Author Topic: Removing emergency brake handle with pin 66 Mustang  (Read 1621 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Removing emergency brake handle with pin 66 Mustang
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:56:01 AM »
Hi all,

Please tell me the trick to getting off the emergency brake handle.  The pin is exposed on one side, but the other is covered by the handle.  Is the strategy to drill the handle to expose the pin and then hammer out?  I expect bracing the handle assembly will also help when knocking out the pin.

Thanks

Cory

1967 eight barrel

Re: Removing emergency brake handle with pin 66 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 02:15:59 AM »
Cory:
You have to break the plastic off or split it with a dremel on the pin side. Once you do that you'll be able to get the pin with channel locks.

-Keith

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 04:15:47 AM »
use a flat headed punch and push the pin through to inside of the hollow handle shaft, pull handle off

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
use a flat headed punch and push the pin through to inside of the hollow handle shaft, pull handle off

+1
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »

+ 2
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 12:33:29 AM »

Hi Pmustang,

Does that mean the pin is not bottom out and short, thus it can be pushed into the hollow brake handle shaft.  Nice.

Thank you all

Cory

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 01:12:40 AM »
Cory:
It's a taper pin with a spline. I could not get mine out with a punch. There is also no hole on the other side in my '67.  It was froze.  I just split the plastic and removed the pin. I hope your handle comes off easier.
P.S. Be careful about some reproduction handles.  I had one break off and it pinched my my finger enough to split my hand.

-Keith

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 12:11:41 PM »
And some handles the pin is on the wrong side!! Incorrectly made

Yes in my cases the pin shot into the hollow of the handle.

Cheers. Peter