Author Topic: WTB 3/8-16 X 1¼ Grade 5 Ford hex cap fastener marked with small letter F  (Read 1904 times)

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Wanted to buy.  There seems to have been two versions of one 1960s Ford fastener in Grade 5 for certain FE engine exhaust manifold attachment. See picture below. The fully threaded version is not very rare and there is an excellent reproduction of it available. I am looking for some mint used or new old stock ones as shown in the lower images with the small logo F and the partially threaded shank.

Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:31:13 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

rockhouse66

• View Profile
Re: WTB 3/8-16 X 1¼ Grade 5 Ford hex cap fastener marked F
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 10:40:38 AM »
Hi Dan,

Knowing you, 2 out of 3 isn't close enough.  Note these have a different head design - recessed on top and a little lip or flange on the bottom.  And I only have these two.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »
Hi Dan,

Knowing you, 2 out of 3 isn't close enough.  Note these have a different head design - recessed on top and a little lip or flange on the bottom.  And I only have these two.

Thanks, but I am trying to understand and find the partially threaded version as shown. I have found used ones occasionally but I can't determine what the part number was IF it was a different number. Ford might have had several parts for an application over time.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
Dan, what are these used to attach, a fuel pump for a cobra?  thanks
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 04:26:40 PM »
Fuel pump, not normally but maybe on at least one works team racer but the available picture is not clear or close enough to tell for sure. The unrestored street car images I have show the same SEMS® brand Ford special fuel pump fixing bolts Ford assembly plants used. Our CSX2310 is a good example. New HP289 engines (don't know about XHP-260 and HP260 ones) arrived at Shelby American without fuel pumps installed. What I don't recall, and I don't want to go take the pump off the black car at this time, is did Shelby American use the special thin small diameter flat washers with the Ford hex cap screws and their captured lock washers or not. Ford, at least on Fairlanes, used the thin flat washers to keep the spiral lock washers from damaging the flanges of their engine mounted mechanical fuel pumps. (The original flat washers for this application are very rare now.)

The Cobra applications I have studied for the small letter version include starters, remote fuel filter assemblies and spacers through CSX2125, and alternator brackets CSX2201 through at least CSX2437 and maybe later. CSX2524 had the large letter fully threaded version if they were the originals to the car.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:38:25 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case

Special Ed

• View Profile
The b9 valve cover bolts are same way early big F then small F but the same bolt just head markings different version.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: WTB 3/8-16 X 1¼ Grade 5 Ford hex cap fastener marked with small letter F
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
still hunting
Dan Case