Author Topic: To wash or not to wash  (Read 4975 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: To wash or not to wash
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 04:48:24 PM »
oh the irony....I mean the ironing of the t shirt...lmao
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »
I find this thread interesting.

Here we are discussing the delicacy of a t-shirt, if it should be washed and putting it in a glass case on display instead of just wearing it as it was meant to be.

If this was a car we were discussing something like " they were meant to be driven" would be the rally cry.

Good point.

Like cars - things are made/built to make someone a profit, a pay check, provide jobs and in some cases shareholders a dividend. Often they don't care what you do with the product

Each buyer/owner gets the choice (depending on laws and regulations by your government  ::) as to how they will use things.

Since we've opened the "door" Kind of surprised someone hasn't offered - "It's only original once"  so I will  ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 05:10:33 PM »

bla bla bla

Good point.

Like cars - things are made/built to make someone a profit, a pay check, provide jobs and in some cases shareholders a dividend. Often they don't care what you do with the product

Each buyer/owner gets the choice (depending on laws and regulations by your government  ::) as to how they will use things.

Since we've opened the "door" Kind of surprised someone hasn't offered - "It's only original once"  so I will  ;)

+ 1

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 05:19:42 PM »
Actually it does seem a tad absurd. I would say though that it is a fragile piece of memorabilia with not many of them left in existence. It is an artifact so to speak for display purposes. When it wears out it gets thrown out. When a car part wears out it gets replaced to keep driving. I've worn replicas of this shirt and will get another replica again. There comes a time when collectibles get hung up and displayed. I believe this original shirt falls into that category. I mean you could use a 1000 year old Viking axe to chop wood if it was well preserved. But why would you? Or a knife from the Mayan culture to cut out someone's heart. Better to just use a steak knife. Or let the family courts do it for you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:26:17 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »
I personally now a guy that has a room full of university of miami memorabilia...he even took his seat (savage) from the old stadium at the very last game ever played there.

rumors have it that the seat is behind glass...fancy that

Actually it does seem a tad absurd. I would say though that it is a fragile piece of memorabilia with not many of them left in existence. It is an artifact so to speak for display purposes. When it wears out it gets thrown out. When a car part wears out it gets replaced to keep driving. I've worn replicas of this shirt and will get another replica again. There comes a time when collectibles get hung up and displayed. I believe this original shirt falls into that category. I mean you could use a 1000 year old Viking axe to chop wood if it was well preserved. But why would you? Or a knife from the Mayan culture to cut out someone's heart. Better to just use a steak knife. Or let the family courts do it for you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:10:33 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 07:05:57 PM »
I've heard of that guy that owns the actual ax that George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. Of course, the ax head has been replaced twice and the handle three times. But it's still original!
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
I'd love to wear my T-shirts, however I'm 6'3" and wear an XL. When you find a rare shirt that's 50+ years old you can't be picky about the size. Not one of my shirts would fit, however the "Big Shirt" would as it was like a 2XL with extra length straight from the factory. Might look a bit strange wearing it though, as that was not how it was intended to be worn.

As we all know also, shirts for back then are much smaller. A mens Large is certainly no the same size as it is today.

I hear ya on wearing the shirt, however you can't repaint, restore or replace a sleeve on a shirt like you can a car-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
They are only original once...Throw MORE dirt on it and call it a “barn find”(for fun AND profit!!!) :o

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 07:48:18 PM »
They are only original once...Throw MORE dirt on it and call it a “barn find”(for fun AND profit!!!) :o

nothing like a little starch and patina...

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 09:23:15 PM »
Starch and patina. Lol!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 11:57:58 AM »
to have (clothes sure) closure ;

so what in heavens name did you decide to do with your fine couture item ?

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 03:46:44 PM »
Clothes sure. Lol! Did not wash! I did try it on for fitment. A large back then is like a medium today...

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 04:51:46 PM »
display pressed  against the glass of a shadow box, with a mirrored surface on the back enclosure 2-3 inches behind?
Tom Kubler
6S296

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »
display pressed  against the glass of a shadow box, with a mirrored surface on the back enclosure 2-3 inches behind?

I like the idea.  I am searching options but your suggestion sounds appealing.  Thank you.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
great idea on the mirror backing but ;

1) its proximity will not allow you to clearly see the opposite side of the shirt

2) over a period of time most mirrored glass develop spots or black areas

personally would stick with glass on both sides with the emphasises of having a reversible edge for a dual front rear display

our three cents worth...

I like the idea.  I am searching options but your suggestion sounds appealing.  Thank you.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy