News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Carroll Shelby

Started by FL SAAC, September 23, 2019, 01:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

how tall was carroll shelby ?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

In one of his interviews he said he had a spurt of growth to nearly six feet when he was 17 or so. I recall him as taller than me and I'm 5'11"
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Side-Oilers

I'm 6'1, and he always seemed close to my height in the '80s. A bit shorter later on, but most everyone loses height as they age.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

1967 eight barrel

He was 6'1". I used to sit around in the Gardena, Ca tire Goodyear tire warehouse and talk with him and Lil' Joe.  I am 6'0" and he was slightly taller than I was.
Probably one of the most direct and opinionated individuals I've ever met.  You never had to second guess what he was thinking.

-Keith

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on September 23, 2019, 02:47:55 PM
He was 6'1". I used to sit around in the Gardena, Ca tire Goodyear tire warehouse and talk with him and Lil' Joe.  I am 6'0" and he was slightly taller than I was.
Probably one of the most direct and opinionated individuals I've ever met.  You never had to second guess what he was thinking.

-Keith

That's for sure on direct and opinionated. A conversation with him was never boring.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on September 23, 2019, 02:47:55 PM

-Keith
That is so damned cool!!!

rkm

Does anyone have any "Shelbyisms?" Like when he was trying to sue the replica companies and told us, "I just sold my chilli company and now I have enough money to take on any sonofabitch I want to".

Or, " I didn't know whether to shit or go blind".

But he sure could make stuff happen.

Side-Oilers

Many Most of CS's more colorful sayings can't be repeated on this forum.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

SFM66H

Quote from: rkm on September 23, 2019, 09:39:45 PM
Does anyone have any "Shelbyisms?" Like when he was trying to sue the replica companies and told us, "I just sold my chilli company and now I have enough money to take on any sonofabitch I want to".

Or, " I didn't know whether to shit or go blind".

But he sure could make stuff happen.

I have one - one that I'll NEVER forget...

In this photo on July 4, 1986 at SAAC 11 in Dearborn, Shelby was leaning on the core support of my car (6S1615) and said (and I quote):

"Hell son, they weren't this good new."

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

98SVT - was 06GT

CS was 6'1" Little Joe (Firestone's race tire guy in SoCal) was about 5'6". Both fun guys with lots of stories. When CS was doing the run of "found" Cobras Kopec sent me to photo all the new parts he had made. We took a Dodge Mini Van from his office to McClusky's. Forget his heart I was the one having a heart attack on that ride. Especially when he made a U turn across 4 lanes of traffic to stop at a Chinese place for lunch. No signal no warning - just that looks like a good place.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

^^^^^
Great story. Must have been nice to know the man on that level that, hey we're going to stop at a Chinese restaurant for lunch. Violently turns in...
My dad got some great one on one video of Carroll at Road America in 1997 or 98 when Carroll was sitting in one of his new 427 Cobras. My dad beat out the media and got to him first and asked a few questions. I have the video on a DVD. Not sure how to copy and transfer so I can post. Any suggestions on how and then I will. I have a laptop. I'll Google it.

Don Johnston

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 27, 2019, 10:08:58 AM
CS was 6'1" Little Joe (Firestone's race tire guy in SoCal) was about 5'6". Both fun guys with lots of stories. When CS was doing the run of "found" Cobras Kopec sent me to photo all the new parts he had made. We took a Dodge Mini Van from his office to McClusky's. Forget his heart I was the one having a heart attack on that ride. Especially when he made a U turn across 4 lanes of traffic to stop at a Chinese place for lunch. No signal no warning - just that looks like a good place.

Little Joe was the Goodyear race tire guy in Gardena.  Shelby was a regional Goodyear distributor. 8)

Side-Oilers

One of the best CS comments that he ever told me about was after his heart transplant. 

When the doctor informed Carroll that he'd received a heart from a young African-American Marine, Carroll asked "Did you give me his dork too?"
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: Don Johnston on September 27, 2019, 01:37:31 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 27, 2019, 10:08:58 AM

Little Joe was the Goodyear race tire guy in Gardena.  Shelby was a regional Goodyear distributor. 8)
Bingo, Don.  I heard Shelby call Little Joe "short shit" quite a few times.  Shelby was never warm and fuzzy but I have to admit the lack of a filter made it hilarious sometimes and he didn't care who you were. He was really the same around everyone.
I wish I'd been around more. I did see and talk to Little Joe all the time. I worked for Chrysler Corporation for a stint waiting to go to the CHP academy post exiting military service.  Don-A-Vee Jeep Eagle was running SCORE races and Chrysler was sponsoring with parts and financial support.
Hence the reason for dealing with Little Joe and Carrol Shelby in Gardena. 
                                                                                                 -Keith

Side-Oilers

Keith, when was it that you were working with Don-A-Vee? They were a sponsor of the IMSA Firestone Firehawk racing team I was with...Paul Rossi Racing (Eagle Talons and Dodge Stealths)...a Chrysler-factory-sponsored multi-champion team.   We ran Pikes Peak too. I competed there in 1990.

My involvement with Rossi was 1989-94 era.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model