Author Topic: Has anyone converted their A/C to 134A  (Read 2650 times)

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Has anyone converted their A/C to 134A
« on: October 01, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
Has anyone converted their A/C to r134a? I was wondering how it cools? I have a factory A/C car. It currently has a York compressor that gone bad. With the price of R12 and it’s getting hard to find in my area I m thinking of converting to R134.  Also I would like to know if anyone has installed a Sanden compressor? Do you like? How does it work?  My car is a driver and having A/C again would be great.  Thank you in advance

Dan

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone converted their A/C to 134A
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
I have done the 134 in two cars. My 68 GT350 and my Pantera.

The Shelby is using the stock York compressor and the Pantera a Sanden.

The difference in the refrigerant is really in output temperature. The R12 typically would produce a/c outlet temps in the 32 to 34 degree range and the 134 I can only get down to about 37. It isn't a huge difference unless I suppose you are going to attempt to use it in Phoenix or Vegas in the summer?

The Sanden is a little quieter then the York but the most noise is from the clutch locking and unlocking.

As fas as changing oil, don't. Just charge the system up with the 134. It doesn't seem to have any significant difference to the compressors at all.

In your Shelby I'd keep the original compressor. The difference in look is very significant and the engine compartment is very much part of the character of the look of the car.

The Yorks are simple to rebuild. No BFD at all.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »
keep in mind that you only need 80%  of r134 to  charge system  /if you charge it the same amount as r 12 it will raise  the evap temp   .  I too  have done the conversion  and same issue with output temp  not as cold as R12
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Bigblock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »
http://refrigerantsinc.com/fr12.html

Keeps my Mustang frigid.

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
Thanks for the information everyone.  My car came with a Tecumseh compressor originally. A Previous owner installed the York compressor. I don’t have a Tecumseh compressor to rebuild. I’ve heard the piston type A/C compressors don’t like too much eng rpm that’s why Ford installed 3.00 rearend gears in cars with A/C in 1969. That is the reason I was inquiring about the Sanden compressor.

427gt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
the sanden comp. works better , and draws less horsepower. the real important thing to replace is the condenser. the 134a condenser is a multi pass tube type and will lower the temp. inside to what an r12 system would do.
67 gt 500 #1947 the drag unit. 70 gt 500 second owner.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 06:50:38 PM »
+1
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 09:19:10 PM »
During a R-134 retrofit we used to replaced black rubber o-ring by green silicone o-ring which they are compatible with.
Keep in mind R-134 molecule is smaller than R-12 and leak easier.

Patrick
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:06:11 PM by Shelbypat »

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 09:54:17 AM »
  Other than the seals, which I had heard had to be replaced, do you not do anything with the compressor valves?

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »
  After two ill fated attempts with a York to 134 conversion , I switched to a Sanded and it was the best thing I ever did. Quiet . cold , and trouble free for 5 years now. I used  the adapter "cradle" , a new drier, a couple of new fittings and the green o rings. Charged it with a ACPro kit and life is cold now.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.