Author Topic: Roll bar repair  (Read 4457 times)

6972boss

• View Profile
Roll bar repair
« on: October 09, 2019, 11:32:00 PM »
Anyone found an easy way to repair the rubber coating on their roll bar? I have one that the coating has tore off. I thought maybe plasti-dip might be an option....

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Roll bar repair
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 12:38:57 AM »
Anyone found an easy way to repair the rubber coating on their roll bar? I have one that the coating has tore off. I thought maybe plasti-dip might be an option....
Where is the popcorn emoticon when you need it ? This question has come up many times over many years. Unfortunate to report I have not seen or heard of a successful original looking repair over the many years I have been working with 67 Shelby's.  Hopefully someone else will have more encouraging news to report.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:25:14 AM »
Does the original coating have a name?

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
 :o ok, looks like I am about to go into uncharted territory! I will attempt a fix and let you know the end result  ::)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 11:24:56 PM »
:o ok, looks like I am about to go into uncharted territory! I will attempt a fix and let you know the end result  ::)
Only uncharted if you come up with a viable original looking repair.  ;)  Attempts to repair the roll bar foam over the years have been numerous because the problem has been around for decades. Just no successful un noticeable looking repairs that I have seen in concours judging or otherwise. Best of luck with your effort . I would suggest thinking outside the box because if it was easy a solution it would have been discovered a long time ago. Who knows you may be the guy.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 07:58:11 AM »
Maybe carefully razor blading the pad off of a new repro one will get you closer (better than nothing) but would be a big effort and won't look exact.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
I have seen the manufacturer info on original bars, but would have to look it up

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »
  Just buy another 67 Shelby, and switch roll bars.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
Maybe carefully razor blading the pad off of a new repro one will get you closer (better than nothing) but would be a big effort and won't look exact.
The new repro bars foam pad appearance finish don't even come close to the original finish look. The repro foam looks like it was sprayed with "Flex Seal" of TV fame. ;D   I would rather live with a pad with a little damage like from a fire extinguish mounting etc. then the cheesy shiny look that the repro bar has . The repro bar is physically made close . It is the finish that is lacking.  Replacing the entire bar is the best solution given the facts IMO. It may not be the cheapest way unfortunately. It is however the cheapest way to get the best look especially when you consider , time ,money ,stress ,personal satisfaction etc. IMO.  Roll bars come up for sale occasionally. Heck a couple in the for sale section of this forum .  FYI 67 and 68 roll bars have different inertia real brackets compared to each other.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 03:18:46 PM »
The new repro bars foam pad appearance finish don't even come close to the original finish look. The repro foam looks like it was sprayed with "Flex Seal" of TV fame. ;D   I would rather live with a pad with a little damage like from a fire extinguish mounting etc. then the cheesy shiny look that the repro bar has . The repro bar is physically made close . It is the finish that is lacking.  Replacing the entire bar is the best solution given the facts IMO. It may not be the cheapest way unfortunately. It is however the cheapest way to get the best look especially when you consider , time ,money ,stress ,personal satisfaction etc. IMO.  Roll bars come up for sale occasionally. Heck a couple in the for sale section of this forum .  FYI 67 and 68 roll bars have different inertia real brackets compared to each other.

You raise the question to me as to what the original bar finish looked like? Was it always this dull flat black or when it was new did it have a sheen to it?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »
What is the best way to preserve an original pad covering?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »

You raise the question to me as to what the original bar finish looked like? Was it always this dull flat black or when it was new did it have a sheen to it?  :o
It was always dull flat black.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 06:13:05 PM »
  Just buy another 67 Shelby, and switch roll bars.
Lol! That's creative! One can never have enough of em
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
I think I'd investigate a large diameter shrink wrap material that is used for rollers on roller table etc. Once it is shrunk wrapped, might be able to simulate the pebble grain finish with a truck bed liner paint / finish??? Just a thought.

Don
gt350bp

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 02:08:26 AM »
Well, lol, I would love to have another Shelby but I'm sure my other 8 mustang would not approve >:(
This roll bar is a 69 and it is going in my 70 mach 1. It is torn on the right side and there was a fire extinguisher strapped on the driver side.  It is OK if it is not concourse.  I'm sure that would be impossible without a big tank to dip it into. I am going to try a repair, don't have much to loose...