a blood stained patch of pavement, an asphalt reptile that invited challengers from all over creation to test their driving skills against the tar beast.  Colin thought about the asphalt beneath him for a moment while he turned the steering wheel right and left in an elaborate dance with the pavement.  He thought about roads and their definitions.  Most people called a road just that, a road, and in fact, that was what people drove upon.  But what was the difference between a road and an avenue?  Or a boulevard versus a street?  And lanes were something entirely different altogether.  What was the difference, he mused.  Road, avenue, street or lane, it all looked the same.  The materials used in the construction were the same.  Austere and black, seamless and endless, it led you to where you wanted to go.  Only the chosen chariot by which you arrived remained your decision.  He pressed the throttle a little more and the red needle reacted clockwise within its bezel.  Harley was tossed to and fro in the passenger seat, the diminutive Yorkshire terrier confused at the sudden lateral forces that stressed his little frame.  Colin's eyes tracked the winding blacktop and his mind continued with random thoughts free and clear of any physical demands made by the act of driving, his hands gripping the wheel, seemingly detached and subconsciously obeying the turns without so much as a concern about his disengaged mind.  The road accommodated all, welcoming new and old, living or mechanical, stretching outward in silence, bearing witness to a great many things, a seasoned oracle that never divulged the pleasantries and horrors of what was and what will be unless asked.  Some questions in this life were better left unasked so you could sleep at night because you might not appreciate the answers.  Asphalt linked streets to roads and roads to highways.  That's all that mattered.  The hypnotic flash of the passing yellow line made Colin's mind question his knowledge on the subject, a subject that he'd researched a while ago with animated inquisitiveness.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

Some added paragraphs to the opening of my book.  Doing basic cleanup of formatting before sending off to the printer. 

The engine crackled with the resonance of solid lifters and the side exiting exhaust gave constant reports to the driver about the overall health of the 289 cubic inch engine.  Colin inhaled the intermittent and ever so faint odor of high test gasoline with its sickly sweet aromatic scent.  It smelled of velocity.  The time was late and Colin knew this stretch of two lane road wasn't the safest.  But he'd driven the Dragon many times before.  Now, at the witching hour, no cars approached and none followed.  Just him, his dog and several miles of empty pavement.  Colin had heard many stories about this roadway and more especially the Tollkeeper, a crazed man that stopped cars to collect the toll, slaughtering those drivers and passengers unwilling to pay, taking away their cars, contents and bodies never more to see daylight or walk the earth again.  Many disappearances occurred over the decades and that was fact, yet the Dragon always stayed open as a necessary means of joining two distant towns.  Many legends existed, many legends of various types, concoctions of sleepless minds propagated over the years, legends that at this hour, Colin was better served to forget.  He forged on, checking his speed, traversing this abrupt black paint stroke that smeared the green wilderness.  He glanced at his Heuer Monaco watch. 1:29 a.m.  He was making good time.  He'd soon be home, backing his prized car into the garage, safe to drive another day.  Harley looked to Colin and let out a sharp bark.
"What the hell, Harley!"

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Dizzy

We had been actively searching for property in Tenn and around the Dragon's Tail ,129 area.....after a few days of research most advice I got was to avoid 129 as it becomes VERY busy from spring through fall. Many sirens responding to motorcycle crashes by out-of-towners thinking they are really good riders. No trophies given,or even white crosses...very nice area AWAY from 129. I stayed here,in Indiana and never regretted it. 

CSX 4133

I live within a short drive of the Dragon, there are certain days to avoid, namely weekends and holidays. Plus there are many interesting roads in the area of E. TN. that are extremely car friendly. I can recommend the Cherohala Skyway instead of the Dragon, less traffic and lots of great roadway with scenic overlooks.

deathsled...... Sounds like your story is off to a great start, the intro grabs your attention really well.

deathsled

Thank you Steven.  The book is finished.  I literally sent it over to the printer in Michigan tonight for 100 copies.  All paid up.  Will see what this book can do.  I am sending down around 10 copies to the Tail of the Dragon gift store.  The other 90 who knows.  I will look into gas stations, auto repair facilities and will create a website to take orders.  I believe there are one or two of you on SAAC that have expressed interest in a copy.

I drove the Cherohala Skyway.  I am ga ga over that road as well as the Dragon.  Cherohala is a fairly new road and the pavement is extremely smooth. 

Here is my drive up the Cherohala in the Shelby GTH I rented from Atlanta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gY-JFkzQ18&list=UUn0QLRboGczBB3VED9KzRRg&index=20

Top of the Cherohala.  Where is everybody??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-mrM6fOIU&list=UUn0QLRboGczBB3VED9KzRRg&index=19

Here is my drive down the Cherohala in the Shelby GTH that weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQNI87PVY_o&list=UUn0QLRboGczBB3VED9KzRRg&index=21

I will be back there.  I want to take my dad and my son.

deathsled

Twelve copies went down to the Dragon store in Deals Gap. If anyone wishes to order from me directly it is $14.95 inclusive of shipping.  You may send a check to Richard Elsliger 224 North Hale Avenue Bartlett, Illinois 60103 and I will get a book out to you.  Website will be on the way. And a new novel I finished called Diablo Run.

FL SAAC

Doctor,
the check will be in the mail this weekend
Thank you

Quote from: deathsled on October 04, 2019, 11:12:18 AM
Twelve copies went down to the Dragon store in Deals Gap. If anyone wishes to order from me directly it is $14.95 inclusive of shipping.  You may send a check to Richard Elsliger 224 North Hale Avenue Bartlett, Illinois 60103 and I will get a book out to you.  Website will be on the way. And a new novel I finished called Diablo Run.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert