Author Topic: 1967 GT350 Thermactor Question  (Read 4161 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1967 GT350 Thermactor Question
« on: October 12, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »
I can’t figure out what the pictures hose attaches to. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 1967 GT350 Thermactor Question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 02:00:37 PM »
Did that valve come off another car/engine?

And does it have three large nipples and or hoses coming from it like this one?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 02:53:33 PM »
This valve was on the car when I got it.

Yes, 3 nipples. Here’s a different view:
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 04:23:47 PM »
Typically (do have a couple of original examples built a month after your car that are different) that nipple at the back attaches to the back side of the air filter housing on a Mustang or to the nipple located on the top of the Thermactor air filter canister with a much longer hose.

You will find allot of restored cars out there that owners/builders added Mustang systems to their Shelby's since the original parts had been taken off back when new or close to new. This will produce allot of different configurations and parts usage, sometimes with the though of "Who will know the difference".

Hose is typically routed to the outside/passenger side of the valve - follows (basically) the heater hoses until it reaches the top of the air filter canister for the Thermactor. Was going to post a picture of the routing but all the ones I have clear pictures of have the heater hoses routed under the hose or other incorrect details I didn't want to post and have people copy other details :(

Looking at other pictures you have posted of 67 #2666 I see that the car was purchased with the flat lid style of canister up front so you will need to find one of those. Not an easy task.  Sometimes )read not very often) they got used on regular Mustangs. With the nipple on the canister plugged off or folded over. Believe original application was a 240 6 cylinder with Thermactor - big car 6 cylinders

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 04:30:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 09:54:57 PM »
Hey Jeff,

This helps a ton! It looked to me like the hose in my first post was supposed to go to the air filter base, but the base I have only has the one nipple for the oil filler cap hose. There is a flat-ish area of the air filter base underside that would be in the hoses general area.  Could this be where the hose might have alternatively attached, if the nipple was installed?

Also, I found this picture below. Did this hose ever get “spliced” into a vacuum hose at the back of the intake?

And, I found out that air blows out of the hose upon acceleration; which would force air into the smog air filter canister, air filter, or whatever else for which it’s connected.

Finally, did I read correctly that the smog setup on a regular Mustang was different than on a Shelby?

Thanks!!!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:27 PM »
A 67 GT350 WITH thermactor uses the same oil breather cap as a 65 or 66 GT350. The hose attached to the oil cap nipple routes to the air cleaner base the same way it does on a 65 or 66 GT350. The base of the air cleaner is the same as the base on 65 or 66 GT350. There are no additional connections to air cleaner base.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
Hey Jeff,

This helps a ton! It looked to me like the hose in my first post was supposed to go to the air filter base, but the base I have only has the one nipple for the oil filler cap hose. There is a flat-ish area of the air filter base underside that would be in the hoses general area.  Could this be where the hose might have alternatively attached, if the nipple was installed?

There is no optional or alternative hook up for a factory installed unit. With the Thermactor system you still have the somewhat separate PVC and breather (closed crankcase) system on a small block

Also, I found this picture below. Did this hose ever get “spliced” into a vacuum hose at the back of the intake?

Looks to be a system off of a 390 Mustang or similar car. Just going to confuse things IMHO

Finally, did I read correctly that the smog setup on a regular Mustang was different than on a Shelby?

Two different car so they would be certified separately and not a big surprise there were differences (some) though the principles were basically the same. It's surprising that it took so long for Calif to catch on (or just missed it) to the 289 K code engines. Only finally requiring the systems towards the end of the year. 

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
Great - this helps a lot!

Now, I just need to find the correct smog air filter and hose...😬
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
Another question - is there a routing schematic of the Thermactor system available? I’m traveling internationally this week and don’t have access to my 1967 Mustang Assembly Manuals. Would it be in there?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
Another question - is there a routing schematic of the Thermactor system available? I’m traveling internationally this week and don’t have access to my 1967 Mustang Assembly Manuals. Would it be in there?

Not sure that the Assembly manuals would provide all the details your looking for

Here is a diagram from a larger project - hope it helps

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:08:23 PM by J_Speegle »

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 02:44:20 AM »
This is perfect, Jeff. Many thanks!!!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 02:54:49 AM »
One last question (which I believe I know the answer 😉): is the connection point for the valve on the intake manifold identified in the schematic the mount bracket? I’ve reattached a picture to confirm.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 03:45:51 AM »
One last question (which I believe I know the answer 😉): is the connection point for the valve on the intake manifold identified in the schematic the mount bracket? I’ve reattached a picture to confirm.

The valve has four conntection points identified in the drawing #1-3 and the small thin hard line that runs to the vacuum supply on the intake manifold.

Your unidentified loose hose is #1 on the drawing

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »
Thanks for all the clarification, especially regarding the hard line going to the intake manifold. I’ll take a look once I get back.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 04:10:52 AM »
Actually, do you happen to have a picture of the small hard line you referenced, Jeff?
Nothing beats a classic!