Author Topic: Arkansas Event?  (Read 8609 times)

A-Snake

• View Profile
Re: Arkansas Event?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »

That just reinforces my point. If you're going to put on one of these things, the logical thing to do is reach out to local like-minded people and get them on board up-front. They're the ones who know the good roads. They know the good places to eat and the stations with good gas. They know the sites that are worth seeing and the ones that are over-rated tourist traps. They might be willing to offer their garage with a lift to anyone who needs it. Take advantage of their hospitality. It'll be easier for the organizers and result in a better experience for the participants.

You are assuming ground work like this isn't done before a tour. ;) Of course it is! In the case of the Cobra Arkansas tour we toured across Arkansas from East to West staying at two different locations.  We had help from a local Shelby guy on recommended restaurants, places to visit and in fact he helped in servicing one of the cars that had alternator & tire problems when we were in his area. As I mentioned, planning these tours is done months in advance.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:07:36 PM by A-Snake »

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 03:36:23 PM »
The tour group does not know  route until  after 1st night dinner
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

R Code

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 06:06:13 PM »
Jay, you are truly blessed to live in a beautiful part of the world with great roads & lovely people.

Think of it this way: We might be able to cram 15 people in my wife's Suburban, but it would be unsafe & everyone would be uncomfortable.
- Chris

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »
Another one for the record books
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »
A car guys high
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 08:41:47 PM »

Think of it this way: We might be able to cram 15 people in my wife's Suburban, but it would be unsafe & everyone would be uncomfortable.

No argument from me, I just have no idea what that has to do with anything.

Jay
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 08:48:35 PM »
A car guys high

Thanks for rubbing our noses in it. Classy.
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »
Since I own a GT350 I guess my nose was rubbed in it also but I'm OK with that.  ;DIt looks like it was a fun time and I hope they have many more to come. If all of us  were all invited I don't think anyone would have fun with all the confusion and congestion. For what it's worth I kinda think there are a few other get togethers that I haven't been invited to.Just my honest opinion.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 08:31:08 AM »
Since I own a GT350 I guess my nose was rubbed in it also but I'm OK with that.  ;DIt looks like it was a fun time and I hope they have many more to come. If all of us  were all invited I don't think anyone would have fun with all the confusion and congestion. For what it's worth I kinda think there are a few other get togethers that I haven't been invited to.Just my honest opinion.

TOB

TOB, do you live in Arkansas? Are you one of the local owners who requested information about where we might see the cars as they came through our area but was rebuffed? 'Cause I don't recognize your handle  or the picture of your car.  If those statements don't apply to you, then no, no one is rubbing anything in your face by posting pictures and bragging about the tour in this thread. If you are from around here, then send me a message, let's get together. I love meeting fellow owners and learning about their cars! First beverage of your choice is on me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:58:50 AM by cj750 »

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
....If you are from around here, then send me a message, let's get together. I love meeting fellow owners and learning about their cars! First beverage of your choice is on me.

Nice work.. that's the spirit.

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »

No argument from me, I just have no idea what that has to do with anything.

Jay

I think the point is  if you add an unlimited number of  people the event gets out of hand quickly .  This is not a yearly event in arkansas  it changes locations  . A lot of planning is done a year in advance . It is kept to limited number due to  lodging  and  feeding the group in a timely manner .  Until you  have   planned one of these events  it is hard to grasp all the details that need to fall into place to make them  a success.    (nobody is stopping you in your region ) 

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
If all of us  were all invited I don't think anyone would have fun with all the confusion and congestion.

I think the point is  if you add an unlimited number of  people the event gets out of hand quickly .  This is not a yearly event in arkansas  it changes locations  . A lot of planning is done a year in advance . It is kept to limited number due to  lodging  and  feeding the group in a timely manner .

That's the  point that I was trying to make using a little humor (I guess I failed)... :-[

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »

I think the point is  if you add an unlimited number of  people the event gets out of hand quickly .  This is not a yearly event in arkansas  it changes locations  . A lot of planning is done a year in advance . It is kept to limited number due to  lodging  and  feeding the group in a timely manner .  Until you  have   planned one of these events  it is hard to grasp all the details that need to fall into place to make them  a success.    (nobody is stopping you in your region )

Again, no argument from me, but still irrelevant. No one (that I know of) asked to be "added to" the event. Merely for the opportunity to view the cars in the tour group during one of their planned stops. Nothing that would require altering the route or schedule in any way, or adding to the logistical burden one iota.

Jay

R Code

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2019, 12:12:56 AM »
REALITY CHECK: a handful of people and cars enjoying each other's company is not intended to be an affront to anyone.

For the love of Pete, I am an outsider's outsider, but reconnected with people I see (these days) once every 5, 10, 20 years.

If you set up a "standing tour" in your area of influence, I guarantee people would come.  I'd come, if you allow Cougars/Merkurs.
- Chris

shlby66

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2019, 10:57:16 AM »
" Merely for the opportunity to view the cars in the tour group during one of their planned stops. Nothing that would require altering the route or schedule in any way, or adding to the logistical burden one iota."
Jay
[/quote]

And, that, is one of the reasons, the routes, that will be driven, are not revealed. When 20 Shelby's
  or Cobra's, arrive, at a very small town center, it's rather busy, trying to park, with all the other locals
  and traffic, especially, around lunch times. If this little town was named, as a stopping point, there
  would be any number of enterlopers.

Besides, these are private Tours, participation is by invitation, only. There is no affiliation with SAAC
  or anyone else. Just a small group, of Shelby enthusiasts, getting together, to enjoy using their cars,
  as they were intended. Sharing the experience and enjoying the camaraderie. There is no reason, to   
  announce, what, when or where, we will be.

Doug C.