Author Topic: Rear glass- Original versus reproduction differences  (Read 1325 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Rear glass- Original versus reproduction differences
« on: October 16, 2019, 08:28:42 AM »
A once large mustangs parts seller here in CT (MU) is selling off what's left of its inventory with big discounts. I am always finding and working on mustang projects and saw that they had clear rear fastback glass for 67/68's and was thinking of getting a couple.  Some projects I don't care about originality so basic functional repops work.   I know repro glass, even if they are marked with original style factory markings, are usually thinner. What I can't seem to remember is about the visual "seam" down the middle that stretches from the center of the deck lid up to the roof.  Is that seam/ peak or whatever it's called present on all factory 67's and 68's?  The repro glass doesn't have it.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear glass- Original versus reproduction differences
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
My understanding was the factory glass does have the etched line.  (also as you indicate in your post the factory glass was tinted on all cars A/C or not A/C)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Rear glass- Original versus reproduction differences
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »
My understanding was the factory glass does have the etched line.  (also as you indicate in your post the factory glass was tinted on all cars A/C or not A/C)
some of the repro glass has the etched line and some doesn't . The no line is in some cases preferable given they can be off center sometimes from the mfg . It is easy to put the etched line in and line it up with a given cars body line assuring a perfect match. +1 all the back glass should be tinted. Believe me concours or not you would not want it clear.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby