News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Car brief

Started by deathsled, October 10, 2019, 10:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Gentlemen, I am floating the idea of creating a YouTube channel devoted to analyzing any and all automotive related cases using a legal analysis of a particular fact pattern cited in the appellate courts as the weekly or tri weekly example. Just want to get a feel here for interest to see if it is a good investment of time.

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Tom Honegger

Would this help us get better check-ups at the dentist?

deathsled

Can't help you there other than to suggest flossing once per day and investment in a dental pick and a soft bristle brush. I have been fortunate enough to never have had a cavity or a filling in my 56 years of life.
My channel would, however educate you on what to expect if you get sued in an auto case and you go through the courts. Or how courts decide lemon laws or what legally happens when a spectator gets injured or dies at a race track and so on.  Or what happens to an Italian restaurant when it infringes on the Lamborghini logo and refuses to comply with a court order to remove the infringement. That sort of thing.

mark p

Quote from: Tom Honegger on October 10, 2019, 11:25:11 AM
Would this help us get better check-ups at the dentist?

Sometimes I have trouble following along  :o :( ::)

IMHO, A listing automotive cases would be interesting... and hopefully not applicable  ;D
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Don Johnston

Richard,

Good idea as long as you do not get some legal backlash for doing it.  I am sure that the discussions on each You Tube item will be revealing as well.

Don

JD

So not on the same context as a "Car Bra" but for a leaky rear-end!

(sorry deathsled I couldn't resist)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

deathsled

Lol! Good point. Published cases are public records. I have been researching privacy expectations regarding discussions about case law. I can keep the names of individuals anonymous by choice but mention bigger names like Porsche Mercedes and so on without too much fear of a backlash. Auto accident cases I can use the citation if anyone wants to look it up. Truth is an absolute defense to libel and slander.  I will present in a law school format with facts, procedure, issue, holding of the court and reasoning. It could work. People love reading the law though not necessarily obeying the law.

Don Johnston

deathsled

My first Car Brief.  Lamborghini sues a restaurant for trademark infringement and gets tough on the restaurant when they fail to comply.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIyABuIFUtk

mark p

Duh! Lose to Lambo in court, then don't comply with the ruling... what were they thinking? ::)

I was also somewhat reminded of the Beretta (Chevy) vs Beretta (gun) case... even though pretty much zero possibility of confusion between products, the courts protected the original names/trademark
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

deathsled

Wow!  I hadn't heard about the Beretta case.  My dad has always said that the law is an "ass."  I sometimes agree.  No common sense applies because courts and lawyers get caught up in such small details and splitting hairs that the bigger picture is completely lost.  I am throwing up another video today, this one involving Porsche.  I may be able to find some Shelby litigation, but I likely won't post it because regardless of what anyone might think of him, I still highly admire what the man did and his old school American approach to ingenuity making do with what was available and still winning! I consider him an inspiration in life.

propayne

Jaguar went after Ford/Mercury over the Cougar "running cat" logo, they thought it looked too much like the leaping Jaguar logo.

Mercury added "COUGAR" under it on the grill emblem and Jag was happy.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

deathsled

Ford liked Jaguar so much they bought the company.  For a while at least...

deathsled

New Car Brief:  Bad Porsche wiring leads to class action litigation in California.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btXxAGh78Jk

I welcome any criticism that leads to improvements on my fledgling channel.  How is the sound?  The video quality?  Too long?  Too much legalese? Clear articulation?  Interesting subject matter?

deathsled

Fighting a red light camera ticket all the way up to the appellate court.
https://youtu.be/d3XJ3kFdP2A