News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

R model/drag headers

Started by TLea, February 22, 2018, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlplunkett

This thread wandered around a little so I hope it's OK to ask about the R model roadrace cars. I have always thought that all the cars had the triY headers. Did some of the cars use other headers? If so, is there any significant power gain? Is there a commercially available option that would be suitable/similar for a tribute car that won't suffer the scrutiny of concurs judging?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mlplunkett on January 08, 2020, 11:47:36 AM
This thread wandered around a little so I hope it's OK to ask about the R model roadrace cars. I have always thought that all the cars had the triY headers. Did some of the cars use other headers? If so, is there any significant power gain? Is there a commercially available option that would be suitable/similar for a tribute car that won't suffer the scrutiny of concurs judging?
I think the team cars all used the best available which at the time were the equal length type headers that produced more HP under competition conditions that SA commissioned to be designed for competition. The privateer campaigned cars that SA sold to the public given that SA would potentially be racing against didn't always have the advantages that the team cars did .  ;)     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

+1 The Rmodels were built with triYs , no question there ( well on my part anyway)  I don't have the '65 homalogation papers so I can't check to see if they were included. I do have the '66 and up papers and they were listed.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CSX 4133

You might look in to Stan's Tri-Y headers. They offer street/strip and competition versions.

http://www.stans-headers.com/tri_y.htm

gt350hr

Judging /scrutiny on a tribute ?? I'm confused.

TLea

Quote from: TJinSA on January 03, 2020, 09:10:57 PM
I got a set of those (I believe), intended to go on one of the original 67 coupes, but I diverted them to go onto 6S296.  Therein I ran into some fitment problems; if they are of the same batch, I had to make a couple of dents in attempt to fit them in the 65/6 engine bay.  I had mine flat black ceramic coated before installing them, so I stopped right there, and they have been garage art since >:(

Yes every set of the 90's version we saw had dents (hammer massaging) from fitment issues. From 20 feet away they look OK but in addition to fit they lacked quite a few of the subtle details.
The comp headers we are doing are getting close but as is typical with these projects they have been a major investment in time and money. That is what makes great parts great and why so many reproduction parts are not. They are in final production now and we have fit a set to 2 different chassis. They are perfect.

mlplunkett

Just meant to say that, while I'm trying to keep a high standard of originality, my standards aren't as high as most of you guys. This is an excellent forum and I'd love to be collecting info to preserve an original but I'm just not that fortunate. I want authentic appearance when I can get it and nearly authentic when I cant.

Judging /scrutiny on a tribute ?? I'm confused.
[/quote]
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

gt350hr

I can appreciate your effort. Nice to see that. Best of luck with your project.

shelbydoug

Authentic means you have to beat them with a hammer to fit?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TLea

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 09, 2020, 03:11:12 PM
Authentic means you have to beat them with a hammer to fit?
That would be the tri ys. Almost every set of originals has the same dents in the same place. Theory is they were made before quick ratio pitman/idler were out. That's where they always seem to be dinged

Vernon Estes

Quote from: gt350hr on January 08, 2020, 01:31:22 PM
   +1 The Rmodels were built with triYs , no question there ( well on my part anyway)  I don't have the '65 homalogation papers so I can't check to see if they were included. I do have the '66 and up papers and they were listed.
    Randy

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I figured I should respond specifically to this. I own the original 65 homologation papers which were submitted by SAI for the 1965 GT350. Every picture present on the papers shows prototype parts and even the cars pictured are the two styling prototypes which were received by Shelby American before the initial 3 GT350s arrived at SAI.

The papers do show prototype versions of Tri-Y headers in two photographs..they are similar to the production headers but have much shorter collectors among other clear differences.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

shelbydoug

What's the big deal? You only need a small hammer to fit them.

They were intended as race cars not Concourse contestants. Get over it.

Actually I have had this issue with the Pitman arms on other headers. JBA's to be specific. Apparently no one noticed the difference between the clearances needed for the Shelby pitman arms and the stock needing additional clearances on those tubes?

In my case since they were not tri-y's, the #5 tube prevented the car from turning left and needed to be relocated.

I am just mentioning this here just in case someone else runs into this situation, you shouldn't be shocked?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TLea

I never came back and posted here but I have about four sets of the R model Trans Am headers.  They were also used on some of the late cobras. They are not just close they are 100% exact and perfect in every way. Contact me if interest

shelbydoug

Quote from: TLea on January 21, 2023, 05:08:52 PM
I never came back and posted here but I have about four sets of the R model Trans Am headers.  They were also used on some of the late cobras. They are not just close they are 100% exact and perfect in every way. Contact me if interest

Those were the headers that you had made, right?

I don't remember you ever posting pictures of them here? Can you or at least post the link to them? Are they 1-3/4" primaries? 2"? Equal length? Header nerds need to know? Ooops! That's me!  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!