News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Anyone see the 1970 Shelby GT500 Restoration on the Show Fantomworks?

Started by billmunny, October 01, 2019, 02:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmunny

https://fantomworks.com/project/1970-shelby-gt500/

I saw the beginning of the show but missed the end where they state how much the restoration cost; anyone catch the price tag?

98SVT - was 06GT

Didn't see it but if Fantomworks did the restoration it's score about 50% of concours.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

billmunny

"Didn't see it but if Fantomworks did the restoration it's score about 50% of concours."

;D

Coralsnake

Its been discussed on the forum. I dont want to generalize, but most shops that cater to multi-makes (Chevy/Ford/Foriegn/GM) are not very sucessful capturing the details of specialty cars like a Shelby.

The shop made the statement the engine bay was ready for any show. But, without some major items like a thermactor system, the car could not be competitive.

They also made an issue about the side stripes, in my opinion, they still fell short capturing the factory appearance.

gt350hr

The differential was painted black just like the housing. Far from concours.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

billmunny

Coralsnake

Im pretty sure they say the number  of hours of labor. But, I didnt note what it was...

427heaven

Every time he says system... its 10k minimum >:( Brakes, suspension ,ignition ,exhaust etc. NO THANKS !

acman63

Quote from: billmunny on October 02, 2019, 01:43:49 PM
Curious what they charged the guy for this resto...

He says what the amount was in one of the episodes.  I think it was right when the guy showed up after the car was done ,   if I recall it was over 6 figures
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Quote from: acman63 on October 02, 2019, 03:20:40 PM
He says what the amount was in one of the episodes.  I think it was right when the guy showed up after the car was done ,   if I recall it was over 6 figures

But, but, he got to be on T.V.      ::)

Coralsnake

A full restoration is typically a 1,000 hours in labor (plus/minus) I will let you do the math and add parts...

J_Speegle

Three pictures of the car just because we all know that the link will die at some point in the future, leaving readers wondering what we were discussing or seeing in the link.

Not the completed car but in progress pictures.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427heaven

Entertaining for sure. If someone said that car would take 1000 hours to make like new, he needs to be taken out behind the wood shed. Paint upholstery engine brakes glass install etc. No where near that, the key is you need to know how long each (SYSTEM) takes for a competent mechanic to perform. If you are starting with a complete or semi complete car all the better. When you run the numbers and double check your math you will be a happy camper when your not bent over a barrel in a compromising position. :-[

SCJSTU

1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Karguy

I do believe that someone else said it was six figures plus. I would really like to see a lot of fantomworks cars up close, they always look like hardware store bolt, spray can "restorations". Personally, I got to the point where I can't watch that show anymore, Dan is such a drama queen.
Other than that it was a great show. 😎
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!