News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Attention: Scammers on this website

Started by Coralsnake, October 11, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

In the real world, I deal with scammers frequently. Recently, I posted an advertisement for an NOS quarter panel. It was answered by this email address. They requested pictures, which I sent.

Mitch D. Mike K. <mitchmmxxx1002@gmail.com>

Hello,
  Thanks for the email and the pictures too i appreciate it....However,I want you to know that the price is okay by me and as for picking it up that would not be a problem..I will contact an agent that will handle the pick up...So that won't be a problem....
   As for the payment i will be paying with a certified check which will be cashed easily...I want you to that i will be adding the payment for pick up to the check that would be sent to you..in which you will deduct your $2700 and send the remaining balance to the agent that will be coming for the pick up at your place.To send it out i will need your full name and address where the check will be sent to and probably your phone number...
  Do send the info to me asap....hope hearing from you soon,
     Regards
(No name)

Never take a bank check and return "overage" funds to someone.

I gave this individual time to explain, which has now passed. I understand its not going to stop these people, but it should raise your guard. Especially, if they cant say the know anyone on the forum or hobby.

capecodmustang.com

Peter:  That's an older scam...
They "over pay" by accident and would like you to send the amount right back to them.

By the time their check doesn't clear they are long gone.

One of my favorites is how people put cars on Craigslist but the same day goes on a three week cruise.

Or how they'll send you the car and you can pay the remainder if you like it after a month...

Bret

Coralsnake

I got a call from the Chineese consulate yesterday.

It would be amusing if they didnt have all my personal information.

Seriously, last week two people were scammed out of $140k in my area.

Its like these robo calls, insurance, car warranties, etc

Educationis the best defense

pbf777

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 11, 2019, 09:15:27 AM
Educationis the best defense

True!

But also the consequences for the offenders need to be more severe!      >:(

Scott.

Coralsnake

I am under the pretense this is a new issue, although it may be new to our forum

427heaven

If there are ANY abnormalities in what would be considered a NORMAL transaction... Don't Respond. In this country we don't business with or respond to 3rd world country oddities or abnormalities or poor usage of the English language. Unless were dealing with special ED, but then again we know who were dealing with. ;D..... Just kidding Ed

greekz

I received two text messages the other day saying my Wells Fargo account has been suspended due to fraudulent activity.  Reality is, I do not have a WF account.  It is almost as bad as the calls my Social Security Benefits have been terminated.    If it were not for the numerous people who fall for these ruses, it actually gives me a chuckle for the scammer to think I would fall for their scam.

Back in the 1990's I would get faxes at work from scammers wanting me to send money so they can free up their held funds and my return would be double what I sent them.

It never stops.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

tesgt350

Quote from: greekz on October 11, 2019, 10:44:53 AM
I received two text messages the other day saying my Wells Fargo account has been suspended due to fraudulent activity.  Reality is, I do not have a WF account.  It is almost as bad as the calls my Social Security Benefits have been terminated.    If it were not for the numerous people who fall for these ruses, it actually gives me a chuckle for the scammer to think I would fall for their scam.

Back in the 1990's I would get faxes at work from scammers wanting me to send money so they can free up their held funds and my return would be double what I sent them.

It never stops.

Greek

I get those Robo-Calls to as well as for Bank of America and Chase and I don't have Accounts with any of them.

6R07mi

I had a similar experience as Pete when selling an antique household appliance a number of years ago.
I talked to an extended family member that was a FBI agent who advised me to turn over all my evidence ( I actually had the bogus money orders )
to the FBI cyber crimes taskforce. For these "low" dollar incidents they won't waste time going after them, however often all the various reports lead back to a
central group of criminals perpetrating these scams.  I hope my little piece of information helped send one of the offenders to the "crossbar hotel"!

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Drew Pojedinec

Somewhat in this vain, one of my customers is the head of fraud at Paypal.
He is a car nut like the rest of us, he takes scammers very seriously, if you ever have a problem with someone ripping you off, even if it was paid via "friends and family" let me know and I will put you in contact with him.
You'll need your transaction number, etc.

Good dude.

Bob Gaines

My wife gets phone call scams at least 3 times a week. I get them online more typically then phone for some reason but about 3 or 4 times a week also. Yesterday my wife got a supposed call from Amazon indicating a suspicious purchase. The robo call  gave a 1 800 number to respond to. She called and a hard to understand voice on the other end said that there was a purchase of a 750.00 Iphone and wanted to confirm she had done that. The heavy Indian accent wasn't that suspicious given the many companies that use phone response rooms sourced in India. They confirmed her email address and other info that I will not elaborate on given a public forum . I was in the car driving while she was talking and was waiting for the  typical request to confirm credit card or password etc.  My wife was wise to the ploy but to our surprise the conversation lasted for 5 minutes with other trivial questions I suppose to get her to feel comfortable before asking the credit card or password questions. She got tired of the game and said she was driving and hung up. I did go online and check my account and of course no such transaction had occurred.  It was alarming the information that they had  accumulated to try and pull off the scam.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Last month I kept track and had 22 offers to eliminate my student loan , 7 problems with my Wells Fargo Master card( which I do not have) and FIVE warrants being issued for my Social Security fraud , plus one from the IRS with another warrant because "my" check to them bounced when I get refund checks from THEM!!!
      I particularly enjoy the warrant calls and encourage the caller to "come pick me up NOW" so I can serve my time. next thing I hear is the dial tone. I do this because if I hang up it seems they call back sooner.
   Randy ( hiding out )
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

kjspeed

On the rare occasion that I take the time to answer a telemarketing call I speak gibberish. They ask a few questions and all they get is gibberish in return. Eventually they hang up. Hopefully they mark my number as: Language - Unknown.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kjspeed on October 11, 2019, 02:33:35 PM
On the rare occasion that I take the time to answer a telemarketing call I speak gibberish. They ask a few questions and all they get is gibberish in return. Eventually they hang up. Hopefully they mark my number as: Language - Unknown.
That would have been fun to be a fly on the wall to hear that conversation. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby