Author Topic: Shelby plant tour in Las Vegas  (Read 2600 times)

stangman39

• View Profile
Shelby plant tour in Las Vegas
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »
Was in Vegas for the long weekend this past weekend with my wife.
First thing we did after checking in at hotel was head to the Shelby plant.
Jim King gave a great informative tour.
Really enjoyed it.
If you're in Vegas and have not been to the plant, a must visit I'd say.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby plant tour in Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
True.  Did it three weeks ago and spent time with Jim, as I do each year.  Sometimes, you can catch Rick Titus doing his Drivers Talk radio show live with special guests. 8)

06H275

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
I usually visit 2-3 times a year. Pretty cool place!

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »
I've been doing the tour for the last eleven years, all the way back to 2006 at the old museum in North Las Vegas.  I must have done the tour 35 or 40 times now.

I remember several years ago I was at SEMA with my friend Steve and we went to the old museum and took the tour.  When we got to the back area in the manufacturing area I saw an amazing 60's Mustang at the other end of the manufacturing area so I broke away from the tour and dragged my bud Steve with me to check out this wicked 60's mustang.

As we approached this amazing red Mustang I quickly realized standing next to the car was Carroll Shelby, Edsel Ford II and I forget who.

200 feet away was the tour with 75 people talking about the history and manufacturing of Shelby cars and at the other end of the manufacturing area was me and my bud Steve, talking to the man.  The 75 people on the tour were completely oblivious to the fact that Carroll was right there, chatting it up with us.

Damn, those tours were pretty awesome at the old museum but alas, the founder is now gone.

Of course things have changed and now me and my bud Steve hang out at the SAAC conventions every year with all the keepers of the Shelby flame.

I'm just starting to put the names to faces but I'm getting there (Pete Disher, Bob Gains, Vern.....and the others that I don't know yet).

We'll see all you bitches at Sonoma ;D (I need a "rock on" emoji right now) .

QSS

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:38:43 AM by QuickSilverShelby »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
I had not been to Vegas in about 13 years.  Since I'm in the SE (originally from the NE!) it's not a short trip.  If I lived closed I'd probably be there too much as I love to play blackjack and like the lights and all that is Vegas!

My wife who lets me do my Mustang stuff without really any constraints stood by me the whole tour.  At the end she said she really enjoyed it and getting a full picture of how much Shelby has meant to the hobby etc.  That alone made it worth it for me to take the tour.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:03:24 PM »
I make the 2800 mile trip almost each year since the first location opened in the mid 90s.  Always people to meet and have a chat over what is happening.

Did you know that there is a live video cam in the Heritage Center:
http://www.shelby.com/?topic=museum&art=SHC

8)

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
Re: live video cam
I texted my parents when we were there and waved at them haha

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 09:32:31 PM »
Since it is Vegas, the cam helps verify husband stories to concerned wives as to the "I am going to look at some Shelbys down the road, sweetie."   Of course, you do have to really be where you said you would be. 8)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 04:32:29 AM »
Ultimate factory tour was when Rick Kopec sent me to CSs to photograph all the new parts for the "found" 427 chassis. Met him at his office then rode with him to McCluskys to look at all the bins of new castings and body parts. Rolled out the freshly completed 427SC for a few shots of CS and his racer. Stopped at lunch on the way back. Scariest street ride ever in a Dodge minivan. 2nd best tour was his Dodge plant in Whittier while shooting a cover for Mustang Illustrated. A real 1966 GT350 Convertible Jay Leno and his Mark Garish Cobra replica. Yes CS hired a lot of talent to develop his cars but he sure knew what they were doing and made sure the details he wanted were there.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless