News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Gas Tank Install

Started by Fastback66, February 22, 2018, 11:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastback66

Was there any sealer or anything used between the gas tank lip and body on the 69/70 GT350?

In The Doghouse

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fastback66 on February 22, 2018, 11:07:22 AM
Was there any sealer or anything used between the gas tank lip and body on the 69/70 GT350?
Yes, as mentioned strip caulk. Typically a gray or dark gray color . You can get it from most larger Mustang vendors ,Eastwood, auto paint stores and some better supplied auto parts stores.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

If you purchase the thin strips take 3 or 4 of them and work them together in a single thick strip them apply each section around the opening then install the tank. Once compressed this provides a strip about 1/2" or slightly wider like originally done.  And this way you don't see the single strands through the unused holes not used for mounting screws nor around the opening. ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

And dont forget to install grey  caulk strip around filler neck when reinstalling it also after tank is in place.

Fastback66

Does anyone know where I can find the fuel sending unit wire clips? I've searched a few vendors without luck.

mr68shelby

Not sure the exact clips yours needs, but check AMK. They have most everything.

Fastback66

Found what I needed at AMK, thank you!