Author Topic: 1965 G2 Radiator  (Read 2637 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1965 G2 Radiator
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
From what I have noticed, a number of 65 GT350's have 2-65 and 3-65 date coded radiators.  Most of the cars I have seen with these radiators are also in the 200's and beyond which makes sense with their production dates.  I have never seen a G2 radiator in 11-64 or 12-65 but I have seen early Gt350 cars unrestored with Y2 radiators so this begs the question, when did the G2's start?   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:59:34 PM by Greg »
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 G2 Radiator
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 03:04:00 PM »
I have a G2 before November 64.
Can check date.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 03:24:23 PM »
Have G2 with date made of Oct 64 documented in some very early double digit 65's

Unrestored does not always mean unchanged or unaltered
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »
Have G2 with date made of Oct 64 documented in some very early double digit 65's

Unrestored does not always mean unchanged or unaltered
[/color]

Very true

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 05:03:14 PM »
I've seen an 11-64 G2 before as well. 

I don't know if the following is fact:  some of the early G2 radiators were actually Y2s with a soldered square "G" over the "Y" on some early 65s.  Can anyone validate this?
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
Have seen G2's (brazed over letter) a couple of times and other combinations also. Don't know what letter was under since I didn't remove the latter

This practice was not normal for assembly line production - these IMHO are much more of an oddity
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »
Keep in mind that the Shelby numbers are not always a good reference point as far as Ford details go, or even Shelby[specific details.  It was common that there could be a 30-50 SFM number difference between cars finished the same day.  There is even a date in May where there was a 100 car SFM number difference between those finished that day.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 06:54:54 PM »
Mine is earlier than Nov but is not the original to the car and there is no way it came in a Shelby because its too early for that application.
However it is he correct rad but with a non confirming date.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »
Keep in mind that the Shelby numbers are not always a good reference point as far as Ford details go, or even Shelby[specific details.  It was common that there could be a 30-50 SFM number difference between cars finished the same day.  There is even a date in May where there was a 100 car SFM number difference between those finished that day.

As with everything, nothing is consistent :-)....  It is an interesting topic and it would be interesting to learn what all of the cars came with but to your point, the only way to do so would be with the consecutive Ford numbers since the cars ran down the assembly line and Rad's installed but Shelby didn't produce them in Ford Vin sequence.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 07:39:24 PM »
As with everything, nothing is consistent :-)....  It is an interesting topic and it would be interesting to learn what all of the cars came with but to your point, the only way to do so would be with the consecutive Ford numbers since the cars ran down the assembly line and Rad's installed but Shelby didn't produce them in Ford Vin sequence.

Also remember that San Jose didn't assemble (non of the plants did) cars in sequential order by VIN, though we use to believe that a few decades ago. Example 184000 could have been built before 183000. Same goes with projected (stamped on door tags of Mustangs and other vehicles) build dates

Plenty of records and documentation of that.  That is why Ford records available on 1967 and up cars help so much with this sort of details and the discussion and why it's much more difficult for cars built before 1967

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 08:37:50 PM »
16 has 9/64