Author Topic: Time.  (Read 2177 times)

1967 eight barrel

Time.
« on: September 26, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »
So often we take time for granted.  We put off seeing people, spending quality time with them or just picking up the phone and calling to ask how they are.
I know most of you are much older than I, so perhaps you've already been through the loss of parents.

I have had good men die next to me, in my arms and I have always made time to honor them in my way. Those wounds heal with time.
Knowing you're going to lose both parents and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it but comfort them and wait is true misery.
Both always pillars of their community. Always selfless in their endeavor.

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer in June. It was over-looked by the family physician.  It has masticated into his colon, stomach, kidneys, liver and pancreas.

My mother fell in July and just never seemed the same post the fall mentally.  Never easy growing up with a mother that is a Psychologist. You don't get away with anything.....
On the assumption that she was dealing with a concussion they ordered an MRI of her brain.   It turns out that she has brain cancer and it's inoperable.

I know this may make some happy here but my presence will be scarce. 

I am not asking for pity. Just make sure those you care about are not taken for granted. Time is one thing we can't can't control.  It is promised to no one.
                                                                                            -Keith

“The clock of life is wound but once, And no man has the power. To tell just when the hands will stop. At late or early hour."

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:35:14 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Time.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »
Very sorry to hear about all that, Keith.

My parents passed within three months of each other.  Not a lot of warning, either. 

Hang in there and do all you can to comfort and be there, and tell them all the things you love and appreciate about them. Especially if you haven't done that enough in your life. 

Hope to see you back on here whenever you can.
Van

Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that Keith. I went through a bad situation in June of this year losing my best friend to gastric cancer in the space of three weeks. Spend as much time with them as you can.

Richard E
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 03:42:38 PM »
Time also impacts life perspective.

When I was in my early 30s I never asked my father what Fords he owned from 1947 to 1955, which was the first one I remember. Didn't occur to me and besides there was always time.

In the same interval, I also never sent him my old issues of Early Ford V8 Times. He wasn't big on tech, but he would have enjoyed the pictures and ads. Now that I'm older and wiser (sorta) I can see those missed moments with crystal clarity.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 04:49:15 PM »
Hi Keith,

I feel for you.   I am not sure which is better, knowing the time is coming or the surprise.  Both my parents went quick and no warning.  My father was too early at 69, 27 years go.  He made it to the hospital, but was too far gone and passed.  I got the call after he had passed.   My mother was 90 and passed two years ago.  She fell on a Tuesday and passed during surgery from complications with a hip replacement on Thursday.  I was planning to travel to her on Friday to help her convalesce.   I had not even thought she would die in surgery.   My father-in-law is a different story.  He has been dyeing for the last 12 years.   Every trip to the hospital was it, siblings would fly in to see their dad, say good by and he would recover.  How many times do you run to the hospital to say good by?  It is no fun waiting for a parent to pass.  See them as often as you can and talk about the old days.  Bring pictures to help their memory.

Best of luck

Cory

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 04:59:13 PM »
Keith
My wife was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma 1 year ago and has transitioned from someone who walked 5 miles before sun was up to now struggling to walk the 50 feet to and from the bathroom without struggling for air. Had never heard of Myeloma until she went to doctor complaining of a lower back ache. Now, she takes three chemo drugs weekly and if it is put into remission (never completely goes away) she will be on maintenance chemo for rest of her life. Its "treatable" but not curable so her clock is running. Time is a gift from GOD and cannot be taken back once used.  Have always been one able to fix most anything. This is something that can't be fixed by me and it hurts so bad to be forced to sit by and not be able to fix it...
Keith, I wish you peace and strength.
Martin
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 05:23:16 PM »
In all honesty I am just trying to maintain an even strain. I decided to document family history as to be assured it's added to the records. I wrote down family recipes, relatives, phone numbers and contact information I am lacking.
My father is a veteran as well, so I have worked to make arrangements in their entirety to make it as easy as I being I have no siblings.
I fly for a living so I am gone 3-4 days a week.  I am just trying to incorporate quality time with what needs to be in place.
Thank you all for the kind words.
                                                                                      -Keith

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 06:13:32 PM »
Sorry to hear that Keith. My thoughts are with you mate
6S373
6S1276

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 07:17:43 PM »
“The clock of life is wound but once, And no man has the power. To tell just when the hands will stop. At late or early hour."
So true Keith so true, may God be with us all.
My Sympathies,
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 07:50:29 PM »
Keith, sorry to hear . Stay strong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 08:32:19 PM »
Sorry to hear this... losing a family member is tough for sure. My Dad left when I was 26..... have missed him for 42 years.
Stay strong for them

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 08:44:19 PM »
I spend as much time as I can with my Mom/Dad.  Life is uncertain to say the least and nobody is getting any younger.....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 09:46:15 PM »
My wife and I have no living parents and miss them daily and like mentioned before, time heals.

I know you will be there for them because that's what we do as children of aging parents.

Keep on being Strong my Friend :)

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »
Sorry for your loss, I am sure they were great people, as well as you also! I will miss your posts as I am like you...Take your time and collect all you can, all the honorable memories! You are so right, the hands on the clock can stop at any time!
RARE  Signature Delete

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
Sorry for your loss, I am sure they were great people, as well as you also! I will miss your posts as I am like you...Take your time and collect all you can, all the honorable memories! You are so right, the hands on the clock can stop at any time!
Keith's Parents haven't passed, they have been sick the past several weeks!