Author Topic: Question about louvered hoods  (Read 5180 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Question about louvered hoods
« on: February 21, 2018, 08:05:59 AM »
I recently posted that I have a service replacement full fiberglass hood with louvers for sale.  I've been contacted by the current owner of car no. 3070.  A very nice guy who wondered if we know whether his car would have come with a louvered hood or not.  It's not an A/C car, but interestingly, it does have tinted windows according to the registry.  The SJ date 6/23/67 is and SA date is 7/21/67.  Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Question about louvered hoods
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:58:40 AM »
Interesting.

I always thought tinted windows only came on A/C cars.

Sorry to hijack the question  ::)

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »
I checked my records and found the following:
SAI Build Date:   June 21, 1967 (GT350 only)

67200 – (5)   2963(U)   3000(N)   3014(N)   3070(U)   3154(U)
67202 – (3)   3007(U)   3174(N)   3186(N)
67203 – (1)   3188(N)
67210 – (2)   3086(N)   3176(U)

U = Unknown
N = Non-louvered

My guess would be that the non-louvered hood would be correct for 3070. I see no reason to believe that a louvered hood would have been used.

I also agree with 2112, I was not aware that other than A/C cars received tinted windows.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:36:29 AM »
I am convinced some of the very late cars maybe last 100 or so could have had the louvered hood from SA. In fortunately there are no factory records to support that. At the end of production there was excess of louvered hoods that also made their way into the service system by observations. The reverse is true for the non louvered variety. i have head several accounts of hoods being bought back I the day(replace rather then fix fiberglass was common back then) only to find the louvered hood was the official 67 Shelby hood you received.  It makes perfect sense that what with winding down of 67 production a decision would be made to use up the excess supply of the louvered hood rather then commit to a minimum order of the non louvered variety and have more left over. It didn't really hurt anything to use the louvered hood in fact it had better cooling characteristics . I think that 3070 is too early for this possible scenario if historic correctness is a concern . Over the years it is common for owners to have louvered hoods swapped on their cars for reasons like I mention (accident replacement and what you got by default) , better cooling, and personal preference for looks. Dave Mathews would be the one to ask about tinted windows and no A/C . I have not heard of that before.  67 Shelby's typically did not have other options beside the mandatory ones ,auto vs 4 speed and choice of air or not . I am not sure if heavy duty battery was a option (non A/C cars) or random anomaly's during production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:00:34 PM »
Bob,

My 1967 GT350, which was completed at SAI on 5/16/67 was one of those that had the hood replaced due to cracking. The replacement took place some time between 8/67 and 10/67 with other warranty work most likely at S&C Motors. The replacement hood was the non-louvered type. I would be OK with either one on my car.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
Bob,

My 1967 GT350, which was completed at SAI on 5/16/67 was one of those that had the hood replaced due to cracking. The replacement took place some time between 8/67 and 10/67 with other warranty work most likely at S&C Motors. The replacement hood was the non-louvered type. I would be OK with either one on my car.
Certainly ,ether one given that warranty time frame IMO. We may never know the exact  circumstances surrounding the use those parts. My comments were not meant to imply "all" but "some".   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:28:37 PM »
Bob,

I understood that you were not saying all. I was just adding my own 2 cents regarding my car.

Thanks again for all you add to these discussions.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:39:29 PM »
Thanks all.  I found out from Dave that the tinted windows in the registry was an 'owner reported item'.  So don't put much credence in it.  This car has had a very hard life.  Sorry. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »
Is it also correct saying that not all A/C equipped cars got the louvered hood?
Also, were there any louvered steel framed hoods made?
I assume most of this info would be from owner reporting rather than from documentation.
Kurt
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »
I own 3074 and it has the non-louvred hood.

The speculation on the why and where is probably as accurate as anything but in addition there was a design decision made for the '68, certainly during '67 production, which incorporated the louvres for all '68sand I would think that just putting louvered hoods on the last 100 or so '67s also is in some strange way was a engineering test or verification that it was going to be ok for the '68s?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:28:35 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
Sorry all again, the 'G' in the registry I read incorrectly.  I though it was in the position for the 'tinted windows' option, but the owner told me the car was painted DMG when he got it, hence the 'G' designation.  I read it wrong.  Still, good to know about the louvered hood, I had always wondered. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »

The speculation on the why and where is probably as accurate as anything but in addition there was a design decision made for the '68, certainly during '67 production, which incorporated the louvres for all '68sand I would think that just putting louvered hoods on the last 100 or so '67s also is in some strange way was a engineering test or verification that it was going to be ok for the '68s?
Your statement seems to imply that "all' of the last 100 or so got the louvered hoods . Whether that was your intention or not I wanted to clarify that my statement was meant to imply that during the last 100 or so cars louvered hoods could have intermittently been installed .

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
I did an experiment concerning the last group of cars built by Shelby and their hoods.
Ford stopped assembling the 1967 Shelby cars in mid July. 69 cars were assembled that month. Of those cars only 2 people claim louvered hoods and one of the two cars had been badly wrecked. 46 reported unlouvered hoods.
If louvered hoods were used, it was only on a few cars.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »

Your statement seems to imply that "all' of the last 100 or so got the louvered hoods . Whether that was your intention or not I wanted to clarify that my statement was meant to imply that during the last 100 or so cars louvered hoods could have intermittently been installed .

I'm not implying anything of the sort. However, I have found that sometimes making an inaccurate statement, even unintentionally, will have the effect of having those who know but were not motivated to speak, get a fire lit under them. So in the end, many benefit.

The needs of the many out number the needs of the few...or the one?  V        ;)

I would not consider 46 hoods, "only a few". That's a significant number to me.

So Dave, you are saying that you have information that shows that 46 of the last 69 hoods installed were louvered?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:17:21 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 03:41:54 PM »
2 loovered hoods.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry