Author Topic: Unicorn?  (Read 2133 times)

Karguy

• View Profile
Unicorn?
« on: October 01, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »
Unicorn?
As many of you know I have been on the hunt for a correct early 1966 intake manifold or 6S281. This is the manifold that has the firing order and the part number on the back of the manifold, it also has the square corner pad near the A on Cobra.  I know they were limited use on early cars, am I chasing unicorn?? Does anyone think anyone has one of these that could be bought?
 Thanks, Karl
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

TJinSA

• View Profile
Re: Unicorn?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
looks like one!!!
Tom Kubler
6S296

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »
I believe they can be found. The hard part is getting the owner to part with it! 🤪

I can’t tell you how many times people have presented amazing, rare to find pieces when I’ve been looking for stuff, only to say “not for sale”. Why even say you have one?!?  😉
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:32:24 PM »
Sometimes owners of items can be persuaded with an offer of another unusual or difficult to find item

Would guess most of us can make more money/dollars but we can make any more original parts  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:34:37 PM »
As I may have mentioned before, men should give their fiancees an exotic  and rare speed part instead of an engagement ring or a wedding ring.  It will have a lot more value in the event of a divorce when it comes time to sell the part compared to a diamond.  "Honey, in a demonstration of my 'luv' for you, I give you this vintage mechanical Hilborn fuel injection system."  Clunk!  As he lays it on the table.  "Oh honey, you shouldn't have."  And she shows it off to her girlfriends.  Maybe this does happen...in a parallel universe.  Or another dimension.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »
Sometimes owners of items can be persuaded with an offer of another unusual or difficult to find item

Would guess most of us can make more money/dollars but we can make any more original parts  ::)

That’s a very good point, Jeff. I’ve heard of many people keeping parts as potential trade bait. Not a bad idea. And, yes - they aren’t making anymore 👍🏻.
Nothing beats a classic!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:33 AM »
We have all heard of the Happy wife Happy life saying... Many of us might not plunk down a Hilborn Injection system, but we have STUFF that the wife knows about. My wife gives me grief every time I end up with more STUFF! On occasion she will be around for some  negotiations for a car or parts and will mention that this car or those parts might be available as part of the deal WTF ? She really has no idea of what that stuff is but she knows what many drool over when it is discussed. So on occasion when she really wants something I get rid of that old scrap metal or old junky cars at the shop taking up space according to her ;D Keeps things peaceful.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »
  Sometimes you just have to be patient. They do come up for sale from time to time. The original is still on the original for 6S477 but not for sale.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »
We just moved I have, for years, bragged about having "not much stuff"   OHG!!!! it was insane, And the attic didnt have much nor the area above the garage. I have no idea where it all came from.

And god help me if I have to clean out my place of business. Its like a mini Mustang warehouse

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »
I would love to find one for 296, all I've found so far has been extensively modified
Tom Kubler
6S296

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »
I agree Tom, saw one that was pretty hacked up internally and another that was so rotten, I think it would only be good as a wall hanger.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:14:10 PM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!