Author Topic: For That Spoiled Kid We ALL Know: Kid Sized 1965 Shelby Cobra 289  (Read 2034 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile

Kid-Sized Shelby Cobra Comes with 7 Horsepower and Swag for Days

It may be a little early, but we’re already nominating Ernesto Frietas for dad of the year. Why? Because he built his son this amazing Shelby Cobra toy car with 7 horsepower and a 25-mph top speed. According to Carscoops, this independent Portuguese engineer and designer has been working on kit cars and other interesting builds for a number of years. But Ernesto admits that it was one of his favorite projects to work on: “It was a time consuming but very rewarding process, giving me much pleasure and experiences that no other project could allow.”

Built from the ground-up, the car consists of a tubular chassis, independent suspension, rear-wheel drive and the aforementioned 7 horsepower 50cc gas engine, with a top speed of 25 mph. And the body — it’s hand-crafted completely from fiberglass and finished off with Cobra racing stripes. PHOTOS: See More of the 1965 Shelby Cobra 289 In total, the project took Ernesto over 1,600 hours to complete. And while at first it may have just been a fun side project, he’s looking to capitalize on the one-of-a-kind toy car with production possibilities:

“I’m in a plan to develop a ‘production’ version of this ‘toy’…prices would be in the range of €16,000 (approx. $21,000) for a turn-key car, but will also provide kits in several stages of assembling." It's cool to be sure, though for $21K, we might buy ourselves some sort of used sportscar beater. But we're selfish like that. PHOTOS: See More of the 1967 Shelby Cobra 427

https://www.motor1.com/news/72168/kid-sized-shelby-cobra-comes-with-7-horsepower-and-swag-for-days/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:10:06 PM by BGlover67 »
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: For That Spoiled Kid We ALL Know: Kid Sized 1965 Shelby Cobra 289
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 02:48:18 AM »
...$21K?!?!  Wow. I had the wrong parents. 😉
Nothing beats a classic!

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 03:07:37 AM »
My grandson is waiting for the aluminum body version. ::)

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 03:09:28 AM »
I know a guy who has a aluminium cobra body in 1:2 scale. Its for sale. If my daughter would get such a toy I can promise you guys she will kill this thing in hours.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 06:46:49 AM »

Very nice..... although something a little more reasonably priced like the Shelby Licensed version or how about the large 24Volt car (sorry no Shelby's) for kids.

https://www.bigtoysgreencountry.com/ride-on-cars/

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »

Very nice..... although something a little more reasonably priced like the Shelby Licensed version or how about the large 24Volt car (sorry no Shelby's) for kids.

https://www.bigtoysgreencountry.com/ride-on-cars/

Nice Steven.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative