Author Topic: T-5 Nightmare  (Read 8687 times)

pmustang

• View Profile
Re: T-5 Nightmare
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »
Please don't read my post about T10 issues recently, I almost teared up reading your post. I had nightmares, rebuilt trans was a mess. Best of luck with your issue. Peter

I hear you, Pete!  I did read your thread recently...it sent shivers down my spine.  I hope you're getting things sorted out in the end.   :'(

I kept the customer fully involved throughout my ordeal with this issue and gave links to threads where I asked the questions and results when suggestions were tried. I finally said I would give his deposit back and he could walk away from the car but he decided the deal was good enough and took the car as it was. I gave him a spare T10 (so the rebuilt original and a replacement one) and he was happy. He has since said that once he gets the T10 sorted (the numbers match one) he will give me back the 2nd one. I later found the receipts for the car and there was a rebuild receipt for the one in the car a short while before I got it so it was rebuilt twice and still a mess.

cheers and hope you get sorted soon. Peter

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »

I just got off the phone with Tremec, and they are going to do a 1 for 1 swap. 
So, I'll drive it for now, double clutch it into 5th, and wait for the new tranny to come.  The saga continues!  ::)

I would suggest doing as much "home-work" as is reasonably possible with the existing unit in place, with the intention of ruling out all other possibilities, leaving one with the conclusion of only the box being at fault.  Remember, someone already practiced throwing parts at it, to apparently no avail, and I'm not sure if just changing the entire unit vs the parts within is much different in effect, but possibly. And one also doesn't want to just accidentally thru an inconsistent R & R process have the problem disappear, as this may only prove temporary, and then you may not at that point have any support remaining from the manufacture(s).       ;)

Scott.

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »
Ruben, Scott brings up a good point.  A few bottles of REDLINE MTL (https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil) is worth a shot....and, while they've been very supportive, what's going to be the warranty on the replacement?  Hopefully, not an "Oklahoma Guarantee" (30 miles or 30 minutes, whichever occurs first) :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:46:09 AM by NC TRACKRAT »
5S071, 6S1467

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2019, 10:19:16 PM »
 putting me in a different lubricant May mess with the warranty and they might refuse to touch the tranny again. I would talk to Bruce at modern Driveline as he has been working with these transmissions for over twenty years and even Shelby went to him for help  with putting newer style transmissions in some of their vehicles.
https://www.moderndriveline.com/

Sincerely, Roy Richards
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2019, 11:08:27 PM »
Thanks as always to all for the input!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »
putting me in a different lubricant May mess with the warranty and they might refuse to touch the tranny again. I would talk to Bruce at modern Driveline as he has been working with these transmissions for over twenty years and even Shelby went to him for help  with putting newer style transmissions in some of their vehicles.
https://www.moderndriveline.com/

Sincerely, Roy Richards

You won't need a warranty on a transmission that works. The fluid can always be removed. It isn't a permanent modification. ATF does not have the right friction modifiers for the manual's syncros.

Then again, you want brass syncros, not paper ones.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2019, 11:48:07 AM »
     We were a Tremec sales, warranty inspection & repair facility for many a year; that was until their marketing dept decided to concentrate their ties to regional "Elite" dealers and our region was routed to someone who hadn't sold one tenth the number of units we had, nor did they provide any additional services, but hey, that's what pals are for right?  But anyway, I'll say it again, Dextron II type fluid is correct, any value difference between one product vs. another is not relevant, but do not put "gear-lube" in the box as it is inappropriate (and will cause failure!), and upon inspection disassembly it will be witnessed, and would be grounds to void any warranty responsibility.      ;)

Scott.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
 In a T5 , carbon fiber synchros are excellent. 5th is the only gear that uses a brass "blocker ring".
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

FR500Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2019, 06:08:48 PM »
Scott is right. Dexron II only. I've been running my T-5 (Z) trans behind 419 lb-ft Roush engine for 6-7 years with no problems. It's not the ideal trans but it works fine, even for a lot of "spirited" driving. It's also small enough I didn't have to enlarge the shifter hole or hack anything on my '66 GT350 (SFM6S264).

Greg D.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
So, I think this chapter is finally closed!  After sending back my original T-5 that would grind going into 5th gear, having them "rework it", sending it back to me, only to have the same problem arise after a few 5th gear shifts, and now finally getting a whole new transmission installed - all is well!   :D

What's interesting is that the shop noted the fluid drained from the old (original) T-5 looked terrible. 

Hopefully, this is the end of the story. 
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 03:54:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing the details of your T-5 experience. Now for the miles & smiles.

Steve

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing the details of your T-5 experience. Now for the miles & smiles.

Steve

Exactly! 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »
One final post to close the loop: TREMEC has done an outstanding job of completely rectifying the situation to my full satisfaction. They did an amazing job of making everything right.  And, the new transmission continues to exceed expectations.

Thanks again to all!
Nothing beats a classic!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »
The follow up is much appreciated.

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »