Author Topic: 67 GT500 VIN Location  (Read 3296 times)

tag031

• View Profile
67 GT500 VIN Location
« on: October 22, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »
I'm sure this question has been covered before but......
I'm looking at a 67 Shelby GT500, 4-speed. I'd like to know more specifically the VIN location on the transmission? Passenger side, drivers side, top, bottom etc. Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 VIN Location
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
I'm sure this question has been covered before but......
I'm looking at a 67 Shelby GT500, 4-speed. I'd like to know more specifically the VIN location on the transmission? Passenger side, drivers side, top, bottom etc. Thanks in advance.
On the pad located on the bottom side of the main case of the trans near where the tailhousing bolts to the main case .It is easy to spot if there .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »
another view ...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »
Question:  which / when were the transmission stamping pads machined (smooth) versus cast (rough)?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 09:38:41 PM »
Question:  which / when were the transmission stamping pads machined (smooth) versus cast (rough)?

That has been a long deep discussion IMHO and may or may not be tied to when the car was built. Of course machined/ground surface can always be a clue that it may be a restamp even if it was originally done that way ;)

There are compression tests that can be done to determine if there is another/different stamping in the metal on the pad but not that easy to do

Still seeking clues and examples from other car lines built on the same line at San Jose for comparison

Of course checking a transmission would also include the documenting of the casting date found on the main case also
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:44:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 10:48:34 PM »
That has been a long deep discussion IMHO and may or may not be tied to when the car was built. Of course machined/ground surface can always be a clue that it may be a restamp even if it was originally done that way ;)

There are compression tests that can be done to determine if there is another/different stamping in the metal on the pad but not that easy to do

Still seeking clues and examples from other car lines built on the same line at San Jose for comparison

Of course checking a transmission would also include the documenting of the casting date found on the main case also

and the transmission tag riveted on the side which would have the model and sequential number for that specific transmission relative to others in cars from the same DSO.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
and the transmission tag riveted on the side which would have the model and sequential number for that specific transmission relative to others in cars from the same DSO.

+1 Good addition JD
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 04:51:49 AM »
The Ford VIN can be found under the Shelby Plate and under the fender in this area. On the Apron passenger side there is also the Shelby Vin near the shock tower.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
Thanks Jeff and JD!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »
The Ford VIN can be found under the Shelby Plate and under the fender in this area. On the Apron passenger side there is also the Shelby Vin near the shock tower.
You forgot to mention the Ford VIN stamped in the apron on the passenger side typically under the fender once installed. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 03:37:23 AM »
Yes I was in a hurry when writing this
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 11:40:30 AM »
Some cars also had the Ford Vin tag still riveted on the door.  Ive had 4 of these cars with the tag on the door that they didnt remove at Shelby
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 07:55:08 AM »
Thats rare, did you ever made pictures of these, I have never seen them with a door tag

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 08:05:50 AM »
Here you go Kent...

I purchased a 67 GT 500 project a few years back...
And there it was...

The door tag..!

Really cool to see a door tag with a "Q" for an engine code