News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Back in the day speed, product or customization advertising

Started by FL SAAC, October 01, 2019, 04:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Alrhough not an accessory you know someone out there painted their shelby with Earl .....
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

The very best IMPROVEMENT you can make to your car

You choose to add from 45 to 850 horsepower,  outstanding  !

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

pbf777

The Turbonique was also available in greater H.P. sums; as I have one that was rated at 1000 H.P., originally mounted in a motorcycle frame with chain & sprocket drive,   :o ; ............and there even greater H.P. claims to 1350 H.P.!             8)

I just haven't decided what to mount mine in, but I'm not so crazy as to not at least start with four wheels on the ground anyway!             ::)

Scott.     

TJinSA

Quote from: FL SAAC on July 13, 2020, 09:55:12 AM
The very best IMPROVEMENT you can make to your car

You choose to add from 45 to 850 horsepower,  outstanding  !
Has anyone seen this whacked out idea in person???
Tom Kubler
6S296

TJinSA

Tom Kubler
6S296

pbf777

Quote from: TJinSA on July 16, 2020, 03:28:48 PM

Yes, see my previous post.       :)

Turbonique was here in Orlando, Fl., on Kent St. if I remember right, less than two miles from or shop.  Witnesses in the area would often remark on the annoying loud screeching sound of these units being tested, sometimes even at late night hours.

As far as "whacked-out", well, it was just a different time in history without as many lawyers, men weren't such sensitive wimps; and it did work, with some limitations, and perhaps a few lethal failures, but then, and not to be insensitive, how does the saying go: "you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs"!              :o

I spoke with Mr. Middlebrooks (Jr.?) several decades ago  (now deceased), via telephone as he had moved to Florida's west coast, attempting to explore the subject further, unfortunately he was very cautious and seem depressed in speaking of the subject, I feel it probably had proven to be a bad period in his life, and was perhaps still fearful of the ever more prevalent layers, so I just let it pass and we talked of other subjects instead.

Just Google TURBONIQUE, lotts of info, and even some period vidio/film clips.

For us Ford guys there's a really cool '64 Galaxy with the "Drag Axle" well photographed.              :)

Scott.

FL SAAC

The GOOD OLD DAYS !

Quote from: pbf777 on July 16, 2020, 04:21:25 PM
Quote from: TJinSA on July 16, 2020, 03:28:48 PM

Yes, see my previous post.       :)

Turbonique was here in Orlando, Fl., on Kent St. if I remember right, less than two miles from or shop.  Witnesses in the area would often remark on the annoying loud screeching sound of these units being tested, sometimes even at late night hours.

As far as "whacked-out", well, it was just a different time in history without as many lawyers, men weren't such sensitive wimps; and it did work, with some limitations, and perhaps a few lethal failures, but then, and not to be insensitive, how does the saying go: "you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs"!              :o

I spoke with Mr. Middlebrooks (Jr.?) several decades ago  (now deceased), via telephone as he had moved to Florida's west coast, attempting to explore the subject further, unfortunately he was very cautious and seem depressed in speaking of the subject, I feel it probably had proven to be a bad period in his life, and was perhaps still fearful of the ever more prevalent layers, so I just let it pass and we talked of other subjects instead.

Just Google TURBONIQUE, lotts of info, and even some period vidio/film clips.

For us Ford guys there's a really cool '64 Galaxy with the "Drag Axle" well photographed.              :)

Scott.

I have all UNGOLD cars

roddster

As I recall, the Turbonique was a solid fuel powered item that attached to the rear axle.  Problem is, once the solid fuel was lit, the was no shut off valve.  I recall the NHRA banned it.

FL SAAC

One word only .... EXCITEMENT!

Quote from: roddster on July 17, 2020, 09:31:28 AM
  As I recall, the Turbonique was a solid fuel powered item that attached to the rear axle.  Problem is, once the solid fuel was lit, the was no shut off valve.  I recall the NHRA banned it.

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

I remember sitting in the stands of O. C. I. R. Drag strip in the late 60s early 70s and a rocket powered dragster pulled into the staging lanes. Top Fuel dragsters and Funny cars were running high 6s low 7s back then, when the announcer said whats the driver holding up? It was 5 fingers... we all yelled in anticipation of a 5 second run, then it was announced he installed a 5 second PILL for the rocket to run for 5 seconds. Once lit it would not turn off until all fuel was burned off. No brakes , parachutes was going to stop it! It ran as planned, thank god for that driver that had bowling ball CAHONES. I think his name was FEARLESS Fred Goeskey (spelling)

pbf777

Quote from: roddster on July 17, 2020, 09:31:28 AM

Nope!

Liquid Isopropyl Nitrate, marketed as "Thermolene" fuel; this being injected into the combustion chamber from a pressurized container vessel, with a control valve for "ON/OFF" but not throttling.  So it was an all or nothing event, but one could wimp-out after initializing if necessary, although as the story has it, one didn't want to attempt a re-firing as potentially excess unburned fuel may have accumulated within the combustion chamber which may explode with a bomb effect; but I think perhaps this was caused by terminating the ignition spark rather than the fuel supply for shut-down?           ;)

And yes, it was banned, but whether it was due to the reported fatalities associated, the safety requirement investment concerns for the tracks, the fact that the exhibited performances seemed to eclipse that being provided from piston engines, or perhaps the typical tracks of the period just weren't constructed with what was perceived as adequate shut-down distance for the elevated speeds, or maybe just the human behavior of being weary of something new and different.           :-\       

And probably not good stuff to play with from the health stand point, and I'm not just referring solely to the flammability consequences.            :o

Scott.