News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Why Car Museums are Closing

Started by deathsled, September 27, 2019, 08:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Agree, he has some valid arguments.

He is just incredibly obnoxious. His Southern Hillbilly accent every time he mimics a "boomer" car guy being an example.

He also doesn't offer any real solutions. At least nothing that does not require his holy highness to institute.

Side-Oilers

Randy, why 13 years? Do you know something the rest of us don't...?   ???
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

+ 1  the clock is ticking...13 years...

Quote from: gt350hr on November 13, 2019, 11:19:07 AM
I would like to hear some of your opinions on his pompus allegations instead of just saying he's a looney.

Why are collectors divesting now ? ( more so than in the past)
       Why are automotive museums closing?
       Why would a millenial want an old antique car when he ( or she) is fixated on their phone or tablet while their parents drive them around?
       Why ( if they had the money) would they spend $200K on and old car when $100K gets you 700+hp , A/C , P/S , P/B, 25MPG , a warranty and financing?

I agree this guy is a whack but some of the concerns are valid ( to me anyway).  There is no guarantee our cars will be in high demand and short supply to those not around "in the day" like many of us were. "My" plan is to hang onto mine for 13 more years and sell then. It would be nice to know the bottom isn't going to fall out because of lack of demand in the future. How many current 20-50 year olds want a stock Model T? They used to bring good money ( respectively) too.
     Randy
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

67 GT350

« Last Edit: Today at 12:15:46 PM by Side-Oilers »

I think 13 years are when AOC said the world will end....her and Gretta.
RARE  Signature Delete

Side-Oilers

Ha...!    I think she said 12.  But I'm selling everything in 11, just to play it safe.   Live out the last remaining months car-less and homeless.

Hey wait, I'd rather live them out speeding, doing massive burnouts and eating whatever I want. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

SFM6S087

I would like to hear some of your opinions on his pompus allegations instead of just saying he's a looney.

Why would a millenial want an old antique car when he ( or she) is fixated on their phone or tablet while their parents drive them around?
       Why ( if they had the money) would they spend $200K on and old car when $100K gets you 700+hp , A/C , P/S , P/B, 25MPG , a warranty and financing?

I agree this guy is a whack but some of the concerns are valid ( to me anyway).  There is no guarantee our cars will be in high demand and short supply to those not around "in the day" like many of us were. "My" plan is to hang onto mine for 13 more years and sell then. It would be nice to know the bottom isn't going to fall out because of lack of demand in the future. How many current 20-50 year olds want a stock Model T? They used to bring good money ( respectively) too.
     Randy

+1

I think he makes some good points which are hard to accept because of his speaking style. Constantly telling your target audience how smart you are and how stupid they are is not a winning strategy. Especially when that audience has the money you want for your project. I think I know why he' not getting the financial backing that he obviously wants. Some training in persuasive speaking would do this guy a lot of good.

In spite of his abrasive style though, he is right on several points. To mention just one - The number of young people who appreciate our cars is dwindling. And giving rides and sharing the driver's seat is probably a better way to win hearts and minds than static displays.

Steve

BGlover67

Randy

I kinda hope young folks don't want these cars in the future, maybe then in 13 years I'll be able to afford Randy's car.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

Ha! Truly, if prices suddenly plummeted, I'd buy more cars!! 😜
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Also, I always find it intriguing while people compare 60s muscle cars to Model Ts / As. To me, it's a bit of apples and oranges, as I can still take my car out on the regular roads / highways; which is tough in a Model T / A, IMHO.
Nothing beats a classic!

Dkutz

couldn't watch it all.  But yeah I see the point I guess.  I would much rather see them on the road than in the museum but the next issue is, is there anyone left to drive them.  I think the whole classic car hobby is going to decline in the next 10 years, because the younger folks don't car.  ESPECIALLY brass era cars.

Greg

Randy

Randy,

I guess I see things a little different than most but I will offer my 2 cents. 

Collectors are divesting because some of them see it's time for them.  That is not unreasonable as people do change over time.  For some, the thrill of the hunt is what keeps them in the game and unless you keep that passion stoked, you get bored.  Prices seem to be holding pretty strong for good cars and it will continue to do so.  A wise man once told me, good cars don't have to be sold, they sell themselves and I have found that to be true.  That being said, there has to be a demand and the Shelby provenance carries a tremendous amount of weight and desire.

Automotive museums are closing because people have moved on to the internet, youtube etc.... where you can see them all.  Before cars such as a Cobra, GT350, GT500 or a 71 Hemi Cuda was at your finger click, you only saw them at a museum if you were fortunate.  Now you can seem in 4K and in great detail.

Not every millennial is fixated on their phone and tablet, look at the street racing TV show's and the restoration shows.  There are more of them on TV and online than ever before because demand is strong.  I believe however, that each of us does have a responsibility to show our cars to young people and when at a car show let them sit in your baby instead of "DO NOT TOUCH".  You remember what it was like to see the cobra symbol in the steering wheel or the tach on the dash.  One day, some of them will have the cash to buy them and will. 

Why will they buy them, because they are rare and worth something.  Even though you can buy a technically better car, you can't buy the provenance or the investment value.  The reason Model T, A and B's dropped in value is because there are still a lot of them, remember Ford built something like 4 Million of them by 1930.  Compare that to probably 3-400 65's, a few thousand 66's, 67-70's etc... that are left.

I don't buy into the gloom and doom because I don't see it.  I attend most of the major shows and there are more late model mustangs there than 60's, why, because that is what they can afford and they have a desire to show them.  So we as early Shelby and mustang owners have a couple of choices, be active in the Shelby community and promote the cars by attending events or sale the car to someone that will.  Don't take the option of just letting it set there under the cover because it might get dirty, or it's to nice to drive or your afraid it will get hit.  I implore everyone, drive your cars every chance you get, show them to the world.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

gt350hr

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 13, 2019, 12:05:57 PM

I don't know that I want to drag race past 80 years of age. Maybe that attitude will change in time. That would be 58 years of ownership and continuous drag racing at that point. Heck California might be all electric by then LOL.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

69 GT350 Vert

I've owned 2 classic Shelbys.  A '68 fastback from 1991 - 2012, and my current '69 convertible since 2009.  What I have noticed is that in the 1990s, I received a lot more enthusiastic responses while driving the car, and at the car cruises/shows.  As the 2000s passed, the number of enthusiastic responses has dwindled.  I believe fewer and fewer people know what my 69 Shelby convertible is.  They stare at it, and give me a thumbs up, with a puzzled look on their face.  They like the car, and it makes an impression, but have no clue it is a classic Shelby.  I have also overheard several people, of all generations and ages, speak at car cruises and say to each other "what kind of car is that?". 

My point is that in the 1990s just about any car enthusiast knew exactly what my '68 GT500KR was, and responded accordingly.  Nowadays, I think 50% of the people that give me the thumbs up fo my 69 Shelby convertible, don't know what the make of my car is.  They say "nice car", not nice Shelby. 

67 GT350

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on November 13, 2019, 01:46:27 PM

That time is now. They are cheap. Unless you thinking you want it to be President Carter days again and buy them for 3500 to 5000?
RARE  Signature Delete

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 13, 2019, 06:41:53 PM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on November 13, 2019, 01:46:27 PM

That time is now. They are cheap. Unless you thinking you want it to be President Carter days again and buy them for 3500 to 5000?

I have to be honest: it seems like you mention something to the effect of "The market is down!" every chance you get. What do you consider cheap? And, please show me these inexpensive Shelbys, because I would love to buy another. 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!