Author Topic: Lousy Chicago weather  (Read 4911 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Lousy Chicago weather
« on: September 28, 2019, 09:08:50 PM »
Barely drove my big red at all this summer. Seems like it rained every weekend. The best I could do this evening was take a short run followed by a photo op. I can derive satisfaction just watching her and her new friend, the Laguna. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:10:26 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lousy Chicago weather
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 09:26:41 PM »
Illinois sucks.  I cannot wait until the day I get out of here.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 09:36:49 PM »
Meteorologically, politically, economically...the list goes on for Illinois negatives.  I still dream of California but from everything I hear, it's nothing like I imagine.  Which makes me sad.  I maybe think of California as it was in the golden age of hot rodding in the 1960s.  Which, of course, is no longer the case.  Tisk tisk.  There is no ideal spot I suppose.  I could imagine living down in Tennessee in the locality of the Dragon's Tail.  I really liked it down there.  Just washed the Laguna.  I'm going to have a hard time letting that Boss 302 LS go, contrary to my dad's instructions.  We shall see.  I get psychologically connected to cars.  It's weird.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:40:14 PM by deathsled »

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 10:14:01 PM »
+1 - but I will put up and pay up

JG
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 08:28:53 AM »
Captain's log. Earth date 9-29-19. Plan to take red Hertz on driving assignment early Sunday morning ahead of traffic. Mission aborted once again by soaking wet conditions. Must check on the Shelby ship. Make sure she hasn't floated away.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:33:13 AM by deathsled »

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
Living in Illinois is tough.  Both my wife and I are from the area originally, and most recently we lived there for 5 years until we made a work move to San Antonio.  I LOVE Chicago...and, at the same time, it's a place for which I wouldn't want to live again.  It was so tough to enjoy a classic in the city.  And, getting out to some good roads (other than Lakeshore Drive; which WAS fun!), meant many, many stop lights.

And, the weather (as previously noted) is extremely tough.  Each spring, my wife used to come to me in a panic, "We only have 12 weekends to enjoy the summer!"  True.
Nothing beats a classic!

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »
There are 3 seasons:

1) Winter
2) The 4th of July
3) Construction

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »
Meteorologically, politically, economically...the list goes on for Illinois negatives.  I still dream of California but from everything I hear, it's nothing like I imagine.  Which makes me sad.  I maybe think of California as it was in the golden age of hot rodding in the 1960s.  Which, of course, is no longer the case.  Tisk tisk.  There is no ideal spot I suppose.  I could imagine living down in Tennessee in the locality of the Dragon's Tail.  I really liked it down there.  Just washed the Laguna.  I'm going to have a hard time letting that Boss 302 LS go, contrary to my dad's instructions.  We shall see.  I get psychologically connected to cars.  It's weird.
Only about 45 minutes from my house ;D

Been super dry here for the past 6 weeks and no relief in the form of rain for another 10 days or so.  Been driving the Mach 1 on occasion ;)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »
Only about 45 minutes from my house ;D

I am enamoured with the Tail of the Dragon.  A fantastic little slice of the U.S.A. among many others.  The U.S.A. one of the world's biggest race tracks.  (This is not an endorsement of street racing or driving fast.  Please obey all local rules while motoring and never ever exceed the speed limit even by so much as 1 mph.)  Yeah, right.

Been super dry here for the past 6 weeks and no relief in the form of rain for another 10 days or so.  Been driving the Mach 1 on occasion ;)

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
ONCE UPON A TIME.....actually about 4 years ago I did a Sunday morning cruise in early January in the R model down Lake Shore Drive. Not a cloud in the Guardsman Blue sky, above freezing, glass Flat Lake Michigan. Pulled into North Avenue Beach parking and took a shot of the car against Lake Michigan.....now if I could just find it (do I miss the old site)...but I will never forget the drive, the thumbs up and the small crowd and a group of Chicago's finest watching the Lake thaw at the beach, and the echoes of that incredible exhaust. No heat, no sound deaden-er, carpet, or side windows......yeeeeehaw, just the warmth of the exhaust system under my butt.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 12:38:25 PM »

I understand your frustration.  As a native Californian, and currently a resident of the Central Coast, I know the joy of being able to drive either of my cars virtually any time of year.  There are many cool places to drive almost any day. Up the coast through Santa Barbara all the way to Gaviota.  Over Highway 154 to the Santa Ynez valley.  Or Highway 192 from Carpinteria to Goleta.  You can even waive to Oprah along the way if you so desire.

Politics and the cost of living aside, I do not know of a place I would rather live.  Both sets of grandparents emigrated from Southern Greece in the early 1900's, building a life in California ten times better than they had in Greece.  That is a foundation and legacy I am currently not willing to give up.  In my almost 70 years of living, 55 of it really paying attention to politics, the pendulum has swung back and forth many times.  My hope is one day soon it will swing back towards the center.

As for the car culture, I just attended one of the biggest car events yesterday.  It is call Cruisin' for a Cure where some 3500 cars of all types gathered.  The age group ranged from infants to old dudes like me.  With many of participants and onlookers being young boys and girls very interested in the classic cars, hot rods, customs, and pickup trucks on display.  Not to mention the numerous Cars and Coffee events every weekend in So Cal.  So, I would say the car culture is very alive and well in California.

Sorry for the ramble.  Just my thoughts.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
Ramble at will.  I enjoy reading all of these comments.  Makes me dream a little.  Madulook, well said.  It's not all that bad here in Illinois overall.  Route 66 roads outside of Chicago are arrow straight and decently paved.  Affordable housing in Illinois is a plus too.  I couldn't afford to live in my own home town Toronto.  Average house price there is $1 million.  What the hell??

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 03:51:56 PM »
Lived in Illinois for a few years, weather the same as Michigan. Late September meet fizzled out because of the threat of rain. If you keep moving, you don't really get wet. '08 may be faster than the '68, but the top goes up quicker on the KR when you need it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:53:41 PM by jguyer »
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 04:02:22 PM »
Good looking 08.

Stillakid54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 05:30:32 PM »
Calgary Alberta this morning. One of the largest (High River) car events was to be today. Would have had to ski if I wanted to attend.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992