News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

C6FE heads

Started by Mike_Senar, February 21, 2018, 02:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Senar

Someone here have a set they would let go of?
                                                    Mike

PR

Mike are you looking for the GT 40 small block heads,  the A or CA heads

Dan Case

Quote from: Mike_Senar on February 21, 2018, 02:33:45 PM
Someone here have a set they would let go of?
                                                    Mike

I don't want to sell my spare Shelby Group II team car set from 1967 but you might mention more detail as to what you prefer. There were 289 Ford wise:
-   At least two different casting patterns with slightly different exterior appearance.
-   Stock assemblies from Ford.
-   Assemblies ported by or for Ford Advance Vehicles in England
-   Assemblies ported by Valley Head Service for Shelby American Inc (SAI)
-   Assemblies ported by Joe Mondello for SAI
-   Vintage racing reproduction castings ported by lots of companies at least once since circa 1975

Randy might know of more versions.

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

SFM5S000

Dan,

There are also the sets of C6FE heads Jack Schroll had recasted out here on the west coast. Forrest still has several sets. Randy should be familiar with these as well and their "tendencies"...

Cheers,
~Earl J

Dan Case

Quote from: SFM5S000 on February 21, 2018, 03:32:08 PM
Dan,

There are also the sets of C6FE heads Jack Schroll had recasted out here on the west coast. Forrest still has several sets. Randy should be familiar with these as well and their "tendencies"...

Cheers,
~Earl J

Thanks. I know ones traceable back to day one are scarce. Vintage racers in England and Europe always seem to be hunting genuine Ford sets. I had three sets, one from a Shelby prepared GT40 (now on my red car's play engine), one from an engine used in the works Group II Mustang and its induction system (in storage since circa 1968), and a set that Bob Johnson got from Shelby and used on one of his engines (now on a ultra restored GT40).
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

gt350hr

I have had seven sets of "originals". All sold off years ago. Dan mentioned the two types , early with cast in spring seats like a HiPo head, and late which used a machined
steel spring seat. The Jack Schroll/TOE remakes had some other differences. Both have an inherent weakness in that they tend to crack lengthwise under the exhaust ports. 69-70 351W heads can be made to perform as well according to some head porters and do not carry the ultra price tag.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Shelby73

I have a set that I may would sell call me one day and we will discuss it. 828-308-8103 Andy
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

Bill Collins

I have a set owned by me since the mid 1970's. Got them at the time from some racer friends. They claimed this set came off of a GT40 that ran at the Daytona Continental. I will sell them now. PM me if you have interest.
Bill
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

shelbydoug

Why is the valve size configuration on these heads different then other Windsor heads? The small intake valve and large 1.625 exhaust valve always seem strange?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Doug
    1.88 x 1.625 is what the engineers felt was best "back then" . That is the same valve sizing as SAI used on R model heads. It is not a coincidence. With "current thinking"  they could be changed to 1.94 x1.550 and be better ( IMHO anyway).

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on February 22, 2018, 10:25:55 AM
  Doug
    1.88 x 1.625 is what the engineers felt was best "back then" . That is the same valve sizing as SAI used on R model heads. It is not a coincidence. With "current thinking"  they could be changed to 1.94 x1.550 and be better ( IMHO anyway).

So if I'm building a "period correct car", do I maximize it for "then" or now?  ;D

I don't know what would be best in a GT40 head but in a "Windsor head" I would have to think that the way to go would be 2.02's/1.60's, provided you can fit them? The 1.94's were the biggest that I could fit in my 302 heads because the valve guide centers were so whacky. A couple of chambers could take the 2.02's on both heads. A couple wouldn't and would overlap the exhausts.

Now I'm not even talking about the shrouding the 2.20's would have, but it was noticible where they would fit. They were right up against the wall.

The 1.94's JUST made it on the close cylinders. That's still good though considering that Ford recommended the 1.875 intakes and called them the GT40 valves.

The intake pockets had enough in the castings to open them up considerably. The first set of Ford Motorsport iron GT40 heads that I bought, the pockets are a joke. The only thing worse then them are the "truck" castings.

As far as the comments about some saying they were able to get the 351W heads being able to the level of the original GT40's, that's what they say.  I wasn't able to get them there.  In fact, I think the 302 head casting is more workable, particularly in the valve pockets but what do I know? I'm already brain damaged by breathing those dust fumes and deaf from the whine of the grinder anyway?

Oh, and that's not necessarily saying that the results on the 302 were any good, just better than the 351w BUT that as it turns out is proprietary information!  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Doug
      2.02 is too big without a valve guide shift like aftermarket heads have . The problem is not valve diameter it is the PORTS. I helped a drag racer stuck with running 1.78x1.45 valves make WELL over 500 hp in a Super Stock drag race combination. The ports were SO thin you could almost SEE the water behind them. He have to turn in well above 9,500 to make the power as well with an extreme roller cam and sheet metal four barrel intake. Spend the money getting the ports done by somebody like Bill Carlquist or Joe Lapine. 2.02 valves won't get you there.
    Randy

shelbydoug

They're already done at 1.94/1.60. There were no issues with them. The guides were redone with solid maganese/bronze with most of the guide casting in the pockets removed.

I was just remarking how inaccurate the original machining on the heads was. The guides were all over the place.

I did have two sets of 289 4v heads that weren't even good for scrap. They were full of these round pellets that dropped out of the castings during porting. So it took six heads to get two good ones.

Good thing they were cheap.

If you think that 289 series head castings are thin, you have to see the FE's. They are so thin between the valves that you can't press in hardened seats without cracking the castings between the valve pockets.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Mike_Senar

Shelby73,
  I called a week or more ago and left a message!   No response yet.   Did you leave the correct #   Also for everyone else, I need the set to have the cast-in spring seats.   reyapnon  at  yahoo  if you are interested...
                                                      Mike