Author Topic: I need an education on glass!  (Read 3568 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I need an education on glass!
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:26:05 PM »
I have a number of mustangs from 1965 to 1970 and a couple of them are projects and I need to put glass back in them.  A recent comment made about the rear glass of all 67 fastbacks being tinted made me question the use of glass through the years. I figured it would help me and maybe others here understand the uses of certain glass through the early years 1965-1970. My question is about fastbacks (Mustang/Boss/Shelby) but you are welcome to detail other body styles.

1965 and 1966- I assume clear or tinted available and rear glass matched the door glass. Front windshield clear or tinted and tinted only had an upper dark tinted band?

1967 and 1968- I assume clear or tinted available and rear glass matched the door glass (or rear glass was always tinted? [you can buy clear or tinted if you don't have originals]) and rear window had the line down the middle top to bottom. Front windshield clear or tinted and tinted only had an upper dark tinted band (what color band)?

1969-1970- I assume clear or tinted available and rear glass matched the door glass. Front windshield clear or tinted and tinted had an upper dark tinted band (what color band)?

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: I need an education on glass!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/1509-how-to-correctly-identify-early-glass-for-mustangs-cougars

There are also pdf's published by Marcus Anghel, the author of this article.  Can someone post one of them?  He is 'da Man when it comes to explaining features like these, IMHO. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

JohnB

• View Profile

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:02:14 PM »
I have a number of mustangs from 1965 to 1970 and a couple of them are projects and I need to put glass back in them.  A recent comment made about the rear glass of all 67 fastbacks being tinted made me question the use of glass through the years. I figured it would help me and maybe others here understand the uses of certain glass through the early years 1965-1970. My question is about fastbacks (Mustang/Boss/Shelby) but you are welcome to detail other body styles.

1967 and 1968- I assume clear or tinted available and rear glass matched the door glass (or rear glass was always tinted? [you can buy clear or tinted if you don't have originals]) and rear window had the line down the middle top to bottom. Front windshield clear or tinted and tinted only had an upper dark tinted band (what color band)?

1967 Shelby fastbacks -

All had tinted rear glass with an etched vertical line on the center-line inside.

Non-A/C cars - windshield and 4 side glass clear, no tint-strip at the top of windshield.

A/C cars - windshield and 4 side glass tinted, I believe no tint-strip at the top of windshield (others will know better on that last point).

Yes, Marcus does very helpful summaries of Ford parts - THANK YOU for doing those and sharing.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 07:12:00 PM »

1967 Shelby fastbacks -

All had tinted rear glass with an etched vertical line on the center-line inside.

Non-A/C cars - windshield and 4 side glass clear, no tint-strip at the top of windshield.

A/C cars - windshield and 4 side glass tinted, I believe no tint-strip at the top of windshield (others will know better on that last point).

Yes, Marcus does very helpful summaries of Ford parts - THANK YOU for doing those and sharing.
+1 on no tint strip. The distinct tint strip at the top of the windshield is a easy to spot sure sign of a later made windshield.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 09:38:37 PM »

1967 Shelby fastbacks -

+1 on no tint strip. The distinct tint strip at the top of the windshield is a easy to spot sure sign of a later made windshield.

Wow. I'm surprised to hear that A/C equipped '67 Shelby's would not have the windshield tint-strip. Early photos of #0176, #0100, and #0131 cars show the tint-strip in the windshield.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:55:10 PM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:57:53 PM »

1967 Shelby fastbacks -

Wow. I'm surprised to hear that A/C equipped '67 Shelby's would not have the windshield tint-strip. Early photos of #0176, #0100, and #0131 cars show the tint-strip in the windshield.
That is because it is a different many times then the modern harsh tint strip . The vintage tinted windshield had a more subtle transition compared to the more harsh distinct darker strip of many modern after market styles .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 10:55:31 AM »

1967 Shelby fastbacks -

That is because it is a different many times then the modern harsh tint strip . The vintage tinted windshield had a more subtle transition compared to the more harsh distinct darker strip of many modern after market styles .

It appears to me the vintage photos show a fairly distinct line at the top of the windshield as seen in these photos. The way JD worded his reply, it sounded as if the entire windshield was tinted like the side glass on AC equipped cars and there was NO tint-strip.

My first thought was maybe there was a running change that eliminated the tint-strip. The above early cars I noted were produced in September (#0176), November (#0100-#0131- #0139), and very early January (#0463). The largest portion of Shelby cars with A/C were run through Ford’s San Jose factory in April and May.

Noting the comment, windshield tint-strips on modern glass has a more harsh edge, perhaps we can show the differences between the original and modern glass to help clear up any confusion.

Here are photos of the early cars mentioned above. The tint-strip appears to have a brownish color.
Is the color of the tint strip different in modern glass?

I've started a related post on the '67 Shelby Research Group" (SRG) on Google with further research into the 1967 Shelby glass.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/shelbyresearch/odJqvOnqvKI/mrVLCm_eAAAJ

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:04:23 PM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »

1967 Shelby fastbacks -

It appears to me the vintage photos show a fairly distinct line at the top of the windshield as seen in these photos. The way JD worded his reply, it sounded as if the entire windshield was tinted like the side glass on AC equipped cars and there was NO tint-strip.

My first thought was maybe there was a running change that eliminated the tint-strip. The above early cars I noted were produced in September (#0176), November (#0100-#0131- #0139), and very early January (#0463). The largest portion of Shelby cars with A/C were run through Ford’s San Jose factory in April and May.

Noting the comment, windshield tint-strips on modern glass has a more harsh edge, perhaps we can show the differences between the original and modern glass to help clear up any confusion.

Here are photos of the early cars mentioned above. The tint-strip appears to have a brownish color.
Is the color of the tint strip different in modern glass?
I suppose it is because of the difference when comparing something like this in real time first hand and comparing it looking at a monitor or in some photographs. There are subtle differences lost. Of course some of the repro glass looks fine and other generic aftermarket glass does not.

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 04:53:47 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications.
For my 67 non ac car sounds straight forward- windshield and 4 side glass clear, no tint-strip at the top of windshield but back glass tinted.

For my 69 ac car tinted all the way around and windshield clear at the bottom but tinted at top?  I know I've heard of different tints at top being original but maybe that's incorrect- originally the greenish color or brownish?