News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

R model/drag headers

Started by TLea, February 22, 2018, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

those  look like mine  ;D I will get some pictures of them on the car  tommorow
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

TLea

There's another thing to consider here. Doug's  as well as other header manufacturers were not a one-man show where one guy was sitting at one machine making headers all day long.  They were constantly evolving and getting new tubing benders that were capable of doing different things. Even on the two sets of headers I have we see the weld on the number seven port as they were not able to make that bend in that direction on the machine but also one  has two welds on one of the passenger side tubes because of a similar situation.
I don't think that necessarily means they were done at a different time. But very well could mean they were done on different machines at the same facility

6s2020

Quote from: TLea on April 21, 2018, 11:48:25 AM
There's another thing to consider here. Doug's  as well as other header manufacturers were not a one-man show where one guy was sitting at one machine making headers all day long.  They were constantly evolving and getting new tubing benders that were capable of doing different things. Even on the two sets of headers I have we see the weld on the number seven port as they were not able to make that bend in that direction on the machine but also one  has two welds on one of the passenger side tubes because of a similar situation.
I don't think that necessarily means they were done at a different time. But very well could mean they were done on different machines at the same facility

Just checked, yep #7 tube has the same weld.
Got photo, what to do ... what to do...LOL
I will try later to post.....
and check passenger side

Not sure i could do it again, but i did it, post a frekin photo that is

shelbydoug

Now everyone is going to run out and add the weld to theirs.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

How tough is it to change plugs with these? Looks like a couple of spots are real problems?

The other thing with these equal length primaries is that in the Mustang a couple of those tubes on both sides are right up against the firewall. Do you need high heat glue on your sneakers?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s2020

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 22, 2018, 07:40:09 AM
How tough is it to change plugs with these? Looks like a couple of spots are real problems?

The other thing with these equal length primaries is that in the Mustang a couple of those tubes on both sides are right up against the firewall. Do you need high heat glue on your sneakers?

Like a lot of cars it is a bit tight to do plugs, i just modify tools to get it done. :o

shelbydoug

I'm not affraid! '67 GT500 owner here!  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

5s127

This is a set a friend made about 20 years ago. Planned to install them on 5s127 but have been on the wall since.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: TLea on April 17, 2018, 07:50:41 AM...The headers made for SAI were predominately made by Dougs (Thorley)
That is for the street cars. This thread started about the drag headers. Geography plays a part here too. SA drag cars were prepped by Les Ritchey who owned Performance Associates in Glendora. Bellanger was in Covina so an easy source. Gas Ronda moved to Russ Davis Ford in Covina from Downtown (LA) Motors to be near his engine builder - Les Ritchey.  Les was killed in a 66 drag race at Fontana. When Bellenger closed I've heard two stories on where their jigs went. One was Hooker and the other to Mexico. I tend to think Mexico as some cheap $39 Bellenger looking headers were around in the 80s.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

The "street" headers were made by Cyclone exclusively. Drag headers were supplied by Doug . There is paperwork to substantiate this. Yes Bellanger made some Cobra headers and it IS possible Doug looked at their Mustang offering before building his version BUT they are both very distinct in design to the trained eye. Tim reviewed MANY available period catalog photos AND original examples of both , before investing in having "true" reproductions made. Even the '90s S&S repops were looked at and despite having a real set to copy , there were "allowances" made that Tim's do NOT have. This header was also an upgrade fro road race cars and were original equipment on SAI built "sedan racers" ( coupes). It is a very distinct header in a side by side comparison.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TJinSA

Quote from: 5s127 on January 03, 2020, 11:34:43 AM
This is a set a friend made about 20 years ago. Planned to install them on 5s127 but have been on the wall since.

I got a set of those (I believe), intended to go on one of the original 67 coupes, but I diverted them to go onto 6S296.  Therein I ran into some fitment problems; if they are of the same batch, I had to make a couple of dents in attempt to fit them in the 65/6 engine bay.  I had mine flat black ceramic coated before installing them, so I stopped right there, and they have been garage art since >:(

Tom Kubler
6S296

shelbydoug

There are small differences in the chassis from year to year. The 66 is tighter.

Oddly enough the pitman arm fits differently from the 66 to 67 chassis. It will clear on the 66 on the #5 tube but not the 67. Not without a big crimp to the tube.

There are also varying clearance issues with the z-bar from brand to brand and year to year even from hipo to non-hi-po.

The best advice is to fit them to the car first, THEN send them for coating. Contrary to popular opinion, you do not need a 40 pound sledge hammer. A 20 oz ball peen hammer will do fine.  ;D

THEN figure out what you are going to do with spark plug wires to keep them from melting, here and there? ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Plug wire routing was a major issue when I ran them , I remember that very well . I HAD to run the orange silicone rubber coated wires for sure. #7 or 8 needed a 90* boot. They are difficult to install and the HiPo Z bar is a must. For the time , they were the best header out there , I tried "most" of the others including the TRUE 180* firing order set made by SAI. I think Jay Cushman still has them.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350shelb

my set has a mixture of straight and 90 boots to keep the  electrons away from the pipes
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .