News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Barn find

Started by tooeys, February 22, 2018, 01:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: tooeys on March 31, 2018, 03:34:28 PM
Is there a parts supplier recommended for body or interior accessories. Someplace to start.
The good news is most of the interior and chassis parts are Mustang and there are many restoration parts suppliers. Most of the oddball Shelby stuff has been redone. There is some difference in quality of parts and you'll learn quickly to stay away from Pookys NOS parts. Your big decision will be concours, restored driver or unrestored barn find. At 60 grand you could stick another 100 into it and still probably make 10-20 if you decided to sell it. 3 owner cars are fairly rare in this day and age. And white on Shelbys beats the auction maxim that red brings more money.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

How many KR fastbacks are selling for $170-180,000?

Gee I guess I missed that price jump.....

shelbydoug

I don't see how you can get, or expect to get this car for better then 60? Only a complete collapse of "the market" could get it for you lower.

In fact I would "expect" a decent KR to be very sellable for about 90 and at 60, it's a little bit of a miricle?

Now all things considered, Coralsnake is exactly right. You will be hard pressed to find a documentable sale for 180.

That really means that a car like this that needs to be "restored", if you had to pay 90, is already under water by quite a bit. At 60, maybe your head will stick out of the water if you can tread for a while? I don't know for sure. It all depends.

With this business of "continuation '68s" being offered for 229, it's unknowable how that will overall affect the "original" market?

It doesn't make sense that even a new continuation car should bring that much more then an original but we are all just along for the ride and watching that as bystanders.

I would have thought that the documented selling prices of the Eleanor would have made real Shelbys more desirable and thus more valuable but it doesn't appear that actually ever happened?
It would seem that the customers for both are just two different types of people with different perspectives?

This is becoming more and more like owning race horses. You do it for the sport and notoriety and is just a way of one spending their free time and money on basically a labor of love or showing up the other owners in this kind of a "gentleman's competition"?  ::)

You simply will probably never recoup everything that you put into the car. You need to accept that now. If you work it right, that truth will set you free. Eventually, anyway.

Oh and personally, I'm glad to hear from even just one person, that white is a desirable color? Few!  :D

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Congratulations!

Don't go overboard ($ wise) on your restoration/refurbishment and enjoy the drive.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 01, 2018, 12:31:08 PM
How many KR fastbacks are selling for $170-180,000?

Gee I guess I missed that price jump.....
OK a little Barrett Jackson hype there.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

tooeys

Hi guys,

I appreciate your thoughts. I am aware that the Shelby market is soft right now. I am more familiar with the Corvette market. That is where I have done some restoration projects. That market is also soft. The price for the car is $60,000. I will try to send some photos to you all tomorrow, so you get a bettor look. It comes with a lot of NOS parts that were purchased about 20 years ago. Includes carpeting Door panels Gauge bezel. Good headliner and seats. New bumpers, a rebuilt motor Plus most of the fasteners and all the required weather stripping. Maybe you will be able to gauge its value better with the photos.
I do have a question. Shelby novice that I obviously am . What is the difference between a Shelby GT 500 and the KR version?

Thanks,

Jack

427heaven

Tooey Your TOOOOOO MUCH April fools day ;)

tooeys

Sorry but it was not a joke it is a real question.

Ldouble619

One is king of the roads

tooeys

I am aware of the genesis of the. My question is there any tangible difference between the two? Mechanical, technical, handling or is it just a decal?

Coralsnake

QuoteWhat is the difference between a Shelby GT 500 and the KR version?

Drivetrain and badging. The engine in a GT500 is a 428, the KR engine is the high performance version of that...a 428 Cobra Jet (different intake, heads, etc) Transmissions also change, The only differences are badging? Just a decal? I think not...very different.

Prices reflect that. You can not do a calculation, that restoration costs + purchase price = value. I would disagree the "market is soft". Prices are what they are, and have been sustainably the same since 2009. Unless you are talking about historical highs, but even then KR fastbacks are very close to what they have been in the past

roddster

GT 500= 428 Police interceptor based engine, KR = 428 Cobra Jet based engine.  Top of the line

tooeys

Thanks that is what I was looking for.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 01, 2018, 10:44:21 PM
QuoteWhat is the difference between a Shelby GT 500 and the KR version?

Drivetrain and badging. The engine in a GT500 is a 428, the KR engine is the high performance version of that...a 428 Cobra Jet (different intake, heads, etc) Transmissions also change, The only differences are badging? Just a decal? I think not...very different.

Prices reflect that. You can not do a calculation, that restoration costs + purchase price = value. I would disagree the "market is soft". Prices are what they are, and have been sustainably the same since 2009. Unless you are talking about historical highs, but even then KR fastbacks are very close to what they have been in the past

Yes agreed on values but in my perspective restoration costs are up. This is really the time to purchase a fully restored car.

Compared to what their value is right now, what restoration costs are, the "core" cost is way to high. That is very unlikely to go down at all.

If you think about it, traditionally the core prices have ALWAYS been too high compared to restored market value.

This is the part where you can recover usually the cost of the core plus the parts but forget about the cost of the labor to go into them. That turns out to be almost a freebee.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

I wish those participating in the antique, classic, collector, special interest or whatever one wishes to label it vehicle ownership field, would stop implying that the participant should calculate the investments one may incur in their ownership, insuring that they don't exceed a value which they may expect to receive at the point in time when they may divest themselves of said ownership. I feel this frame of mind is detrimental to the collecting hobby, where perhaps personal interests would be driving the value, perhaps at a slower, but more stable and understandable rates, vs. some inane "Investment Counselor" dictating market trends and values.

The bulk of the participants are, or should be, involved as "HOBBYISTS", not investors! This idea that one shouldn't invest more capital into a hobby vehicle than he or she can recoup at the sale is preposterous!  Ford Motor Company isn't selling new Mustang GT's vs. some econo-box by implying that your going to get your money back when you sell it. YOU-BUY-IT........... BECAUSE-YOU-WANT-IT!  ;D

Scott.