Author Topic: Brake rotor restoration  (Read 3572 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Brake rotor restoration
« on: October 23, 2019, 06:24:08 PM »
just finished restoring a pair of assemblyline rotors for a very special 65 GT350.  stop and see it displayed at MCACN  Nov. 23/24
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Brake rotor restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 12:43:02 PM »
Hi Jim,

Can these OEM assembly line rotors be rebuilt/restored with spray welding technology?  Or is it so expensive it would be cost prohibitive?  I am assuming you started with a rotor that was pretty nice to begin with and did not need material added to the rotor faces.

Thanks for sharing.

Cory

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
just finished restoring a pair of assemblyline rotors for a very special 65 GT350.  stop and see it displayed at MCACN  Nov. 23/24

Looking forward to that!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 02:08:50 PM »
Knowing Jim and knowing the car, whatever cost, in this case it will be worth it
Almost anything can be restored but it’s the value the owner must set as what’s “too expensive “. I trying to plan to go to MCACN this year and this is one car I really want to see. It will be awesome
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 05:30:36 PM »
Worth the price of admission alone.......beautiful work.....
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
actually it doesnt cost that much to do these.  If the rotor is close to specs and pretty even we can do them if they have no gouges.   its  one of those jobs where I had to make my own tools to get the back together.  I have about two hrs in each rotor plus new bearings  and the cost to get the hats lightly machined.  Last step is to ge them turned with a small skim cut after assembly.   Seeing that anybody thats going to the extent for soemthing like this I doubt the car will ever be driven very far or hard so running them undersize a few thousandths isnt an issue.  Ive had nos rotors in the K/H  Boxes that measured less than spec when new.
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member